PDA

View Full Version : Need help writing this puzzle. (Solvability check)

qwertyu63
2013-04-21, 01:38 PM
I'm having difficulty extracting myself from the fact that I know these characters, to find if the clues are enough to solve it, without my info from outside the clues. Thank you in advance.

------------------------------

Can you figure out the love web among these characters using the provided clues?

The characters:
Male: Psych, Alloy, Terra, Pyro, Areo, Tick, Nick.
Female: Shade, Volt, Ivy, Tone, Emote, Frost, Force, Lum, Aqua.

1: Most characters in this web are straight... Most.
2: There are 3 stable relationships in the web.
3: Ivy has two guys after her... Sadly for them she is an exception to clue 1.
4: One character is not connected to anyone else at all.
5: Psych is such a nerd that his only connection is to his girlfriend.
6: Tone is after 2 different guys, but both of them are after another girl(s).
7: Frost is after only one guy, but he is already in a relationship.
8: Aqua, Volt and Force all have boyfriends.
9: Neither Shade nor Force really cares as to the gender of any partners.
10: Terra is only after one girl, but he has no chance with her.
11: Ivy does have a chance of being with her lone target.
12: Volt knows someone is after her boyfriend, but doesn't know who.
13: Pyro is after 2 girls and has 2 girls after him.
14: Of the stable relationships, only one has any other connections.
15: There is a case where 2 characters are after each other, unaware it is mutual.
16: Nick and his girlfriend have no external connections.
17: Alloy is chasing a pointless venture, and has some girl chasing him.
18: Psych and Aqua are not connected in any way.
19: Shade is after nobody, but does have someone after her.
20: Areo has some girl after him, but he doesn't know about it.
21: No one is after Terra.
22: Lum is after just one guy, and has just one guy after her.
23: Pyro is not after Ivy.
24: No one in a stable relationship is after anyone outside of it.
25: No one is into Tick, but Tick is into someone that Pyro is into.

------------------------------

EDIT: The answer can be found here (http://i.imgur.com/ojz3eHh.png), if you want to check your work.

EDIT 2: Italics are added in after the post.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2013-04-21, 03:01 PM
I would maybe give the number of connections in clue 14, reword the two clues with the phrase "some girl," or clarify that any two people who are "after" each other would be in a relationship if they were aware of it.

Basically, as it's written now, I figured out the solution you presented and another solution in which Volt was dating Pyro, who was having an affair; this left room for Lum/Areo as the two people after each other who did not know it, while Pyro and Frost were after each other and simply not in a relationship because Pyro hadn't left Volt, for whatever reason. I assumed your solution was the correct one, since it was more elegant/less of a "trick," but rewording any one of those clues to be more definite would solidly rule out Pyro/Volt. Maybe I over-analyzed, though, and nobody else would look for tricks in the wording like that; I was a lit major, not a logician. :smallwink:

qwertyu63
2013-04-21, 03:54 PM
I would maybe give the number of connections in clue 14, reword the two clues with the phrase "some girl," or clarify that any two people who are "after" each other would be in a relationship if they were aware of it.

Basically, as it's written now, I figured out the solution you presented and another solution in which Volt was dating Pyro, who was having an affair; this left room for Lum/Areo as the two people after each other who did not know it, while Pyro and Frost were after each other and simply not in a relationship because Pyro hadn't left Volt, for whatever reason. I assumed your solution was the correct one, since it was more elegant/less of a "trick," but rewording any one of those clues to be more definite would solidly rule out Pyro/Volt. Maybe I over-analyzed, though, and nobody else would look for tricks in the wording like that; I was a lit major, not a logician. :smallwink:

Would the addition of this clue do it?

"24: No one in a stable relationship is after anyone outside of it."

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2013-04-21, 04:00 PM
Yeah, that would also work.

TheWolfe
2013-05-02, 03:44 PM
I don't have time to solve it right now, but one thing I'd like to say is that you might want to consider making the names more clearly masculine and feminine. I understand if these are characters from a story or you're trying to make it harder, but I find it irritating that after every clue I have to check whether Volt or Frost or whatever is a guy or a girl. It makes it harder for me to visualize the problem. Just my 2 cents.

Also, as a Mathematics student, I'd like to give a tip for checking solvability. I would try to check it the same way I would present a mathematical proof. So literally write down the logical deductions that you do to conclude a fact. So for example, you write down:

"From clue 3 we can conclude that Alice is in a stable relationship. From clue 15 and [earlier deduction] we can conclude that Bob is the only person after Alice. From these facts we can conclude that Alice and Bob are in a relationship."

(Not an actual deduction for this puzzle, just an example).

This way you eliminate any possible bias that you as creator might have and also check whether there are enough clues to deduce certain information. If you need like 10 different clues to deduce a fact then it might be too hard.