PDA

View Full Version : Half-Ogre?

korrgekk
2013-04-21, 04:42 PM
I'm brand new to the forums but I've been playing 3.5 for a few months so my knowledge about it is limited. Are half-ogres a good race to play as a barbarian? What sort of build should i go with for him for maximum melee damage? If you reference any books, please putt he full name so I can find it to use.

Thanks for any help.

Karnith
2013-04-21, 04:54 PM
Well, the first step in this discussion should probably be for you to clarify which Half-Ogre you're using. The race was officially in Savage Species and Races of Destiny, and additionally was detailed as a template in an issue of Dragon Magazine, and they're all different.

Nettlekid
2013-04-21, 05:03 PM
Most people would say yes, it is good, because there are a lot of feats that melee warriors can use to great effect and that can only be taken if you are size Large or larger. For example, Knockback. It allows you to, whenever you make a hit using Power Attack, initiate a Bull Rush and add the Power Attack damage bonus to your roll. Many Barbarian builds make great use of the Power Attack-Improved Bull Rush-Shock Trooper line, along with Pounce, plus other boosters like Leap Attack to get incredibly high damage. With Knockback in the picture, you're now hurling any struck foe (even those you nab with an AoO) with a Bull Rush mod of Str+4+BAB*2(or *3 with Leap Attack). That's a pretty nice mod. Many Barbarian builds have been based entirely around that.

gorfnab
2013-04-21, 05:09 PM
Barbarian (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=9488ls1ogds04rl823oa8veku4&topic=486) Handbooks (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=9488ls1ogds04rl823oa8veku4&topic=1472)

Besides high damage output, what else are you planning to do with the Barbarian?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-04-21, 05:26 PM
Strictly speaking since the Races of Destiny is the most recent version you should use that one.

LOTRfan
2013-04-21, 05:34 PM
Besides the difference in Level Adjustment, what are the mechanical differences between the two?

korrgekk
2013-04-21, 08:12 PM
Well, the first step in this discussion should probably be for you to clarify which Half-Ogre you're using. The race was officially in Savage Species and Races of Destiny, and additionally was detailed as a template in an issue of Dragon Magazine, and they're all different.

I only knew of Races of Destiny and that is what i have.

My party consists of a high-defense fighter, a high defense knight, a rogue that is focused around traps, a healer and a bard. I'm taking up the offensive melee role and another friend is taking up an offensive spellcaster. I'm just looking for a melee powerhouse but we can only have +2 Level adjustment.

Deaxsa
2013-04-21, 10:58 PM
Strictly speaking since the Races of Destiny is the most recent version you should use that one.

is there any list of publish/update dates for all the books?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-04-22, 11:05 AM
Races of Destiny was published December 2004 while Savage species was published February 2003 according to wikipedia. Since I don't know in which issue of Dragon Half-Ogre was printed I can't check.

HurinTheCursed
2013-04-29, 03:10 PM
The half ogres from DragonLance setting are not bad, having nice bonus in the two important stats and maluses in lesser stats, night vision and natural armor. They're medium but a 1-st level feat treat them as large when it's beneficial and their favored class is fighter.
I still prefer my minotaur with no LA but they share similarities.