PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 How should these items be priced?

Blacklitelust
2013-04-21, 05:51 PM
These are some homebrew items I designed for a character in my group. He wants a Link-like character ala Legend of Zelda, so I figured these would be fairly decent as an item set, but I don't know how they should be priced.

The Sword of Ages: +2 Holy Evil Outsider Bane Longsword; user may make ranged attacks with the sword while at full health.

Reflecting Shield: +2 Heavy Silver Shield; reflects all ranged attacks as though the user had the deflect arrows feat and Ray Reflection spell active. Only usable on rounds in which the wielder made only a standard or move action.

Millennial Tunic: DR 5/- and SR 5+character level; DR 10/- and SR 10+character level after Character level 15.

Vadskye
2013-04-21, 06:28 PM
user may make ranged attacks with the sword while at full health.

That sounds like a combination of Throwing and Returning, except that you can make iterative attacks. Let's call the ability to make full iterative attacks at range an extra +1 bonus, for a total of +3 for this ability. But the "while at full health" clause is a pretty significant restriction. We can debate about whether that makes it a +2 or a +1 for cost purposes, but I think I'll go with +1. That totals to a +2 sword with +4 special abilities (+2 from holy, +1 from bane, +1 from ranged attacks), for a total of 72,000 gp for the Sword of Ages.

reflects all ranged attacks as though the user had the deflect arrows feat and Ray Reflection spell active. Only usable on rounds in which the wielder made only a standard or move action.
This makes more sense as "You may take a move action to hold the shield at ready. If you do so, it reflects all ranged attacks as though the user had the deflect arrows feat and ray deflection spell active" until the start of your next turn.

The core price modifier for an at-will activated 4th level spell is 4*7*1800 gp = 50,400 gp. The fact that it is move action instead of standard action makes it significantly more useful, but ray deflection is a minute/level spell and we're effectively getting its benefits for only 1 round at a time, so let's say that those two factors cancel out.
We already know the price for putting deflect arrows on a shield: it's a +2 bonus. But this version takes an action to activate, making it weaker. On the other hand, it doesn't require a Reflex save to deflect the arrow, making it significantly stronger. Let's assume those two things cancel out as well, making it still worth a +2 bonus.
That means we're looking at a +2 shield with a property that costs a +2 bonus and a property that should cost about 50,000. For lack of a more creative way to put them together, let's just slap on an extra 50,000 to the price of a +4 shield, giving a total cost of 66,000 gp.

DR 5/- and SR 5+character level; DR 10/- and SR 10+character level after Character level 15.
This doesn't work like any normal D&D magic item. This makes it difficult to price.

Blacklitelust
2013-04-21, 06:48 PM
Wow, thanks. That's a great start. Now I just need to come up with some way to price the Tunic and I'll have a great item set for him. I'll probably have to look at the Legacy Item stuff to get a general idea about it. I may change the restriction from level to some for of ritual... make it an actual legacy item... or maybe even modify all three items such that they all become legacy items, since his character does have a legacy to uphold :smallwink:

Edit: Oops, I totally left out the intention of only allowing ONE ranged attack per round with the sword...

Vadskye
2013-04-21, 07:24 PM
My memory is a little fuzzy, but didn't Link get more than one tunic over the course of the game? You could have each tunic give a fixed effect, like a D&D item normally would, and just have the later tunic be more powerful.

And if it is only one ranged attack/round with the sword, it is definitely only a +1 modifier. Same price as I gave, then.

lightningcat
2013-04-21, 07:34 PM
The only thing Vadskye forgot is the base and masterwork costs of the items, and if you want them to be crafted of a special material.

Now, do you want the shield to be silver, or just metal? Or maybe mithral?

As for the Millennial Tunic, you could combine a Mantle of Spell Resistance and a Mantle of Faith (SR 21 and DR 5/evil) costing 204,000 gp.

Blacklitelust
2013-04-21, 07:47 PM
The shield could be made of anything, really, as long as it is reflective and all that. I want to emulate the appearance of some of the various Mirror Shields Link received throughout his various incarnations.

As for the tunic, I could just make two separate items I suppose. One to emulate the Blue Tunic from LTTP (by far my favorite Zelda game) and one to emulate the Red Tunic. I just thought it would be nifty if, instead of finding a bunch of tunics, his just kind of changed and got stronger.

BTW, the campaign we are doing is a high power gestalt campaign, so I am in no way concerned with imbalance... in fact, the players all started at level one and received a major magic item at the start... three players got +4 books, the other was handed a +5 Thundering brilliant energy Dwarven Waraxe (which I nerfed to +2 instead of the +5, and all were random rolls) So, yeah...

Also, the players are level 7 and getting ready to run through Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, so I am not sure when to introduce these items to "Hitch" as the Link Character has been named...