PDA

View Full Version : C-list party

hoff
2013-04-21, 06:35 PM
Over the course of the years the comic collected quite a few C-list characters and my genre saviness say that they will be back someday (probably in the finale, a la Seinfeld), then I came to the conclusion that some of them might join forces together to make a C-list adventuring party.

Mine C-List party would be:

The Leader / The Rogue:
Gannji. Awesome sauce.

The Lancer / Support:
The bard chick from greysky that Belkar nailed.

The Smart Guy / Arcane Spellcasting:
Chuckhttp://oots.wikia.com/wiki/Chuck. Finally overcame his levels of sucking.

The Chick / Healing :
The Cleric of Loki from greysky city. Now solving problems with violence.

The Big Guy / Meat Shield:
Enor, obviously.

The Sixth Ranger / The Foil:
I really wanted to place Therkla here, but I don't see she coming back from the dead. So I choose Julio Scoundrél because he is awesome, plus he is fated to cross paths with Elan again and die in a heroic sacrifice.

I just want to point out that c-list is for more obscure characters. O-chul or Celia wouldn't be C-list they are B-list (or A-list if you consider PCs to be above A-list).

Who would be on your C-List party?

137beth
2013-04-21, 07:09 PM
Why would those people team up with each other?

TRH
2013-04-21, 07:16 PM
Chuck is dead, and if Ganji and Enor count as C-listers, then Chuck is a D-lister or worse. Same with that Bard named Jenny, honestly. Both D-listers.

Wonder what a D-lister party would look like.

oppyu
2013-04-21, 07:22 PM
Leader: Julio Scoundrel
Lancer: Rookie Cop, Niu
Big Guy: Enor, Crystal
Smart Guy: Gannji
Chick: Jenny, Greysky Cleric

EDIT: Revised
Leader: Niu
Lancer: Greysky Cleric
Smart Guy: Wizard Guy
Big Guy: Samantha, Gortok the Destroyer
Chick: Jenny

Kish
2013-04-21, 07:23 PM
Why not skip straight to the Z-lister party?

oppyu
2013-04-21, 07:27 PM
Sir Thumb, Solt Lorkyurg, Batman, Detective John Munch, Kuurkk the Anemic.

Gift Jeraff
2013-04-21, 07:38 PM

Because Z's already in a party, duh.

Rakoa
2013-04-21, 07:40 PM
I see no mention of Wizard Guy yet. I'm very disappointed.

CletusMusashi
2013-04-21, 07:41 PM
Samantha, the hotel assassins, Pompey, and the now-evil Larry Gardener.

Domino Quartz
2013-04-21, 08:34 PM
Samantha, the hotel assassins, Pompey, and the now-evil Larry Gardener.

Samantha's dead. Miko killed her.

TRH
2013-04-21, 08:41 PM
As is Larry Gardener, whom I doubt would get Raised when nobody seemed to like him.

C-lister party, though, lemme see...

Leader: The Cliffport Police chief. (No reason he couldn't get raised)

Lancer: Niu (seems more oriented towards a support role, anyway)

Big Guy: Chief Grukgruk

Smart Guy: Wizard Guy

The Chick: Sangwaan

FlawedParadigm
2013-04-21, 10:31 PM
I don't know how we can have a Z-list without what's-his-name Elan used to serve.

Olinser
2013-04-21, 10:59 PM
I don't know how we can have a Z-list without what's-his-name Elan used to serve.

Sir Francois.

But he at least seemed reasonably competent. If he had a mid-level bard (Elan was 7th or 8th level at the time) as his squire then he was probably at least 9th or 10th level. He's definitely not a first-stringer, but not the bottom of the barrel either.

FlawedParadigm
2013-04-21, 11:27 PM
Sir Francois.

But he at least seemed reasonably competent. If he had a mid-level bard (Elan was 7th or 8th level at the time) as his squire then he was probably at least 9th or 10th level. He's definitely not a first-stringer, but not the bottom of the barrel either.

So far as his involvement in this strip, I'd say he qualifies for Z-list. He's had what, maybe ten lines? :p

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-04-22, 01:16 AM
So far as his involvement in this strip, I'd say he qualifies for Z-list. He's had what, maybe ten lines? :p

Whoa, ten whole lines? That's more than all of Soon's fellow ghost-martyrs combined!

Jenny would fit pretty well into team neutral, sitting in the same functional position as Elan and Nale and being relevant as Belkar's lover, but she's way too significant to be relegated all the way to the Z-list.

Hmm... in lieu of anyone completely in the background, perhaps the aptly-named Hobgoblin Cleric Number 2 could fit the healer role there? Wait, no, getting your own punchline would probably put you at at least list R:

Warrior: A yellow-footed rock wallaby
Sneaky: An anti-meatloaf ninja
Mage: A bucket of popcorn
Healer: Hobgoblin Cleric #2
Face: Goblin Dan, restaurateur
Kobold: A guy whose cousin was hit by a rock thrown by a halfling and eaten by a tiger.

EDIT: It occurred to me that fruit pie is actually unambiguously on the Order's side, and also dead.

Marlowe
2013-04-22, 01:36 AM
No mention of Julia Greenhilt or Hilgya Firehelm?

Seriously, while I like a lot of these characters, I think the ony one we're likely to see again is Niu. She's the only one with a direct connection to the plot.

I would to get some kind of confirmed dead-or-alive status on Sangwaan (the way she exited the strip was a little abrupt) but she simply wasn't an important or developed enough character to make it likely.

Mike Havran
2013-04-22, 01:48 AM
Leader: Gannji

Lancer: Niu

Meat shield: Enor

Smart Guy: Leeky Windstaff (seriously, nobody mentioned him yet? He rocks.) + Pompey as his cohort.

Chick: Cole (Greysky priest)

Obscure Blade
2013-04-22, 03:39 AM
For the Z-list wizard, I'd suggest the goblin wizard from Start of Darkness, page 30.

Right-Eye: "OK then, shall I reintroduce you to the most powerful goblin wizard we have met since the town was burned?"

Goblin Wizard: <grinning idiotically> "Pork!"

Olinser
2013-04-22, 08:07 AM
No mention of Julia Greenhilt or Hilgya Firehelm?

Seriously, while I like a lot of these characters, I think the ony one we're likely to see again is Niu. She's the only one with a direct connection to the plot.

I would to get some kind of confirmed dead-or-alive status on Sangwaan (the way she exited the strip was a little abrupt) but she simply wasn't an important or developed enough character to make it likely.

Uh.... she got chomped by a zombie dragon and thrown off a castle wall. That's as about confirmed dead as you can get for an NPC like her.

FlawedParadigm
2013-04-22, 08:16 AM
Whoa, ten whole lines? That's more than all of Soon's fellow ghost-martyrs combined!

They also got a few strips in the actual main comic. I think Francois got one panel from the TeeVo? :p

Deepbluediver
2013-04-22, 08:41 AM
I question Julio's inclusion as a "C-lister"; he seems like one of the most competent and genre-savvy characters around (second only to Big T). Plus, he's got enough resources at his command to have an entire airship and crew on standby. Unless, of course, you where just using "C-list" to imply characters who get less screen time.

Jay R
2013-04-22, 11:10 AM

Really? You think he's worse than Baron Pineapple? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html)

Rogar Demonblud
2013-04-22, 12:04 PM
I have to admit, I'd like to see Roy's original party get curb-stomped, probably by something they could've handled with a little (read: any) thought.

FlyingCandles
2013-04-22, 04:04 PM
The leader: O-Chul

The Lancer: Julio Scoundrel

The Smart Guy: Aardinarius

The Chick: Hilgya Firehelm

The Big Guy: Thog

The Sixth Ranger: Ian Starshine

I really like the first three; Hilgya and Ian are for lack of a better choice, and Thog has currently been abandoned by his team, so he could be considered up for grabs. >.>

Olinser
2013-04-22, 04:36 PM
The leader: O-Chul

The Lancer: Julio Scoundrel

The Smart Guy: Aardinarius

The Chick: Hilgya Firehelm

The Big Guy: Thog

The Sixth Ranger: Ian Starshine

I really like the first three; Hilgya and Ian are for lack of a better choice, and Thog has currently been abandoned by his team, so he could be considered up for grabs. >.>

I'll agree with most of those, but O-Chul and Thog are most definitely not C-listers (and I still expect Ian to have a significant effect in the next 20 or so chapters).

There is plenty of choice. Replace Hilgya with Julia, Samantha, or even Kazumi. Ian's spot can be filled by literally dozens of people throughout the strip, too many to list here.

ti'esar
2013-04-29, 03:25 AM
Quibbling about the definition of "C-list" aside, why on Stick-Earth are these characters be listed in TV Tropes' "Five-Man Band" terms and not in any kind of actual D&D-style adventuring roles?

Edit: OK, I guess the OP did.

Deepbluediver
2013-04-29, 09:26 AM
Quibbling about the definition of "C-list" aside, why on Stick-Earth are these characters be listed in TV Tropes' "Five-Man Band" terms and not in any kind of actual D&D-style adventuring roles?

Even on TVTropes any vaguely related group of people numbering between 3 and 8 will be squeezed into the "5-man band syndrome" by someone. IMO, its an unfortunate case of "Round trope in square hole" (or whatever the name for that is).
EVERY STORY MUST CONFORM TO A GIVEN PATTERN, INSTEAD OF THE OTHER WAY AROUND!!!1!

AngryHobbit
2013-04-29, 03:36 PM
Azure city Z-listers:

The Leader/Support, Melee:
Paladin who investigated Lirian's gate. Giant confirmed that he is Not O-Chul.

The Lancer/Arcane Spellcaster:
Wizard Guy off-course!

The Smart Guy/Healer:
Cleric defeated by Redcloak in the most awesome Cleric duel ever!

The Chick/Rogue:
Ninja Waitress

The Big Guy/Tank:
TGWTH.

Evil Z-listers:

The Big Bad wannabe/Melee:
Death Knight Xykon decoy

The Dragon/Healer:
Goblin Cleric that found out that Belkar is Chaotic Evil the hard way

Evil Genius/Summoner:
That guy who turned Roy into a Bone Golem

Dark Chick/arcane spellcaster:
Green hag that walked in hectagonal grids

The Brute/Tank:
Powergamer Half-Ogre that feel over a cliff when he fought Roy

Kish
2013-04-29, 04:55 PM
Even on TVTropes any vaguely related group of people numbering between 3 and 8 will be squeezed into the "5-man band syndrome" by someone. IMO, its an unfortunate case of "Round trope in square hole" (or whatever the name for that is).
EVERY STORY MUST CONFORM TO A GIVEN PATTERN, INSTEAD OF THE OTHER WAY AROUND!!!1!
"TVTropes" is the name for it.

hoff
2013-04-29, 06:43 PM

Edit: OK, I guess the OP did.

Well on the first post I did state their D&D roles, not my fault people spend way too much time on TVTropes. I even kind-of used the Tarquin classification shown here:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0819.html

ti'esar
2013-04-30, 03:33 AM
"TVTropes" is the name for it.

Not to take this too off-topic, but that's not really true - I've actually spent some time over there trying to figure out what exactly is the reason for this "Five-Man Band" thing. Most tropes are attempts to describe things in fiction, not this weird character-warping borderline forum game. Heck, I don't think "Five-Man Band" is even that good as ensembles go.

Which is, again, why I'm baffled to see it being used as the default and basically only system of organization in a thread that specifically describes itself as being about adventuring parties.

137beth
2013-04-30, 12:31 PM
I don't get why people seem to think that website is the end all and be all of fiction. I'll admit, I've never actually look at it, but I'm curious as to how many people knew what a "trope" was from any other source? Or even knew that the term predates the website?

Stormlock
2013-04-30, 03:05 PM
Chuck is dead, and if Ganji and Enor count as C-listers, then Chuck is a D-lister or worse. Same with that Bard named Jenny, honestly. Both D-listers.

Wonder what a D-lister party would look like.

Chuck isn't necessarily dead. Before Halley made off, the arrangement was to have everyone that died get resurrected on her dime. Some of them may have been resurrected before she left, and may have been resurrected out of the Guild's pocket afterwards anyways.

Anyways, my party would probably be something like...

Jenny (At least she casts good bard spells)
Hilgya (Loki probably has an awesome set of domains.)
Lien (associating with these evil characters will make her fall, Hilgya can introduce her to an outsider for some awesome Blackguard action. Aww yeah.)
That half ogre with the spiked chain. He just needs someone to keep a readied Featherfall around and he's invincible.:smallbiggrin:
That guy who tried to assasinate Hinjo who Belkar killed.

Should be fairly balanced. Lacks a good arcane caster, but I'm drawing a blank for those besides that dorky kid that was with the LG before Z, and screw him. Maybe Samantha, since I included the half ogre anyways, who is obviously dead.

F.Harr
2013-04-30, 05:08 PM
Over the course of the years the comic collected quite a few C-list characters and my genre saviness say that they will be back someday (probably in the finale, a la Seinfeld), then I came to the conclusion that some of them might join forces together to make a C-list adventuring party.

Mine C-List party would be:

The Leader / The Rogue:
Gannji. Awesome sauce.

The Lancer / Support:
The bard chick from greysky that Belkar nailed.

The Smart Guy / Arcane Spellcasting:
Chuckhttp://oots.wikia.com/wiki/Chuck. Finally overcame his levels of sucking.

The Chick / Healing :
The Cleric of Loki from greysky city. Now solving problems with violence.

The Big Guy / Meat Shield:
Enor, obviously.

The Sixth Ranger / The Foil:
I really wanted to place Therkla here, but I don't see she coming back from the dead. So I choose Julio Scoundrél because he is awesome, plus he is fated to cross paths with Elan again and die in a heroic sacrifice.

I just want to point out that c-list is for more obscure characters. O-chul or Celia wouldn't be C-list they are B-list (or A-list if you consider PCs to be above A-list).

Who would be on your C-List party?

Their ain't no party like a C-List Party because no one else goes to one.

F.Harr
2013-04-30, 05:21 PM

Do they even GO that far?

Jenny would fit pretty well into team neutral, sitting in the same functional position as Elan and Nale and being relevant as Belkar's lover, but she's way too significant to be relegated all the way to the Z-list.

Hmm... in lieu of anyone completely in the background, perhaps the aptly-named Hobgoblin Cleric Number 2 could fit the healer role there? Wait, no, getting your own punchline would probably put you at at least list R:

Warrior: A yellow-footed rock wallaby
Sneaky: An anti-meatloaf ninja
Mage: A bucket of popcorn
Healer: Hobgoblin Cleric #2
Face: Goblin Dan, restaurateur
Kobold: A guy whose cousin was hit by a rock thrown by a halfling and eaten by a tiger.

EDIT: It occurred to me that fruit pie is actually unambiguously on the Order's side, and also dead.

Ooh! YELLOW-footed!

I question Julio's inclusion as a "C-lister"; he seems like one of the most competent and genre-savvy characters around (second only to Big T). Plus, he's got enough resources at his command to have an entire airship and crew on standby. Unless, of course, you where just using "C-list" to imply characters who get less screen time.

True. And Niu isn't a C-lister, either. But I've loved reading all these alternatie teams. As goofy as they are.

Rogar Demonblud
2013-04-30, 07:51 PM
Do they even GO that far?

In most genres, no. But we have Zombies, who are the natural denizens of the Z list.

rodneyAnonymous
2013-04-30, 10:40 PM
Or even knew that the term [trope] predates the website?

The word also means something a little different than the way it is used there.

ti'esar
2013-05-01, 12:10 AM
Since the topic's come up, my ideal Z-list party would be Cleric of Nergal on Left (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0735.html), Clumsy Azurite Soldier (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html), Hobgoblin Ninja (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0454.html), and Turbaned Imperial Spellcaster (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0776.html). Covers the classic adventuring archetypes of "fighter, mage, cleric, thief", with some cultural and alignment differences thrown in there to provide drama-creating conflict.

Although I'm worried some of those guys are too recognizable to count as Z-list.

Mike Havran
2013-05-01, 05:34 AM
My Z-list:

Elder Orc Caster with Purple Spell Glow (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0551.html) as a leader and arcane spellcaster.

Guard Ogre With Class Levels (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0217.html) as a meat shield.

Blonde Street Trash (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0574.html) for sneaky stuff.

Almost-bald Azure Cleric (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0284.html) as a healer

Unshaven Rend Lute Player (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0755.html) for bardic lore and songs

and Hydra Burger Goblin Girl. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0705.html) Adventuring is a hungry business.