PDA

View Full Version : An idea gleaned from dawnforge

ngilop
2013-04-21, 07:34 PM
Ok first off if you guys have never heard of dawnforge imma explain it in a very simple summary. it is one of the semi-finalist campaign settings with WoTC that spawned crappy eberron ( my opinion on that last bit) its about the generaic D&D world in the time of legends and myths. where that super magic empire still reigned and elves were not split and basically ist 1st age middle earth.

that said. I love their ideas of races gaining special abilities at certain intervals. I think that is an amazing idea. I am thinking of now, since i finally found all the books for that setting, to work on incorporating that into my own homebrewed setting.

I just think the idea is so great becuase it expands upon the premise that dwarves, elves, humans and such are different and as power increases those differences grow.

while the playable races do get their benefits and such at the start of the game. its nice that players have a way to individually 'tweak' their character so you can choose between making a super crafter dwarf or a more stonewall-ish dwarf.

anyways what does the playground think of the basic idea of this. I plan on actually including the abilities in a later post well IF the consesnus is generally well- recieved. if not, well it will just be for personal use then

I plan on teh abilities being given at 2nd, 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th level and each of those having multiple choices of abilities to select from and of course being at respective power levels. so unlike D&D melee feats/abilities the 18th level thing is not going to be the same powerwise as teh 6th or even 2dn level one.

ngilop
2013-04-21, 07:56 PM
reservd for tha ctaul stuff IF its decided to be a good idea.

Virdish
2013-04-21, 08:06 PM
I use something like this in my own system so of course I am biased but I think it does a lot for ones ability to rely get into being a different race. As is most races end up feeling like humans without a bonus feat and some cosmetic differences

Pika...
2013-04-21, 08:48 PM
I use something like this in my own system so of course I am biased but I think it does a lot for ones ability to rely get into being a different race. As is most races end up feeling like humans without a bonus feat and some cosmetic differences

Agreed. Lack of roleplaying interest/skill is the fault in my opinion. :smallfrown:

P.S. Look at the Paragon classes for inspiration maybe?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-04-21, 09:11 PM
Maybe base it off bloodlines (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm)? You can probably ignore "bloodline levels" if all players are using the system-- there's no discrepancy between characters, so you can just bump up encounter levels across the board.

Yitzi
2013-04-22, 08:43 AM
I like it. I would advise against a choice of powers, though; if they're racially inherent you don't really get to choose.

I would also say there's no point in having them all get them at the same level; there's nothing wrong with different races getting abilities at different levels.

ngilop
2013-04-22, 01:07 PM
well, i was thinking of giving different abilities so not everydwarf was teh exact same thing.

mush how I would think that every feat selected would not be identicle for every character.

I enjoy giving my player's choices and as a player having choices.. even if those choices are artificial at least it seems like i have some degree over control on what I do with my character.

The Tyler
2013-04-22, 03:24 PM
I'm thinking of implementing something similar for the new campaign setting I've begun working on. My players want Pathfinder, but with superheroes.

I think multiple options at each selection point is a good idea.