PDA

View Full Version : Dervish and Flurry of Blows

zoobob9
2013-04-21, 08:04 PM
The Dervish Dance says:

"While in this dervish dance, she can take a full attack action (for melee attacks only) and still move up to her speed."

It also says:

"A dervish may only perform a dervish dance while wielding a slashing weapon."

Flurry of Blows says:

"A monk must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blows."

Versatile Unarmed Strike, a feat from PH2, says:

"As a swift action, you can opt for your unarmed strikes to deal your choice of bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage."

I believe you can see where I'm going with this...

...can you use the Flurry of Blows action with a Dervish Dance, RAW? My DM will probably okay it regardless, I'm just curious what the playground thinks.

As far as "Is that a good idea" is concerned:

This character, once finished, will be a Human Half Minotaur, with do all of the knockback/bull rush shenanigans, will have improved trip and knock down and defensive throw, and will probably have the whole TWF tree.

He's more for flavor than anything else: He will slam people to the ground and push them where he wants to. The stereotypical "Zen, be one with the fluid, use your enemy's rage against himself" sort of character. I may or may not throw in vow of poverty for giggles.

If this isn't a good idea mechanically, then c'est la vie. I think it would be a fun character regardless.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-04-21, 08:10 PM
Sounds solid, though getting a way to make touch attacks might be a good idea sincr those penalties to attack ramp up quickly.

I strongly advice against vow of poverty though, as a melee character you need magic items.

animewatcha
2013-04-21, 09:24 PM
You can do both at the same time so long as you adhere to the requires of both at same time. Mainly the unarmored thing of FoB and Dervish's no shield.

Pickford
2013-04-21, 11:28 PM
Sounds solid, though getting a way to make touch attacks might be a good idea sincr those penalties to attack ramp up quickly.

I strongly advice against vow of poverty though, as a melee character you need magic items.

What penalties? Flurry has none after 9th.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-04-22, 11:03 AM
I was assuming he only dipped monk for flurry of blows (and bonus feats) while going Dervish 10.

Hylas
2013-04-22, 11:31 AM
If you get more than 1 level of monk then at least you can get synergy from increased movement speed.

Pickford
2013-04-22, 12:20 PM
I was assuming he only dipped monk for flurry of blows (and bonus feats) while going Dervish 10.

If he's going to base it off an unarmed strike, it would be a good idea to keep going for the extra unarmed strike damage. (hence I assumed they went many levels in monk)

Talderas
2013-04-22, 12:27 PM
While the feat would let you use unarmed attacks while in a dervish dance, it would not permit you to enter the class proper. It requires Weapon Focus in a slashing weapon. Weapon Focus (Unarmed Attacks) is weapon focus in a bludgeoning weapon.

Since Dervish requires Dodge, Mobility, Combat Expertise, and Weapon Focus just to enter, the earliest entry that a monk can achieve and deal slashing damage would be level 13. This assumes that the monk is burning his weapon focus feat on a slashing weapon he's proficient with.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-04-22, 12:27 PM
True, I didn't think about that.

Failed Phantasm
2013-04-22, 12:36 PM
Whirling Steel Strike (from... Eberron Campaign Setting, I think?) allows a monk to flurry with a longsword, which is a slashing weapon, and the feat requires Weapon Focus (longsword) which you need for Dervish entry anyway.

I suspect a one or two level dip into Fighter for the free proficiencies and bonus feats would be helpful here.

Talya
2013-04-22, 12:39 PM
Since Dervish requires Dodge, Mobility, Combat Expertise, and Weapon Focus just to enter, the earliest entry that a monk can achieve and deal slashing damage would be level 13. This assumes that the monk is burning his weapon focus feat on a slashing weapon he's proficient with.

(Human) Expeditious Dodge
(1) Mobility
(3) Combat Expertise
(6) WF Kama.
(9) Versatile Unarmed Strike

That's assuming flaws are off the table. If you're allowed flaws, then the limiting factor is no longer your feats.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, I'm just saying it's possible.

Urpriest
2013-04-22, 01:55 PM
Also, many of those feats can be gained as Monk bonus feats.

Talderas
2013-04-22, 02:26 PM
Also, many of those feats can be gained as Monk bonus feats.

Not a single one.

Monk's bonus feats are a selection between two feats when they gain them.
Improved Grapple vs Stunning Fist
Combat Reflexes vs Deflect Arrows
Improved Disarm vs Improved Trip

Dusk Eclipse
2013-04-22, 02:29 PM
Variant combat style from UA/SRD expand the list a lot.
Martial Monk from Dragon opens up the fighter list and by some readings you also get to ignore pre-reqs.

Elric VIII
2013-04-22, 03:11 PM
Not a single one.

Monk's bonus feats are a selection between two feats when they gain them.
Improved Grapple vs Stunning Fist
Combat Reflexes vs Deflect Arrows
Improved Disarm vs Improved Trip

Read and become enlightened. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm)

Passive Way would be excellent for this since you get Combat Expertise and Improved Trip without needing points in Int and the 6th level ability can give you a nice boost to tripping (combine with Stunning Fist taken as a normal feat do deny dex). If you want to take advantage of the 6th level ability, I'd say you can even trade away Evasion for the Invisible Fist ACF to guarantee more flat-footed enemies. Something like Monk 6/Warblade 1/Dervish 10/Warblade +3.

Otherwise I'd recommend something like Monk 2/Warblade 4/Dervish 10/Warblade +4. Raging/Dancing Mongoose will further supplement your attack routine, and the Diamond Mind counters really fit in with that zen-focus thing (plus, Monk has Concentration as a class skill).

I would just go with Kamas since they are a slashing weapon (don't need to waste a feat on VUS), can be used with FoB, and can be used to trip. Not to mention it paints a cool picture.