PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Invocation: Planar Binding for Warlocks [PEACH]

Erik Vale
2013-04-21, 08:19 PM
Whilst it was approved for the game it was proposed in, I am somewhat surprised by the lack of a warlock planar binding invocation, and I find it somewhat silly given the general warlock fluff that they get animate dead instead of a planar binding varient, but anyway, a warlock invocation for the playground, feel free to point out how exploitable or not it is.

Planar Pact
Spell Level 5
Finishing invocations of dark power, the warlock summons into a small binding circle a planar entity for bargaining.

This invocation functions as the Magic Circle Against [Alignment] Spells and the Lesser Planar Binding spell. With this invocation, warlocks can create a Magic Circle against any alignment that they oppose on the alignment chart [Chaotic Warlocks against law, Evil Warlocs against good, etc], and once per day warlocks with this invocation can cast Lesser Planar binding.
When you gain Access to Greater invocations this invocation functions as Planar binding 1/Day, or Lesser Planar Binding 3/Day in addition to the Magic Circle against Alignment spells.
When you gain Access to Dark Invocations this invocation functions as Greater Planar Binding 1/day, or Planar Binding 3/Day, or Lesser Planar binding 5/day in addition to the Magic Circle against Alignment spells.

I've got a feeling that people will say reduce the uses of lesser planar binding at the Dark grade, however I don't think spamming imps should be to much of a problem, even if by level 16 a warlock should be just telling 6HD outsiders what to do and they just do it.

Vadskye
2013-04-21, 09:32 PM
If you wanted to get the same feel without having to make this be the only uses/day invocation in existence, you could have it be usable at will - but put a limit on the HD of the creatures that the warlock can have planar bound at any given time. If he exceeds his HD limit, the new planar binding fails.

Erik Vale
2013-04-21, 10:45 PM
I wanted to avoid that to keep with the feel of planar binding and to keep it from stepping on the toes of the dead walk [part of the reason I made it scale was that The Dead Walk did, however having looked over some of the SRD outsiders I think scaling might be a bit iffy], to make sure the invocations differences were more than slight thematic and some stat based ones.

Though perhaps a maximum cap of 5 or Cha mod for lesser at Dark grade [an Idea I was kicking around] would be appropriate.

Vadskye
2013-04-21, 11:06 PM
Well, either way, you're going to have to muck around with some established traditions. I guess it's just a matter of which traditions you consider more important. But I definitely would be careful with unlimited planar bindings a day. That's a fast way to end a campaign if you abuse it.

Southern Cross
2013-04-22, 03:36 AM
I agree -but I'd have the character's hit dice limit how many outsiders the warlock can control -if the total hit dice of the summoned outsiders exceeds the warlock's hit dice, the most recently bound outsider would be freed.

Erik Vale
2013-04-22, 03:48 AM
I agree -but I'd have the character's hit dice limit how many outsiders the warlock can control -if the total hit dice of the summoned outsiders exceeds the warlock's hit dice, the most recently bound outsider would be freed.

One problem with this idea, Wizards/Sorcerers/Other Arcanes can have an unlimited number under there control, and can cast more of the higher level bindings per day, limitless 6hd creatures isn't that impressive by the time sorcerers are getting multiple 18 HD creatures per day, as well as multiple 12 and 6 HD creatures.

[[Yes, I acknowledge that comparing anything to wizards as saying it's not broken is a little stupid]].

In any case, changed to 5 lesser/day at dark.
A thought though, might it be better to instead have a number of uses per day, where higher power bindings 'cost' more uses but are only accessible at higher levels.

DrunkenMists
2013-04-22, 04:30 AM
Tbh, I'd tie this to a Prc, which this an higher versions of it possible with a softcap built right into the Prc, rather than half baked Into an invocation. Allow the warlock to use it unlimited per day, but only so much out at once or hd limit. allow a class mechanic to raise that limit by a #/day. Artificially raise able by a item... Or feats... Or etc.

That's my two cents anywho...