PDA

View Full Version : Draconic Wizard Build Help?

ZvenDarkBrood
2013-04-21, 10:17 PM
Hello there, I'm looking for help for a build that's viable in combat but still meets my roleplay needs as well.
---
Any and all 3.0-3.5 material is allowed
---
The concept of my character is that he is an extremely intelligent wizard that has spent his life buried in books, and finally has learned all he can from the mages college where he has lived. The greatest sources of Arcane magic is of course dragons, magic incarnate. So he has ventured into the world to find a dragon [good dragon] to align himself with and hopefully learn from and become a disciple.
---
So those are his motivations for exploring the world and I want him to have a lot of draconic influences. I'm still working with the DM about making him meet with a copper, silver, or gold dragon and learn from that dragon.
---
I've checked out wyrm wizard but a lot of people are saying that only 2 levels is adequate, so if I could have any help again with a build that involves a wizard with draconic influences that is viable in combat but still keeps my roleplay reasons intact or assist it would be much appreciated.

Pyromancer999
2013-04-21, 11:14 PM
Dragontouched gives you the ability to select Draconic Heritage and other Draconic Heritage feats, in addition to the (Dragonblood subtype).

That and Wyrm Wizard are the best options for a Draconic Wizard, aside from the spells in Dragon Magic and the Draconomicon.

If you're willing to do Sorcerer instead of Wizard, however, the options expand. There are even Draconic Sorcerer substitution levels.

Urpriest
2013-04-21, 11:26 PM
Dragon Familiar is pretty good for this sort of concept. Perhaps the dragon mentor gives you a wyrmling to foster once you prove yourself responsible.

Pyromancer999
2013-04-21, 11:27 PM
Dragon Familiar is pretty good for this sort of concept. Perhaps the dragon mentor gives you a wyrmling to foster once you prove yourself responsible.

On that note, you can also get a Drakken Familiar, which is a dragon-descended version of a normal familiar, and is free.

ZvenDarkBrood
2013-04-22, 12:33 AM
Dragntouched gives you the ability to select Draconic Heritage and other Draconic Heritage feats, in addition to the (Dragonblood subtype).

That and Wyrm Wizard are the best options for a Draconic Wizard, aside from the spells in Dragon Magic and the Draconomicon.

If you're willing to do Sorcerer instead of Wizard, however, the options expand. There are even Draconic Sorcerer substitution levels.

It's not in stone yet we haven't started the campaign but lets say I did choose sorcerer instead of wizard. What would be my options there.

Pyromancer999
2013-04-22, 01:00 AM
It's not in stone yet we haven't started the campaign but lets say I did choose sorcerer instead of wizard. What would be my options there.

Trade out Familiar for Draconic Heritage as a sorcerer substitution level, gain full and easier access to Draconic Heritage feats(which can be used to an even fuller extent since you have more spells to cast and spell slots available to power the abilities), and if your DM allows it, have the ability to make a Dragonpact, which allows you to trade out a spell slot that is 2nd level or higher for a suite of themed SLAs, and be able to access a bunch of draconic-themed PrCs, including Pact-bound Adept, which can let you make more than one Dragonpact, if you like.