PDA

View Full Version : Alter Self on my Animal Companion Familiar (magical beast)

DrkMagusX
2013-04-22, 12:26 AM
I m exploring the possiblities for using Alter Self on my Animal Companion Familiar. He is a Magical Beast and will be kinda like the Combat side of my character as I am the Squishy Arcane Heirphant (pardon spelling its late).

What are the benefits of taking a Large Animal Companion vs a Small one.
Can I alter Self him then alter his size?

Does Enlarge / Reduce person affect my Animal Companion thanks to the share spell or is there another way.

Would like aid in exploring the possiblities as I still haven't decided on a animal companion.

This character will be mainly Utility with backup healing. Race will either be a Elf or a Changeling (Like the idea of disguising as other races for recon and whatnot)

Rubik
2013-04-22, 01:42 AM
Alter Self will allow you to turn a Large magical beast into a Medium or Huge magical beast, though I don't know of any Huge ones off-hand which have 5 or fewer hit dice. Not to say that there aren't any, but I don't know what they are.

You can't use Enlarge/Reduce Person on anything that isn't a humanoid, so no, you can't use it on your companion (unless you have a spell that will turn it into a humanoid, such as Polymorph).

Tvtyrant
2013-04-22, 01:49 AM
5 Headed Hydra is a huge magical beast with 5 HD, which I believe is the only one.

Rubik
2013-04-22, 01:57 AM
5 Headed Hydra is a huge magical beast with 5 HD, which I believe is the only one.Ooh. And that's one of the best ones, too.

TuggyNE
2013-04-22, 02:27 AM
You can't use Enlarge/Reduce Person on anything that isn't a humanoid, so no, you can't use it on your companion (unless you have a spell that will turn it into a humanoid, such as Polymorph).

Share Spells (familiar/animal companion) explicitly lets you slap spells on even if they don't normally work on that type. So that's not a problem.

Rubik
2013-04-22, 02:30 AM
Share Spells (familiar/animal companion) explicitly lets you slap spells on even if they don't normally work on that type. So that's not a problem.Ah. I don't play with familiars (as they tend to die, and that sucks). However, I believe that multiple effects that change one's size don't stack, so Alter Self shouldn't stack with Reduce/Enlarge Person. Right?

Spuddles
2013-04-22, 02:44 AM
Ah. I don't play with familiars (as they tend to die, and that sucks. However, I believe that multiple effects that change one's size don't stack, so Alter Self shouldn't stack with Reduce/Enlarge Person. Right?

Correct.

edharhfdadfhgeatrherhytjtrfgfjag

TuggyNE
2013-04-22, 02:48 AM
Ah. I don't play with familiars (as they tend to die, and that sucks. However, I believe that multiple effects that change one's size don't stack, so Alter Self shouldn't stack with Reduce/Enlarge Person. Right?

I believe that's correct, although that rule has always puzzled me; why bother with it? :smallconfused:

DrkMagusX
2013-04-22, 11:15 AM
Alter's companion into a 5 Headed Hydra... Enemy flees like crazy lol

Not sure what the animal companion would get from this other than the sheer look of being more threatening.

Rubik
2013-04-22, 11:17 AM
Alter's companion into a 5 Headed Hydra... Enemy flees like crazy lol

Not sure what the animal companion would get from this other than the sheer look of being more threatening.How about five bite attacks on every attack action?

Deaxsa
2013-04-22, 11:39 AM
How about five bite attacks on every attack action?

Nah, worthless.

DrkMagusX
2013-04-22, 12:12 PM
So how is that not broken or over powerful?

5 attacks a round at 1d10

lol this just sounds really powerful

Ape Animal Companion familiar (Magical Beast)
Alter Self it into 5 headed Hydra..

I was just thinking it would be visually interesting.

nobodez
2013-04-22, 12:45 PM
I abused reduce person as an arcane hierophant, but never thought of using alter self. Of course, by that point it was a dire tiger and halfling show, buff the cat and have fun (greater blink is lots of fun).

Rubik
2013-04-22, 12:58 PM
I abused reduce person as an arcane hierophant, but never thought of using alter self. Of course, by that point it was a dire tiger and halfling show, buff the cat and have fun (greater blink is lots of fun).http://tyf.wikidot.com/local--files/dj3heman/He_man_and_Battlecat_by_JPRart.jpg