PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The great Nova of Energy Missiles

Feint's End
2013-04-22, 01:16 AM
Hey guys I was going through some math to create a psionic nova and I found a way to deal hilarious amounts of damage at Level 20. I won't compare it to the mailman since the potential dmg is higher but the mailman's is obviously saver and easier to apply (no sr/saves etc etc) so it's just a theoretical optimization build.

Build: Human (or race with bonusfeat) Ardent 15/ Anarchaic Initiate 1/ Psion 1 / Erudite 1 / Psywar 2 (the last 3 are just for the 5 feats) (changeable but you need 10 level for the dominant ideal ACF)

Order doesn't matter too much but make sure to take Ardent for the last few levels to get 9th level powers.

Important stats: Assuming starting int of 18->34 and Wis 14 (Psionic Med. and Feat leech)

Equipment: torc, +6 int item

Feats (7+1+1+2+2) (in random order): Psicrystal Affinity, Psicrystal Containment, Overchannel, Psionic Meditation, Practised Manifester (Ardent), Expanded Knowledge (Hustle), EK (Share Pain or Feat leech) Metapsionics: twinned, linked, empowered, maximized, Metapower (Energy Missile) for maximized and twinned

Feats of your Psicrystal: feel free to pick whatever you like but make sure to pick Mindsight (because it's awesome), power penetration and greater power penetration

Mantles necessary: Time, Energy, Mental Might + 2 of your choice ... I heavily suggest taking Physical Power and Pain (for share pain substitute) -> then you can spend your EK on feat leech. If you can get Pain into Physical Power even better. Then you could spend 5 levels in other prcs (as long as you don't loose ml because you want thoses 20 ... oh yes)

ACFs:
>Dominant Mantle (Energy)
>Substitute Powers:
Synchronicity in Time
Energy Missile in Energy
Schism in Mental Might
Share Pain in Pain or Physical Power

Assumptions: I use Metapsionic in the most favourable way possible so it gets less effektive if you apply it different, I also assume that Dominant Ideal reduces the power of every affecting Metapsionic by 2 (if you rule it doesn't then the ml ist 6 lower ... still works but way weaker) and not of all together.
When Schism uses Synchronicity the Synchronicity action is your action therefor not limited to the ml-6 rule.

So here is how it works (note that It isn't the fastest way to kill something but it does it's job)
2 foci ready/ no schism yet/ Vigor and Share Pain buffed (22 pp)

Round 1: use standart for Schism and link it to Synchronicity (This is just for utility and not necessary) / use swift (with hustle) or movement action to regain focus (points spent 8+x)

Round 2: use Schismaction for Synchronicity linked to Synchronicity, use your Standartaction for the same. Now you have 3 standartactions for whatever you want (1 from Schism, 1 normal, 1 from last round) but use swift and movement to regain the 2 foci ---> the main point is to get 4 actions in the next round (points spent 4+y)

// use feat leech in either Round 1 or 2 to get Powerpenetration and Greater Powerpenetration from your Psicrystal (2 pp)

Round 3: now this is where it gets fun. You now have 3 Standartactions and you get a 4. one by letting your schism use Synchronicity. The order you want to use them to make use of greater powerpenetration is the following:
>2 actions with greater power penetration (46)
>swift and movement to regain foci (3 pp)
>2 actions with greater power penetration (46)

Powerpoints spent for the nova (not counting vigor and share pain but schism I do count): 109 pp

So what do you do with your standartactions? Well we want to deal dmg so we cast Overchanneled Twinned(+2) Maximized(+0) Empowered(+0) Chaotic Surged Energy Missiles ... you have a ml of 23 for manifesting the power so you can spend 22(torc) on energy missile and you take 20d8 of dmg (90 ... countered by vigor and share pain)

Dmg per Missile (using Sonic because it's the one with the least amount of counters): 2(twinned)x6(max)x1,5(empowered)x22-22=374 Sonicdmg
Save dc is: 12+12+19=43 // ml to overcome powerresistance 28 (or 31 if you rule that the ml of the power counts)

But that's not all nono. We have chaotic surge too. That means 25% chance of -50% dmg / 25% chance of no change / 25% chance of +50% damage / 25% chance of +100% dmg. I didn't really go through the math here but in general you win more than you loose.

Even without that we still look at potentially 1498 sonicdamage.

So it is a pretty awesome nova build I'd say. What you think of it?