PDA

View Full Version : The New World by The Giant; a question

dramatic flare
2013-04-22, 04:11 AM
Wasn't certain where to put this, or if it has been answered before, so I put it here and hoped for the best.

Okay, aside from the current injury recovery (which I really want to make "Team Thumb" shirts for, possibly in mock of Twilight, but I digress) I was curious as to what happened to Mr. Burlew's articles on his New World. i've lurked this webcomic and forum for far longer than I've been member and I've noticed it hasn't updated in quite a long time.
My curiosity pertains to: is he planning on writing more? Did he just get bored with the exercise?
As a DM making my own homebrew campaign setting I've found them (and yes, numerous other resources) quite helpful.
If someone else has the answer to this question I'd love a direct link.

But seriously, Mr. Burlew, thumbs up for your recov.... um, yeah... *ninja smoke bomb! Poof!*

TuggyNE
2013-04-22, 06:25 AM
I was curious as to what happened to Mr. Burlew's articles on his New World. i've lurked this webcomic and forum for far longer than I've been member and I've noticed it hasn't updated in quite a long time.
My curiosity pertains to: is he planning on writing more? Did he just get bored with the exercise?

If memory serves, the setting was actually finished, or largely finished, and it was a finalist in a contest quite a long time ago for a new official WotC setting. Unfortunately, somebody else won; fortunately, the end result was Eberron. So it's quite possible that required NDAs during the contest prevent him from writing any more.

At any rate, last I heard he had no plans to finish the series. Sad, but there it is. (I liked it too.)

factotum
2013-04-22, 06:26 AM
I don't think those articles have been updated since I've been coming to these forums, so they're what, at least five or six years old?

dramatic flare
2013-04-22, 06:29 AM
Well, that's at least an answer.

And I've heard of those NDAs. Damn them. Damn them to the abyss!
... Anyway, thanks for the help.

Keris
2013-04-22, 07:29 AM
If memory serves, the setting was actually finished, or largely finished, and it was a finalist in a contest quite a long time ago for a new official WotC setting. Unfortunately, somebody else won; fortunately, the end result was Eberron. So it's quite possible that required NDAs during the contest prevent him from writing any more. I don't think those are the same settings. My understanding is that the contest pre-dates the New World setting by some time, as well as pre-dating OotS and the rest of this website. In addition, given that the submitted setting became WotC property I doubt they would have accepted a setting which was already freely available online.

I don't think those articles have been updated since I've been coming to these forums, so they're what, at least five or six years old? I can echo that. And from perusing the Wayback Machine, it seems that most recent article is from May '04. :smalleek:

dramatic flare
2013-04-22, 04:33 PM
I can echo that. And from perusing the Wayback Machine, it seems that most recent article is from May '04. :smalleek:

Aye, they haven't been updated since I've been reading though I haven't been reading as long as either of you guys.
And actually, that might still fit the time frame if just barely. Eberron was published in '04. So it's close, and probably means you are correct in assuming that was a different setting; but still it might have been the one he submitted.
If it wasn't, he might've gotten too busy for it. Who knows?

Tavar
2013-04-29, 01:31 AM
I'm pretty sure the mechanics of the deal would have forbidden him from publishing information on the world he was creating. So, the articles posted would be from a completely different one. I think he's also mentioned that he has plans for it, which is why they aren't going to be continued(difficult to shop around if everything's up on the web). Of course, that was years ago, so no idea as to the current situation.

Jimorian
2013-04-29, 07:25 PM
If I remember my GITP lore correctly, this site was originally intended to be a Gaming Portal, and projects like The New World and the articles by other writers (since taken down to respect their rights) were to be the central content, with OOTS being nothing more than a pleasant diversion for visitors.

Of course, in this universe, things took a strange turn and OOTS became the dominant content, with enough drawing power by itself for Rich to make a living off of (so he has to focus his efforts on it). So get to work on that dimensional phase-shifter, and you'll be able to read not only the completed New World series, but also partake of Rich's amazing RPG system that finally usurped D&D, united the countries of Earth, and made Rich Burlew the most revered person on the planet.

factotum
2013-04-30, 01:51 AM
but also partake of Rich's amazing RPG system that finally usurped D&D, united the countries of Earth, and made Rich Burlew the most revered person on the planet.

But...you'd have to live in a world where OotS didn't become popular! I don't want to live in that world, the people there are *strange*. :smallsmile:

Androgeus
2013-05-01, 07:15 AM
But...you'd have to live in a world where OotS didn't become popular! I don't want to live in that world, the people there are *strange*. :smallsmile:

You would have a dimensional phase-shifter, just shift to a plane where both are true.

JustSomeGuy
2013-05-01, 01:11 PM
Schroedinger's website?

Krade
2013-05-02, 01:11 PM
I also remember hearing(reading) him to say that even if the NDA did expire or allowed to lapse or whatever that would make it possible for the public to view the submitted world, he wouldn't.

Elements of his submissions have long since been cannabalized and used in other sourcebooks (I think some of them were even put into Ebberon's release). If the setting were released now, it wouldn't be very ground-breaking since all of the really interesting bits have already been released.

So no, the articles about The New World are not from the contest submission. They were a new project (more or less) completely unafilliated with any previous work.