PDA

View Full Version : PF Ranger Build Help Please

Xander96
2013-04-22, 09:18 AM
So in the near future, I will be playing a strix ranger. Currently that I know of, there are 3 other party members playing gunslingers.

I was thinking since the strix is a flying character that I should just focus on being an archer ranger, rather than being the Switch Hitter that everyone suggests. Is this train of thinking accurate? Or should I still run with a Switch Hitter concept just the same regardless if I am flying or not?

UrsielHauke
2013-04-22, 10:03 AM
I would recommend you take a look here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/test2/treantmonk-s-guide-to-rangers); this is a phenomenal guide that takes an in-depth look at the traditional ranger builds, switch hitter included.

Also, deadly aim is your best friend. Use it.

Xander96
2013-04-22, 10:09 AM
Yup. I have looked at this guide before. Thanks for the link. However, the last update was in 2010. Unfortunately, there is nothing in there regarding Strix, which appear in the ARG

StreamOfTheSky
2013-04-30, 12:25 AM
Switch Hitter is pretty obsolete by now, IMO. Especially if you can fly.

Just do archery, if Ranger at all.

3 Gunslingers is dicey... guns depending on what "tech age" your DM deems you to be in can be wildly, insanely overpowered and the gunslingers might make you feel pretty useless. Single-statting dex for attack and damage, and being able to use deadly aim and attack touch AC.

avr
2013-05-01, 04:16 AM
Since it sounds like your party is going to be all about staying out of melee, going archery is probably a good move. If you get into melee likely you will be swarmed without assistance from other players.

BTW, check out the Guide (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/guide) archetype. Being able to choose your favored enemy on the fly is a good idea IMO.

Kilbourne
2013-05-01, 04:56 AM
Okay, people have guns? If they're PF guns, get yourself into a Ranger archetype that uses guns, and get yourself a musket (or rifle). It's better than a bow if you can get your iterative shots off.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-01, 05:35 PM
3 Gunslingers is dicey... guns depending on what "tech age" your DM deems you to be in can be wildly, insanely overpowered and the gunslingers might make you feel pretty useless. Single-statting dex for attack and damage, and being able to use deadly aim and attack touch AC.

Gunslingers do, however, have a hard time getting full attacks every round due to reloading and suffer misfire chance (unless it's Advanced firearms with alchemical cartridges), while an archer is guaranteed full attacks without misfire.

magwaaf
2013-05-10, 10:08 PM
well our ranger is the standard many shot, rapid shot, yada yada feat build and then he also has the vital strike tree. the vital strike tree has been great for crapping all over DR in boss fights and the other stuff is great for mook cleanup.

oh and gravity bow and arrow eruption
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/arrow-eruption

the bow is a special +1 holy mighty +5, collision keen greatbow that does 2d6 base damage we did a side quest to get the mats (holy is a +1 because of hte side quest)

Slipperychicken
2013-05-10, 11:02 PM
well our ranger is the standard many shot, rapid shot, yada yada feat build and then he also has the vital strike tree. the vital strike tree has been great for crapping all over DR in boss fights and the other stuff is great for mook cleanup.

If the purpose is DR, why not Clustered Shots (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/clustered-shots-combat) instead? This way, he gets all his attacks and probably scores higher DPR from full-attacking.

Daftendirekt
2013-05-11, 07:56 AM
Gunslingers do, however, have a hard time getting full attacks every round due to reloading

:smallconfused:

Rapid Reload + alchemical cartridges. Done. And before you say "yeah, but two-handed firearms": anybody using one is going to be a Musket Master and that removes the issue.

As for rangers and gunslingers mixing, from what I can see the optimal way to go is Gunslinger 5, then go into the Trophy Hunter ranger archetype for at least 4 levels. After that, do what you want: finish off with straight ranger, maybe go rogue for talents/SA, etc.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-11, 10:39 AM
:smallconfused:

Rapid Reload + alchemical cartridges. Done. And before you say "yeah, but two-handed firearms": anybody using one is going to be a Musket Master and that removes the issue.

Gunslingers do, however, have a hard time getting full attacks every round due to reloading and suffer misfire chance (unless it's Advanced firearms with alchemical cartridges), while an archer is guaranteed full attacks without misfire.

Alchemical cartridges are 12 gold a shot, unless the tech level is high enough. That cost does sting at low levels, and how easily you can purchase those is campaign-dependent, but otherwise I see your point; it isn't an issue later on when you can just blow a few hundred (or a thousand) gold on ammo.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-05-11, 11:05 AM
Alchemical cartridges are 12 gold a shot, unless the tech level is high enough. That cost does sting at low levels, and how easily you can purchase those is campaign-dependent, but otherwise I see your point; it isn't an issue later on when you can just blow a few hundred (or a thousand) gold on ammo.

Alchemical cartridges are 6 gold to make if your a gunslinger, and 12 wouldn't be that expensive.

- Gunpowder can be made at 10% of cost if your have gunsmithing.
- A Barrel of gunpowder sells for 1000 GP, and is as such made for 100 GP.
- That's a cool 900 G profit.

Depending on how your GM rules, a gunslinger could make 10 of them a day. So a gunslinger can make somewhere between 900 to 9000 Gold profit a day. 6 gold a shot is a drop of rain down a well.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-11, 11:27 AM
Depending on how your GM rules, a gunslinger could make 10 of them a day. So a gunslinger can make somewhere between 900 to 9000 Gold profit a day.

Now find me a game where someone actually did this.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-05-11, 12:59 PM
Now find me a game where someone actually did this.Any game where crafting is possible. The gunpowder is something they're going to make. Whether or not guns are common, the substance will have value as a portable, stable and effective explosive.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-05-11, 01:22 PM
You can actually craft bullets at least, if not gunpowder as well, for 1/5 market price instead of 1/3. Just one of many "special exceptions for special people" the PF gun rules have.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-11, 01:38 PM
Any game where crafting is possible. The gunpowder is something they're going to make. Whether or not guns are common, the substance will have value as a portable, stable and effective explosive.

I meant where the gunslinger builds powder kegs and sells them for 1000 profit a day instead of, you know, adventuring. It's kind of like a caster using the spellcasting services rules. It's possible, but usually doesn't happen, especially in fast-paced games.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-05-11, 02:12 PM
I meant where the gunslinger builds powder kegs and sells them for 1000 profit a day instead of, you know, adventuring. It's kind of like a caster using the spellcasting services rules. It's possible, but usually doesn't happen, especially in fast-paced games.No crafting happens in fast paced games. There isn't any other kind of mundane crafting that makes profit that quickly, or at easily. Every other crafting feat requires rolls for work every week.

Gunpowder is daily, the materials are cheap compared to their profit, and there is no chance of wasting materials. It's a money tree.