PDA

View Full Version : Hope Springs Eternal-FFd20 Squad 3 IC

Philemonite
2013-04-22, 10:06 AM
The basic training was grueling, but you made it through and now you are a proud cadet of Asiria Academy, one of the most famous academies of all Seldaria. At least that is what you tell yourself. The truth is you are on the lowest position in the command chain, and you don't really mater. But, you do have potential. Maybe.

You have been assigned to the squad 64272-CH3. As you enter the room you see four more cadets. You think you have seen them all in the training area, but you are not sure. Last few weeks have been so tiring and confusing, you can barely remember your name.

As you look around the room you see three more people, an Aegyl, Mithra and a Ronso. They seam to be ignoring you all completely, so you think it's better not to disturb them. Maybe you should introduce yourself to your fellow squad members.

Falcon777
2013-04-22, 11:38 AM
Feeling somewhat tired, Michael Faulkner chose to sit down backwards on one of the benches, cross his legs, lean back, and pull his hood over his face so that he could rest. Anyone noticing him might believe him to be the very picture of nonchalance...that or laziness. However, he did not fall asleep and was listening intently to anyone that might approach him.

Naridax
2013-04-22, 11:55 AM
Morricad stands and fix's his adjusts his robe. He looks around at his fellow squad mates. Not to his surprised he is the shortest of his squad though to his surprised he sees a wolf that is roughly his size if not bigger. "Hello everyone since we are a squad it's safe to assume we should get to know each other. My name is Morricad and I study the azure arts other wise known as blue magic.

Falcon777
2013-04-29, 07:46 PM
Michael launched to his feet and gave a sweeping bow. "Michael Faulkner: resident redmage, connoissuer of citrus, and dashing doer of good deeds. At your service!" He then extended his hand to shake Morricad's while smiling. It seems as if we shall be the ones taking care of our team's arcane needs. We will need to practice so as not to get in the way of each other."

Naridax
2013-04-29, 08:35 PM
"Ah theatrical I see. Morricad said with a smile while extending his arm to shake the hand of the red mage. "I suppose we probably do need to coordinate with each other so as to be most effcient."

Thimacek
2013-04-30, 01:29 AM
The lithe Aegyl, who kept quiet besides the imposing wolf until that moment, pats her on the head as she stands up and starts getting restless. There, there, sis'. T'is alright , he says, feeling her fur between his fingers as he sends quick looks towards the other cadets and their instructors. Another Aegyl, a Mithra and a Ronso. That was an... unexpected bunch, he could not help thinking, used to being surrounded by humes most of the time.

After some time, he notices the blueish clad Nu Mou seemingly addressing all of them with a quick, maybe slightly uninterested greeting, and a Hume answering with greetings of his own. Looking down at the wolfin again, he snaps his fingers, which incites her to follow him as he comes closer and joins them.

A fine day for change after the last few weeks, eh blokes?, he says, smiling sheepishly. Gwintblaidd , he adds as he nods to them, somewhat respectfully regardless of his rather familiar tone. And this here's me sis' Gwaedd , he says, waving his hands at the wolf, whose eyes shift somewhat warily from one of the mages to the other. Don't mind the chilling look, she's really a sweetie , he adds, an affectionate look crossing his eyes for a moment before he eyes them again, laughing slightly. Most of the time anyways, eh?

Mercutio
2013-04-30, 10:35 AM
Valen eyed his new companions from across the room as he sipped a mouthful of water from his leather waterskin. They seemed an exuberant bunch for sure. The Redmage seemed a bit goofy, whereas his Bluemage counterpart seemed a bit fidgety. No doubt the large wolf had something to do with that. The way the Aegyl handled his companion with such precision was impressive. Panlie's eyes shifted to the right as the Ronso stretched slightly, powerful muscles flexing beneath his furred back. Valen grunted as the others chatted away and placed his waterskin in his pack. Gathering his things, he walked over the gathered group.

G'morning gents. I'm Valen Panlie, warrior. Smiling slightly, he outstretched his hand to his new companions I'll be doing the smiting of evil around here. As well as the cooking most likely. My Wen-dingo fritters are to die for.

Thimacek
2013-04-30, 05:53 PM
"Cooking?", the Aegyl says, grinning as he turns his attention to the Gria. "Fantastic news! So I guess we'll have our go at some evil meat Beef Tartar at some point, huh?".

He kneels down and pets Gwaedd again as he takes a moment before his next words.

"Jokes aside, mates. Am I the only one slightly curious about who we all are, where we come from and where we stand?" He nods in Valen's direction. "Seems like our cook here has some resentments about undisclosed evildoers, right? So... anybody's story willing to be told in more detail?"

Falcon777
2013-04-30, 07:51 PM
Michael shrugged in response to Gwintblaidd. His left hand rested on the hilt of his rapier while he spoke: "Not much to say about myself. Twas born to a fairly poor couple, though my dad is the best darn blacksmith you'll ever meet. When I was young my village was attacked by raiders. However, it was saved by two groups of cadets from this academy. Since then I've always wanted to come here to learn how to fight. When I got here I couldn't decide what I wanted to do, so they signed me up for redmage training; best darn decision that's happened to me apart from coming here. Now I'm ready to go out and save towns myself. How about yourself?" Michael nodded towards the Aegyl. "What's your story?"

Thimacek
2013-04-30, 10:08 PM
Gwint held his arms crossed during Michael's story, apparently either attentive or reflecting on something. Some overeager raiders, nice cadets coming by, a wish to be the next generation hero and some sort of blessed indecision. He half-smiled, half-grinned.

"Heh. Darned if I know... Michael, was it? Well, I was told I got dragged back to Seldaria at some point some 10 years back. Some sad story or another... bunch of those around, right? Have been brought up here, though, thanks to me uncle and aunt. S'pose I was to be bred as a warrior in the academies" he says, grinning as he stops in mid sentence, then stretches his hands ahead, then pats Gwaedd on her ears again. "Then I turned out to be... well, this". He opens his arms, as if playfully presenting himself; a relatively slim, not particulary imposing figure, dark red wings ruffled and spreading slightly - it's clear he means his words as a joke, but the smile on his lips cannot wholly hide a wild glint in his eyes which indicate he may not be as much of a failure as his words seem to suggest.

"Well", he says, getting up again and looking at the other with a friendly face once more. "More stories?"

Naridax
2013-05-01, 08:57 PM
Morricad listen to everyone's story and well it came to his turn . "Well I am from Denora where as you may is where plenty of mages and other scholars live. I was raised by my family and of course I did lots of studying. Though one thing did click to me so to speak and that of course is Blue Magic. So when the time came I spoke to my parents and told them. That I was going to the academy to increase my knowledge and experience with the Azure arts. They approved of course and so I travelled here. Though not alone a dear friend of mine, Watz came and also to study blue magic. After three years and several friendly competition with my friend I was summoned to well be in a squad."

Serby
2013-05-02, 02:38 AM
Feeling a little overwhelmed, first by the intensity of the training, and now by the sudden crowd thrown together clearly to get to know one another, Nican listens and laughs along with the others, getting a feel for how they acted.

They started to tell stories of how they had come to the Academy, so Nican saw an opportunity to bond. "Me? Nothing quite as exciting as some of you. I'm Nican, from down in Erados. I've been working as a soldier for the past couple years. I'd been working in the family shop, but overheard some people talking about the Academy over the years and decided that I'd make my way up. Grabbed what I could afford," At this, Nican tapped his trident and the slightly oversized helm that just avoided covering his eyes. "...then headed up across the desert and joined up in time to start the basic training."

Philemonite
2013-05-02, 10:31 AM
"I think we are ready to start" the Ronso said.

"I agree" the Mithra added. "My name is Denestra and this are Galdios and Qualdio". she said pointing to Ronso and Aegyl.

"Since you have finished basic training you are ready for your final test. Normally your final test would be a test of your combat capabilities. However, we have no time to spare for that. We have a more important task for you."

Seeing that she has no intention of cutting her speech short Galdios interupted her.
"You will be sent on a mission. You have one hour to gather everything you need. We will await you at the main gate."
And with that he and Qualdio left, leaving Denestra to answer all the questions.

Thimacek
2013-05-03, 12:58 AM
Gwint lingered for a bit, looking to his sides. He was not particularly comfortable being the first to voice questions, but as nobody else said anything, he felt he might take the lead after all.

"A mission, you say. Is there anything we ought to keep in mind in our preparations for it, ma'am?

Falcon777
2013-05-05, 09:16 PM
Michael nodded his head in agreement. "Yes, the tone of your voice suggests that we may actually be fixing a serious problem that we would normally not be ready for. Is there anything you can tell us about the situation?"

Philemonite
2013-05-06, 09:49 AM
"Bring warm clothing, you will probably need it. Food, water and some extra weapons would be a good idea. Due to the minor crisis we have at the Sandius border we do not have enough men to cover all our missions. You will probably be going to Denora, so be ready for some cold reception, from the people, and the weather. As for not being ready, from this day you are operatives of Asiria Academy, you are not allowed not to be ready."

Thimacek
2013-05-06, 07:18 PM
The Aegyl seems thoughtful, though he has a smirk on the corner of his lips. "Extra weapons? Do you mean that as in 'variety' or 'spare' weapons?" He stretches his arms, rolls his shoulders. "It somehow sounds like our usual equipment may not be enough. Or... not be there."

Not that this concerns me greatly, he thinks, and the smirk evolves to a grin covering the better part of his face.

Serby
2013-05-06, 10:21 PM
"There is quite a difference between having weapons that aren't going to be helpful and having your weapons unavailable." Although he seems to mostly be talking to himself, Nican speaks loud enough for the group to hear, as long as they are paying any attention. "Could be a need for different types - a hammer may be better than a pin in most cases, but only one'll do much against a piece of paper. Or is it more a matter that we will likely be asked not to carry weapons somewhere that we're also likely to need them? Or do you just mean that sometimes we might not want to go up into the face of whirling blades of death? And sometimes that's the better option for those who prefer to keep back."

Thinking about his own light moneypouch, Nican considers his options. At least I've got a little variety of options. Hopefully a winter blanket and a bit of will will cover the warmth. Should be able to get that and a back-up weapon with a little left for food.

Realizing as his thoughts start going, Nican decides to ask for everyone's benefit. "How long are we going to be away from readily available food and water, would you say?"

Philemonite
2013-05-07, 05:46 AM
"Food and water should not be a problem, it will take less then five days to get to our destination. Finding a blacksmith that is willing to work with you will be a big problem, and stores in Denora do not stock weapons, aside from some ceremonial staves, and those will not help you much. Our relations with Denora are not the best, and the last thing we need right now is to get caught dealing with their black market. Weapons break and rust, and you must be ready for any situation."

Falcon777
2013-05-07, 05:46 PM
"Kist!" Michael cursed. When everyone looked at him, he shrugged his shoulders. "What? I just hate the cold! Now I have to go buy a blanket, and better clothes, another weapon, and maybe another spell just for this situation..." his voice receded as he walked away to gather his things and do some more shopping.

Once Michael had made his purchases and had gathered his things, he made his way to the main gate; well, as quickly as he could, being slightly encumbered as he was.

Michael purchases a blanket, furs, the mount spell, and a longsword.

Thimacek
2013-05-07, 11:28 PM
Gwint laughs at the Red Mage's unexpected (and somewhat grumpy) comment, then bows out with a handwave to Denestra and another to his companions. ""Off to fetch us some more grub, shall we sis'?" he says, his head directed towards the wolf, who quickly follows him out.

As he comes walking towards the Main Gate to meet the others, it is clear his backpack is heavier than he'd like - and also bulkier. Anyone coming closer may well feel a strong smell coming from the top part of the haversack; apparently most of the bulk comes from food for Gwaedd, who trots happily beside the Aegyl and casually sits by his side when he stops.

Bought extra Combat Gloves, took an extra Sling, and got a cold outfit and extra days of Rations and Feed for Gwaedd. Gosh, Feed is HEAVY!

Naridax
2013-05-08, 08:52 AM
Morricad leaves to go get supplies fortunately he was prepared for this trip besides a winter outfit which he finds in his size. Afterwards he heads to the main gate where his allies wait. There he stands waiting for the rest of his new squad mates.

Serby
2013-05-08, 08:31 PM
Finding his questions fairly well answered (at least as well as he expected them to be), Nican wanders off to pick up a few more supplies for the trip. Having mostly planned what he needed as he made his way to the shops, the trip was quick.

As such, when Nican arrives at the gate, there is little change.

Nican plans to try to tough out the cold, but picks up a winter blanket just in case, a dagger, and a sling - because I was completely oblivious - and a couple stones for ammo

Fake Roosevelt
2013-05-10, 11:11 PM
"Terp! Come on, girl, find my shoes!"

How very typical of you, he thought. You set your alarm so you'll have plenty of time to get ready and report for briefing with the new squad, and what do you do?

Terpsichore, gears turning and cogs whirring, was sniffing under the bed. Her tail - a series of short tubes connected with ball joints - wagging frantically, she succeeded in dragging out a pair of once-sturdy boots. She looked up at Seb expectantly.

He looked down at his mechanical friend. She (well, it, technically, but what did it matter?) was unintelligent of course, designed only to mimic the dog she'd been built to replace, but Seb often projected his own thoughts onto her. The expression (or lack thereof, she was just metal, leather, and wires, after all) on her face was all too easy for him to "read": Shouldn't you be getting ready instead of standing there berating yourself?"

"I know, I know, be quiet," he said, sitting on the bed and pulling his boots on. "But it needed cleaning!"

Terpsichore's head tilted slightly, inquiring.

"No, I, er... well so what? This isn't the firing range, Terp, we're going on an actual mission. I need my pistol to be tip-top."

He sighed. Why couldn't he have just overslept, like any normal cadet? If he was five years younger (the age of most other cadets, he reminded himself), he may have done just that without a second thought. But no, he was up needlessly early, just to make sure he'd absolutely be on time for mission briefing.

But then he'd noticed his gun was dirty... and the firing mechanism wasn't quite moving smoothly... he'd have done a test shot, but he didn't want to waste ammo and certainly didn't want to take the time to go out to the firing range. So he'd had a seat at the workbench and took the gun apart, cleaning and oiling each piece separately. Then he'd gotten to thinking about Terpsichore, and new improvements and more efficient changes he needed to make, so he'd pulled out his notes and designs and began making changes. All the while he'd told himself just two more minutes and before he knew it the extra two hours he'd given himself had dwindled to seven minutes before the scheduled meeting time... and then he realized he hadn't washed or dressed.

Now it was twenty minutes past rendezvous and he was dashing about his quarters, hopping on one foot while pulling a boot onto his other, a piece of toast in his mouth as he made his way back toward the workbench to collect his tools. His mind racing to come up with some excuse and to formulate an apology that wouldn't get him punishment detail, he bit down on the toast and allowed the rest to fall to the floor.

"Terp!" he hissed. "Come here! Open up!"

Terpsichore click-clacked over and stood with her side to Seb. A small compartment built into her body opened up. Seb started hastily shoving his tools inside. Terp growled softly at this, and Seb mumbled an apology. ("I'll clean the mess later, there's just no time...")

Now fully dressed - a stylish tropical shirt with collar and sleeves peeking out from under his studded leather armor along with his least-filthy jeans - Seb scooped up his backpack. After a quick check to confirm his other equipment hadn't walked away since he'd packed last night, Seb called Terpsichore to heel and dashed out into the hall, his mechanical dog hurrying to keep up.

OOC: I promise to try not to write an entire book for every single post :smalltongue: Also, edited to fix text color, too similar to Serby's, oops.

Falcon777
2013-05-12, 03:33 PM
Despite the fact that Michael had some extra weight that he was carrying, he still made it there on time. He could see his instructors waiting for everyone to arrive. Surprisingly someone he did not meet before joined the group. However, Valan Panlie still seemed to be missing, and Michael could have sworn that an hour had passed by. He hoped that no one would get left behind.

Philemonite
2013-05-15, 08:12 AM
As you approach the gate you can see that your instructors are already there. Within a few minutes all of your teammates are gathered and ready to go, including a new addition to the team.
Before Denestra has a chance to bore you with one of her speeches, Galdios interrupts her:
"We need to get going, it will take us more then two days to get to our destination. All of your questions will be answered on the road."

Fake Roosevelt
2013-05-15, 08:54 AM
Looking to save face after his late arrival - and in an effort to appear more competent - Seb spoke first.

"Yeah, I'm uh... Okay so, what even is the plan here? What's the objective? What's the, you know, give us the bottom line here."

Terpsichore was sitting quietly at Seb's heel. He looked down at her, as though for support, but when she didn't say anything, Seb went on.

"What, are we... are we like, rescuing someone? Or like, are we eliminating a target? Anything like that?"

Philemonite
2013-05-15, 09:06 AM
"This is an investigation mission. There have been reports of strange happenings. Once we are there we will see what needs to be done. The mission could turn into anything. Except assassination, that is the job for the special squad."

Fake Roosevelt
2013-05-15, 10:07 AM
"Hm. 'Strange happenings,' huh?" Seb scratched idly at his scruffy beard. "What sort of strange happenings? Is there any point in asking for details?"

He hesitated then, not sure if he was speaking out of turn. But you've already begun, he told himself. May as well finish

"I'm just saying if you've gotten reports, it stands to reason you know what sorts of strange happenings there've been. And besides," he went on, "'strange' is kind of a subjective measure. Are we talking 'people vanishing' strange? Maybe 'unexplained thefts' strange? Or are we talking all-out 'people turning into chocobos and praying to a false idol' strange? We kind of... need to... know... don't we?"

Seb mumbled to a stop. He cleared his throat and murmured something about needing to know as much as possible since it's an investigation.

Philemonite
2013-05-15, 10:14 AM
"Those reports are classified, and you are still cadets, at least until we finish this mission. Besides, we need you to be on alert, and if you don't know what to look for you will look for everything."

Falcon777
2013-05-15, 11:33 AM
Michael raised an eyebrow at the instructor's comments, but chose not to respond.

"I know the mount spell, so if you want I could kind of act as a scout of sorts for us while we travel. If not, I'll just ride anyways just so I'm not hauling all of this stuff by myself."

Michael then cast the mount spell, summoning a yellow chocobo.

Thimacek
2013-05-15, 12:20 PM
"I suppose I could also fly ahead when we get closer.", the Aegyl says, visibly hampered by the weight of his overloaded backpack. "And I say when we get closer because some of the grub on my back will be gone by then...", he adds, somewhat jokingly. "Of course I could have a look around at any moment if someone would offer to carry some of sis' feed". He pats the wolf's ears as he says that, as if reassurring her that it's no big deal having to haul her food around.

Perhaps it'd have been easier to just try and hunt for food after all... but the others would likely not be so happy about that, so that's that.

Fake Roosevelt
2013-05-15, 12:45 PM
Seb's first thought was to say If we don't know what we're looking for, how are we going to find it?

But he caught Terpsichore's eye, and something about her glance told him what it meant: You're being stupid, Seb.

Of course. If it was something serious, the information their team gathered would be useful to the more experienced teams that came after.

But then the chocobo was there, and Terpsichore was suddenly very aware of its presence. She held still (well, except for the turning cogs visible in its flanks), watching it closely. Seb recognized this as nervousness in his companion, and reached down to scratch her leather ears.

The aegyl was speaking, then, hinting that maybe it'd be nice if someone helped carry some of their feed.

"Over here," Seb waved. "Terp here probably has some storage space left. So long as you don't mind your feed brushing up against some old tools."

Naridax
2013-05-15, 01:32 PM
Morricad was rushing to catch up to the rest of his squad mates and hears about the mission. He was a little nervous about rushing into a mission without knowing any thing more than strange things are happening. Though he still kept a smile on his face. As he saw the chocobo and the Aegyl took flight. "We it seems like me and" he looks at the new member "I am sorry who are you? You weren't in the room with the others."

Fake Roosevelt
2013-05-15, 02:00 PM
"Oh!" Seb looked down at this new voice and spotted a nu mou.

He racked his brain for a few moments. Then:

(speaking numish)

"Hello! I am called Sebastian, or Seb as short. The clock dog is Terpsichore. I know we will be late, but please don't think less of us for this!"

"Uh... sorry, my numish is a little rusty. I haven't had much practice since I was a kid, so I may have made a few mistakes. I'm the team's engineer, look's like."

Naridax
2013-05-15, 02:12 PM
(In Numish)"You don't have to speak Numish to me. I speak common in fact it's like a second language. " Morricad says with a slight chuckle. (In common) "Hello Sebastian and Terpsichore a pleasure to have you on the team."

Fake Roosevelt
2013-05-15, 08:58 PM
(ooc: I'm assuming we're at the point where the group is actually moving, but correct me if I'm wrong.)

Seb had hoped his ability to (more or less) speak Numish would impress the Nu Mou, but it seemed as though Morricad was used to that sort of thing.

"Ah," he said. "Yeah, I guess that's why they call it Common, huh? Ha ... a ha ha... um." Embarassed, he fizzled out into silence.

He began slowly to make small talk with the others (ooc: basically that's just to justify knowing the backstories everyone posted earlier, so we don't have to repost anything). When invited, he spoke briefly about his own past.

"Not a lot to tell," he began. "My father was a soldier, so he wasn't home a lot. After mom died, though, he dragged me along everywhere. I still didn't see too much of him, so he bought me a dog to keep me company. When we lived in Sandius I fell in love with the big cities and the wonderful machines there... I had to, you know, to see how it all worked. By the time I was able to build anything really impressive, my dog had passed on, so ... a friend gave me the idea to build a new one, and she's the result," he finished, gesturing to Terpsichore.

As he looked down at Terp, idle thoughts bubbling below his mind rose to the surface. And as he usually did, he thought of it as though Terpsichore were speaking to him.

You're wasting an opportunity, she seemed to say. You've been invited to ask those officers any questions about the mission, and now you're blowing it. Can't you think of anything else that might be important?

Seb wracked his mind. He'd taken in so much new info in such a short time, he was too busy processing it to really focus on anything else. Besides, his last question had been knocked aside with a big ol' That info is above your clearance level, citizen. Talk about discouraging.

I can't think of anything else, he realized. He looked down at his feet and continued walking quietly, hoping someone a little more knowledgeable would speak up and ask the right questions.

Serby
2013-05-16, 01:50 AM
Processing all the new information and events that have happened recently, Nican finally manages to catch up with the present, if just for a moment.

"So no complaints about what we find, as long as we manage to find what we need to within whatever time limit we have. After all, if we look for everything, we could find anything." Even as he speaks his mind wanders in a couple different directions and he tries to cover it all aloud, to try to help spark his team's thoughts. "Unless that's part of the point. If our importance is fresh, unconnected eyes, then it's better not to have the information that someone else has decided and a group has agreed is the important stuff. Or it's mostly solved and they want to see how quickly we can catch up. But that seems unlikely."

Although he mostly talked to himself, he did try to speak loud enough for anyone that was interested in listening to hear.

After some time walking, Nican found himself near the back of the group, doing his best to keep up but managed to catch a bit of disappointment on the newest team member's face. Figuring that it was due to the lack of information explicitly given by the answer, Nican had a few jumps in thought, considering explicit vs. implied information, then one of his brother's favorite questions in the guessing games they would occassionally play. It had been years, but it still stuck with Nican as a great example of implied information, and besides, he was drawing a blank on questions that needed answering.

"So, assuming you're allowed to answer, I think I have a question or two. First, what question that you can answer would you ask if you were us? Then, what question would you ask that you can't?" Although he tries to keep a smile as he waits for the answer, he can't hide a little bit of a smirk.

Philemonite
2013-05-19, 09:54 AM
"My first question would probably be what is the punishment for trying to mess with my superiors." Galdios said with what appears to be a smile, but you can never be sure when dealing with a Ronso.
"I might give you a few ideas." Denestra said with a smile.
"Unless someone has another question. Anyone?"
The silence felt like a death sentence to the Ronso, and you are surprised at his reaction.
Your confusion does not last long, since you soon realize why Denestra should never be allowed to speak. Not only are her stories so boring and not helpful at all, but she tells them with such a vigor that it makes them even more boring. You swear an oath that you will never let her speak and that you will ask the first thing that you can think of.

Naridax
2013-05-19, 04:21 PM
Morricad begin to think for a few seconds "Has there been an increase of monster attacks? A unexpected rise of monster attacks seems both guild worthy and a task to test cadets."

Thimacek
2013-05-19, 08:29 PM
At first, the Aegyl shrugged off the Hume's help - "Nah, only if I need to take a look around" and so on - but he ended up accepting the metal dog's help and soon was not walking, but gliding along with the others and the wolf that followed them around, eventually straying a bit to sniff something at the side of the road.

Gwint chuckles slightly on hearing the armoured Hume's question - Nican, was it? - and could not help chuckling a bit louder after the instructor's answer. He was a funny Ronso, that one.

In a way.

After some time of Denestra's storytelling, which almost managed to make him fell asleep even while gliding along, the Nu Mou's question gets Gwint's attention again.

Monster attacks, huh? Well, that could be a possibility. But it somehow sounded more like a "hacking" than a "scouting" job, he thought, unconsciously shaking his head slightly. Naah... probbly sumthin' else.

He smiled to himself. It's funny how intent all of them were on knowing what they were after. It did make sense, of course. But from the instructors' answers, it did not look like any questions they could ask would help them at all, so why go and bother?

Not to let stories lull them to sleep, that's why.

Well, the Nu Mou had taken his turn. Maybe he'd take his once there was an answer.

Fake Roosevelt
2013-05-22, 01:28 AM
ooc: I accidentally entered 1d29 for a roll instead of 1d20, and when I went to add a new roll to replace it, it didn't come up. Reposting, but keeping the other two rolls at their unfortunate values.

Sebastian appeared to be contemplating an area above and to the left of his head, but had in reality been contemplating his instructors.

He understood that as a cadet, when an instructor said "That's classified," he wasn't going to get any more information out of them.

But that didn't mean he couldn't watch them closely, right? Attempt to at least detect how they felt about the mission ahead? He thought maybe he could discern their attitudes, since their thoughts were clearly out of reach.

You're usually a little too distracted for that, the little semi-Terpsichore voice warned. Frankly, you can be somewhat oblivious.

Seb ignored this and decided to make some observations anyway. He watched the body language of his instructors, and replayed their words in his mind. He payed particular attention not just to the things they had said, but also to the way they had spoken.

Sense Motive directed at Denestra: (1d20-1) [14]
Sense Motive directed at Galdios: (1d20-1) [0]
Sense Motive directed at Qualdio: [roll0]
ooc: Oh man, love those critical failures.
EDIT: ooc: wait, that 19 was actually a Natural 20, since my Sense Motive mod is -1... so I guess it balances out?

Philemonite
2013-05-22, 01:08 PM
"There has been an increase in monster attacks, but that is not the main cause. There is something else behind it. We believe it is magic related, but we can not identify the source. That is why we need you, you might see something we missed."

Sebastian

Denestra

The only thing that you notice about her is that she is trying way too much to cheer you up, as if she knows that what awaits you is not going to be pretty.

Galdios

Every emotion and thought can be read on Galdios's face, the only problem is that you ca not read it.

Qualdio

At the first glance there is nothing you can see about Qualdio. His face shows no emotions, and you start to think that he is impossible to read.
As you take a closer look you start to see the little signs, the way two other instructors look at him, the way that he keeps himself away from the debate, the way that nobody seams to notice him. Something seams strange, but you can not define what.

Fake Roosevelt
2013-05-22, 06:51 PM
Seb felt his stomach sink. Monsters were one thing, but magic? He was familiar with magic, of course - who wasn't, at least a little bit? But his area of expertise was in mechanics. He'd fiddled with materia some, but hadn't learned much more than the absolute basics.

What was more, he got the feeling Denestra knew exactly what was coming... but he didn't want to probe for more info, lest he provoke another long-winded story. Galdios was inscrutable - maybe he just hadn't spent enough time around ronso.

The aegyl, though... for the first time, Seb noticed Qualdio had been keeping very quiet. Maybe he preferred to think of himself as a lone-wolf? Seb wasn't so sure. Qualdio seemed strange, somehow. Distant.

Seb glanced at Terp for support, and seemed to find it there. He began to feel a sneaking suspicion about this aegyl.

He knows something, Seb decided at once. Something important. Oh, man... maybe I should be careful of him.

That's awfully cynical of you, Terpsichore scolded.

It doesn't hurt to be too careful, Seb rationalized, especially with new people... who are being conspicuously quiet.

He decided he ought to get a second opinion, just to be sure. But he couldn't risk being overheard asking someone "Do you think we can trust this guy? He seems shady to me."

So instead, Sebastian made his way over and began walking alongside Morricad. Hoping the aegyl wouldn't hear (and didn't speak the language), he spoke in a low voice:

In numish:
"What do you to think of the instructor aegyl? I am to think he is much quiet. Perhaps we will not trust?"

Naridax
2013-05-22, 08:21 PM
"Well monsters and magic do always seem to compliment each other. I should know I do specialize creature magic." Morricad said with a slight smile. Sebastian came close to whisper to Morricad. Morricad whispers back.
In Numish"The aegyl? I hardly noticed him. He's the kind that kind of blend into background. Why what's wrong?"

Fake Roosevelt
2013-05-22, 10:15 PM
Seb took a moment to choose his words carefully (and then try to remember how to say them in numish).

In numish:
"Perhaps I am only to imagine, but I am to think he is to have planning something suspicious. You to watch the other instructors. Do you see? They give him ... odd faces. They seem to have uncomfortable at him. Do you have notice? Or my to imagine?" Seb paused, then added: "Sorry again my numish."

Naridax
2013-05-22, 10:36 PM
Morricad looks at the aegyl instructor and, tries to see if he is acting odd like Sebastian thinks.
Not sure which to roll so rolling a Perception and Sense Motive.
Sense Motive-[roll0]
Perception-[roll1]

Thimacek
2013-05-22, 11:09 PM
Reposting since rolls didn't work!

Thimacek
2013-05-23, 12:09 AM
Magic and monsters, eh? Well, that was some info at least. He thought about possible other questions to add to Morricad's, but drew a blank.

Just then he noticed the Nu Mou being approached by the hume with the clockwork dog, who muttered something to him. He couldn't quite gather what he said. Hah, secrecy. 's all we need. Well, who cares..., he thought, somewhat grumpily. But the truth is, maybe he did care...

It...somehow seemed like some looks were being exchanged in addition to whispers - from one to the other, maybe from them to... the instructors?

As he did not quite catch what was going on, he flew a bit lower, trying to come a bit closer and see whether he could get a better idea of what was going on.

Sense motive checks on Seb, Morricad and the instructors

EDIT: Trying to repost rolls, as they didn't seem to actually produce rolls
Seb [roll0]

Morricad [roll1]

Denestra [roll2]

Galdios [roll3]

Qualdio [roll4]

Fake Roosevelt
2013-05-23, 09:03 AM
Seb heard something overhead, and for a brief moment his heart was in his throat - it was Qualdio, listening in!

Then his brain caught up with his eyes and he saw that it was Gwint, the younger aegyl. He relaxed.

I wonder what he thinks of Qualdio, he thought. How do I tell Gwint to keep an eye on him, though? If I speak up in Common, I might be heard.

Seb looked up at Gwint and raised an eyebrow. Then he cocked his head toward the elder aegyl, who still appeared to not be paying attention. Taking care to let Gwint see his face, Seb furrowed his brow and tipped his head, as though to say "that's strange." Then, he quickly pointed at his own eyes, then at Qualdio, in a single fluid motion. He nodded subtly toward the other two instructors, and finally he pointed one last time at Qualdio and shook his head twice, firmly. Hopefully that'd be enough to convey the basic heads-up.

Bluff check to tell Gwint "Qualdio seems strange. Keep an eye on him, the other two instructors don't seem comfortable around him." My trait penalty cancels out my CHA mod to Bluff, so it's a straight d20 roll for me: [roll0]

Thimacek
2013-05-23, 05:21 PM
Gwint held back some when he saw Seb startle as he came closer. The hume then started gesturing. A message. So the secrecy wasn't directed at the other group members... the instructors, then?

Reading by Pathfinder rules, since the DC for Seb was 10 and he succeeded Gwint'd automatically understand the message? Well, I'll use a Sense Motive check to understand it for now and go with the results.

(1d20+4)[10]

So, that means I don't catch the message?

Thimacek
2013-05-23, 10:52 PM
Seb looked up at Gwint and raised an eyebrow. Then he cocked his head toward the elder aegyl, who still appeared to not be paying attention. Taking care to let Gwint see his face, Seb furrowed his brow and tipped his head, as though to say "that's strange." Then, he quickly pointed at his own eyes, then at Qualdio, in a single fluid motion. He nodded subtly toward the other two instructors, and finally he pointed one last time at Qualdio and shook his head twice, firmly. Hopefully that'd be enough to convey the basic heads-up.

He nodded to Seb as if signaling he understood him.

So... was there something amiss after all?

Waiting on Asteron's answer to the previous Sense Motive roll! Just reminding, the result had been a 24 on Qualdio

Philemonite
2013-05-24, 12:40 PM
Morricad

As you take a closer look at Qualdio you notice that he keeps to himself. There isn't much you can read from his expression or his body language. What little you can see makes you think that he knows more than the other two instructors.

Gwintblaidd

Denestra

The only thing that you notice about her is that she is trying way too much to cheer you up, as if she knows that what awaits you is not going to be pretty.

Galdios

Every emotion and thought can be read on Galdios's face, the only problem is that you ca not read it.

Qualdio

At the first glance there is nothing you can see about Qualdio. His face shows no emotions, and you start to think that he is impossible to read.
As you take a closer look you start to see the little signs, the way two other instructors look at him, the way that he keeps himself away from the debate, the way that nobody seams to notice him. Something seams strange, but you can not define what.

Naridax
2013-05-25, 03:51 PM
In NumishYou're right Sebastian he does look kinda peculiar.

Fake Roosevelt
2013-05-26, 08:00 PM
Seb continued whispering in numish, now also watching to see how Gwint would react.

In numish:
"Oh, good, so it is not only my imagination. But what can we to do? Maybe it is better if we are to watch close? Better to have safe..."

Only then did it occur to Seb that maybe he ought to just talk directly to Qualdio. Duh. He was an instructor, not an enemy. At least, not so far as Seb could tell. Maybe, he figured, he was just a little miffed that the instructors were actively withholding information. Sure, it was their right and privilege to do so, but that didn't change how it felt. And so maybe he was being unjustly suspicious...

But he wasn't imagining the way the other teachers had been looking at Qualdio, either. Of that he was sure. There was something else going on...

But Seb kept his mouth shut. He was already wary, and he was convinced that if he tried talking to Qualdio now, he wouldn't be able to hide his suspicion.

speaking numish:

"Go talk to him," Seb hissed. "We will to go nowhere just at to guess. I am very nervous, I can not to speak, he will know I am suspect him."

Naridax
2013-05-26, 09:39 PM
(In Numish)Alright here goes nothing
(In Common) "Ah the forest I use to live real close to a forest in my old home in Denora. I use to go and look at the various flora and on occasion the wildlife. Though I remember my parents always warning me about it. Saying Goblins and other monsters were hidden deep within the forest. They even told me of the flora gaining consciousness and would attack those who travel too deep."
Morricad advanced towards and look at Qualdio. "I hate to ask another question but since no one else is going to ask I'll do it myself. Do you know anything specifically about this forest?

Philemonite
2013-05-30, 12:27 PM
"Goblins are the least of trouble when you go into the forest." Qualdio answered with a sigh.
"Sentient trees can be very dangerous. The Forest Maiden can be unforgiving, and some stories say that her influence reaches Denora. I haven't been there for a very long time, so there is not much I can tell you."

Fake Roosevelt
2013-05-30, 09:36 PM
Seb sidestepped a sizable oak just as Qualdio mentioned sentient trees. He tensed and picked up his pace a little. He watched Qualdio closely as he spoke, and listened very carefully.

Common Knowledge (Int) check for any lore about the Forest Maiden: [roll0]
Sense Motive directed at Qualdio to detect lies: [roll1]

Naridax
2013-05-31, 06:28 AM
"Ah well my assumption was right. Though can you go into detail about The Forest Maiden. I never heard of this legend though that maybe because I focus too much time studying creatures." Morricad was still a little cautious about the aegyl and still studies him just to be safe.
Sense Motive[roll0]To make sure Qualdio isn't hiding anything

Philemonite
2013-05-31, 07:27 AM
Seb

Many legends speak of the Forest Maiden, but none can define who or what she is. Some believe that it is just a myth, a personification of nature. Some believe that it is just the residents of the forest who use the myth to protect themselves from the outsiders. Others believe that the Forest Maiden is a powerful entity, with power equivalent to a deity.

Morricad

As far as you can see Qualdio is withholding some information, but doesn't seem like he is doing it willingly, he is just not allowed to tell you everything.

Fake Roosevelt
2013-06-05, 09:33 AM
"The Forest Maiden, huh?" Seb said. "That's just a myth, isn't it? There are too many conflicting stories about it. Probably it's just the natives in the forest spreading rumors to keep people out."

Philemonite
2013-06-05, 09:41 AM
"That is one of the theories, yes." Qualdio answered."However, some believe her to be an actual deity. I remain skeptical, but I do believe that she actually exists. I estimate her power to be roughly on the same level as the Subolets. Greater when she is in the forest, but probably lesser outside of her home."

Naridax
2013-06-05, 10:35 AM
"Ah interesting though I believe we might have spent too much time talking we should get going."

Philemonite
2013-06-06, 05:34 AM
As you approach your destination you feel strange. The night has fallen, but the moon is shining brightly. In the distance, you can see three flying figures. At first you don't even notice it thinking that it's just some birds, but as they come closer you can see that is not the case. You can see three riders in heavy armor. However, it is their mounts that surprise you the most. With bodies of a lion, an eagle's head and huge wings they are the strangest creatures you have ever seen. What surprises you even more is that your instructors show no signs of any reaction as the riders get close and land just a few feet away from you.

Naridax
2013-06-06, 12:32 PM
Morricad was a bit cautious to see the strange new creatures and their riders. He looks at the mounts to decipher what kind of creature it is.
Knowledge (Beast Lore) to identify the mounts.

Philemonite
2013-06-06, 12:36 PM
Morricad

With all of your knowledge you still can not identify the creatures. They seam like strange amalgams of different creatures. It is as if they do not belong in this world.

Fake Roosevelt
2013-06-06, 09:38 PM
As the riders approached, Seb was startled out of his thoughts. He noticed the riders first, and then that Terpsichore was growling at their mounts (though to anyone that didn't know better, it was less of a true growl and more the grind grind grind of clockwork not quite aligning properly).

Sebastian scratched her ears to try and calm her, but it didn't seem to help. He rested his other hand on his pistol, ready to draw at a moment's notice. When he realized the instructors were unsurprised - seemed even to be expecting these folks, he turned the safety off.

"Who're they?", he murmured.

Naridax
2013-06-07, 08:45 AM
"I have no clue and they are riding creatures that I have never seen before not in any of my books or research." Morricad murmured back.

Philemonite
2013-06-08, 11:01 AM
At first the instructors do nothing, as if they are waiting for cadet's reactions. But, as the dust settles one of the armored figures speaks up:
"This area is under investigation by the Guardians. Leave immediately."

Fake Roosevelt
2013-06-08, 07:39 PM
"Yeah, we know," Seb said, as though it were obvious. "That's why we're here. What news?"

It was a dangerous bluff, Seb knew, he just had to hope it worked.

Dice, don't fail me now!
Bluff check gets a straight d20: [roll0]
General Knowledge (Int) check for info on the Guardians: [roll1]

Philemonite
2013-06-09, 08:58 AM
Seb

Guardians? That sounds vaguely familiar, but you can not remember where from. For some reason the first thing that comes to mind are gryphons, but they don't really exist, do they?

The armored figure looks at Seb. He was not amused.

"The news is that this area is under investigation by the Guardians, and you need to leave immediately. I guess you didn't hear me the first time."

As the other instructors look unsure of what to do now Qualdio speaks up.

"We are representatives of Asiria Academy. What do you have to report?"

The response was swift.

"Nothing, the Guardians do not work for the academy."

Qualdio didn't even blink at the reaction, as if he was expecting it.

Naridax
2013-06-09, 06:23 PM
"Excuse us guardian we are here to also investigate this area by the academy's desire so maybe we can try to help. From what we have heard there have been an increase of monster attacks and we believe some sort of magic is responsible. Morricad said talking to the armored figures. While still amazed by the strange creature.

Fake Roosevelt
2013-06-11, 09:19 PM
Seb's face turned apple-red when the mounted warrior steamrolled him.

He saw right through you, Terpsichore "said."

Clearly they weren't from the academy, and more clearly they weren't playing games. And those mounts... somewhere, Seb had heard of the Guardians, but all he seemed able to recall was that they rode gryphons - which was impossible, of course. Yet, these creatures seemed to be the genuine article... impossible, but there.

And yet Qualdio seemed completely unsurprised by both their appearance and their demeanor. Could he have known this would happen? Was he in on this somehow?

"I agree with the nu-mou," he ventured, perhaps a little too breezily for one who had just embarrassed himself so thoroughly, but Sebastian had never known quite when to stop talking. "We're academy cadets, so we know basically what we're doing. We'd like to be helpful, if you'd let us."

ooc: Still not sure I can trust Qualdio, especially with his quiet acceptance of these supposedly imaginary creatures and these big warrior guys and their brand of no-nonsense toughness.
Sense Motive on Qualdio - is he in on this somehow? [roll0]
Sense Motive on armored guy: is he itching for a fight or just trying to scare us off? [roll1]

Philemonite
2013-06-12, 05:25 AM
OOC: Let me just skip your rolls, or do you want me to blind Seb for staring? :smalltongue:

The armored figure takes another look at Morricad and Seb.

"Do I need to repeat myself again? You are not welcome here, leave."

As Qualdio speaks his voice seams commanding and you feel a little frightened.

"This realm is under the protection of the Subolet, it is you who are not welcome her, without our approval. What do you have to report?"

As he speaks you notice a faint light coming from his sleeves.

The armored figure looks confused, like he did not expect any resistance. He quickly recovers and responds with a slight uncertainty in his voice.

"Our mission is classified, we can not share the details without approval." He says while looking at the cadets.

Philemonite
2013-06-16, 09:47 AM
"They are potentials, everything you have to say to us you can say to them."

The armored figure looks at the cadets with surprise.

"They are? That is impressive. Does that include the others?"

Qualdio was amused. It only took him a few words to make the Guardians realize who is in charge here.
"I see your senses are working, they didn't even have a chance to catch up to us until now. Yes, Delorian is one of us, and cadets are also potentials."

"Then I guess I can provide some information. A dimensional rift has opened not too far from here. We are investigating the cause, and so far we did not have much luck. There is a powerful wizard not too far from here, we think he might have something to do with it. The problem is he is not very cooperative. Maybe you will have some more luck?"

Naridax
2013-06-17, 10:19 AM
"A dimensional rift how peculiar?Morricad thought to himself until he was ready to speak. "Interesting a dimensional rift have any strange occurrences happened after the rift's opening? Or is it the cause of the increase monster attacks? And do you have any evidence that proves that the wizard is the cause of the rift? I mean how wouldn't easily cooperate with anyone if they wildly accuse me of something.

Fake Roosevelt
2013-06-18, 11:42 AM
A dimensional rift? This wasn't quite what Seb was anticipating. Nor was he sure how best to proceed.

"Is there any chance the rift was caused by mistake?" Seb asked. "Or maybe it just occurred naturally? Are there any experts we could consult? Or wait... Is this wizard the expert? Morricad's right, I think accusing him outright is probably not the way to get his help. And besides, do we even know for sure what the dangers of this rift are?"

Knowledge: Technology check. I'm trying to determine whether it's possible to create or seal a dimensional rift with technology, and if so how difficult it would be for someone of my skill level. Hopefully my abysmal roll streak is over. Here goes... [roll0]

Philemonite
2013-06-20, 12:13 PM
By the time the Guardian starts answering the questions about the rift the other squad approaches. Without a word they listen to his explanation, ready to ask some questions of their own.

"Every dimensional rift causes some overlap of two dimensions. Potential ramifications of this phenomena can alter your world completely. I am afraid that the size of this rift makes it a big threat. We have never seen a rift of this size occur normally, so we have discarded that possibility. A mistake is possible, but unlikely. We do not claim that the wizard created the rift. However, he has information he is not willing to share. We have tried to close the rift, but our standard methods are not working. We believe that someone not only created this rift, but is also sustaining and probably expending it. We can not allow this to continue."

Seb

You have never heard of such a machine, but it is probably possible to create one. However, this is beyond your skill. You might be able to manipulate such a machine if someone else builds it.

Fake Roosevelt
2013-06-23, 10:37 AM
"Well the way I see it," Seb said, slowly, after a moment of consideration, "we need someone to talk to this wizard. Someone who isn't riding up on griffins and knocking down doors and trying to muscle the poor guy. Get into his good graces, you know? Meantime, maybe we need to try a new approach with the rift. Maybe we can find a way to seal it, contain it somehow until we have a way to close it completely. I bet we could get somebody to build a device that could do the trick."

Then he noticed yet more people approaching. "And... who is this, now?"

Naridax
2013-06-24, 11:35 AM
I think I could approach the wizard and see if I can gain his trust. He might tell me how the rift opened, or how to close it or if had an outside influence. Though your idea seems interesting if we had a machine that could close it we could use it in case another rift opens. Morricad said then he turned to see new faces. "Hello there who are you? Morricad said to the new guest.

Philemonite
2013-07-02, 03:30 AM
"Team, I would like you to meet your new teammates." Denestra said with a smile.
"This are Anre the Red Mage, Vildenkainen the Necromancer and Willem the Dragoon. And this is our friend Delorian. He is also an instructor. They got here just in time."

Naridax
2013-07-02, 08:04 AM
"Hello Anre, Vildenkainen, and Willem it is a pleasure to meet more fellow cadets." Morricad bows to them. "My name is Morricad and I am a student of the Azure arts other wise known as a Blue Mage."