PDA

View Full Version : magic immunity is spell immunity?

isildur
2013-04-22, 10:29 AM
than, i can blast demilich with orb of x?

or demilich is also immune to non direct magic?

Harrow
2013-04-22, 11:28 AM
You're thinking of Immune to Magic, which is what golems have and is, in effect, unlimited spell resistance. Demiliches have Magic Immune, which gives immunity to "all magical and supernatural effects", then gives a small list of exceptions. This pretty much means demiliches are untouched by the stuff under a magical or supernatural abilities "Effect" entry. So Damage from and Orb spell? Immune. Attack from a Cloud of Knives? Immune. Summoned monster? No, because the magical effect isn't targeting the demilich. However, I think that would mean you can't summon or call demiliches, with, say, a Gate or something like that, which is... weird and interesting.

Looking closer, you can bring down SR, so a golem should still be able to get beneficial effects if it wanted (or was commanded) to. But I don't think there's any method for a demilich to do so, so by RAW they can't buff themselves via spells or magic items. Which is, again, weird and interesting.

One final thing, being an (Ex) ability, that means it functions inside an anti-magic field, so demiliches can cast in those. Unfortunately, the spells can't persist on their own in the field, so that would only work for casting buffs on itself, which it can't do anyway. Now, I've seen people argue that the action of spellcasting itself is stopped in an anti-magic field, so a wizard can't cast out of one, and a demilich could undeniably to that.

Scow2
2013-04-22, 11:34 AM
I don't see a Demilich being immune to an Orb spell, by RAI, any more than they are immune to someone using Stone Shape or a similar spell to bring a roof crashing down on their heads (Unless they are likewise immune to things like Alchemists Fire or Acid Flasks).

ericgrau
2013-04-22, 11:46 AM
The demilich is in the epic level handbook which is 3.0. In the change from 3.0 to 3.5 "Magic Immunity" got changed to "Immunity to Magic" and they clarified in each monster entry that it only applies to spells that allow spell resistance. For example the entry in Will-O'-Wisp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/willOWisp.htm) used to look the same as the entry in demilich (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/demilich.htm), but now it doesn't. I would only apply a demilich's magic immunity to spells that allow spell resistance.

herculesftw
2013-05-01, 04:46 AM
pretty crazy how easy it is to become a demi-lich

Jeraa
2013-05-01, 07:37 AM
While it would make sense to change the demilichs (and epic golems) immunity to magic to only effectively infinite spell resistance, its probably wrong.

Even in the 3.5 update booklet (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a) for the Epic Level Handbook, the demilichs (and epic golems) magic immunity was never changed. Its possible that they were left that way on purpose. They had the chance to change it, but didn't.