PDA

View Full Version : Maimed Players

shortnsweet456
2013-04-22, 12:36 PM
I am DMing a game of 3.5, and I have a player who ripped his left eye :smalleek: out as a sacrifice to his god, Venca, to save the party. It was a neat and interesting thing to try, and so I had him roll and let it work. Now I have a maimed spell-caster, and I'm not sure exactly how a. loss of the eye will change his stats (they made him an eyepatch), and b. how I can give him something cool he can get out of it for a really neat idea. :smallsmile:

Flickerdart
2013-04-22, 12:39 PM
Obviously you should have the party seek out the Head of Vecna, to reward the character for faithful service to his god.

Frosty
2013-04-22, 12:39 PM
Penalty to perception checks and attack rolls would fit the bill.

Amnestic
2013-04-22, 12:42 PM
Given the penalties for total blindness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm), I'd give him a -2 penalty on Search/Spot checks and opponents would be considered to have 25% miss chance to the half-blind character, but remove the penalties after [ARBITRARY TIME PERIOD] as he adjusts to his new cyclops condition.

O'course there might be rules for losing an eye I'm not aware of, but I think my numbers are reasonable enough.

Callin
2013-04-22, 12:44 PM
Do you want to penalize the player? I mean it was an epic feat and a God Call at that.

As far as giving him something for it. Knowledge. His god gives him knowledge about something, an item perhaps, that he has to quest for.
Maybe its a cleric only spell (or wiz if reversed) that is on one of Vecna's Domains lists that he can scribe into his spell book.

Killer Angel
2013-04-22, 12:48 PM
b. how I can give him something cool he can get out of it for a really neat idea. :smallsmile:

You can take some inspiration from the eye of gruumsh (http://dndtools.eu/classes/eye-of-gruumsh/). :smallwink:

The Boz
2013-04-22, 12:49 PM
The title of this thread made me think of an actual player actually ripping out their actual eye out of their actual socket in real life.

shortnsweet456
2013-04-22, 12:49 PM
I don't really want to penalize him, I'd like him to benefit from a cool idea. The party was in a really bad position because they didn't check around the room of a dungeon. He was stuck in a web at the time, and it appeared clear that unless something happened it was going to end up a TPK, and he decided his best option was to rip out his own eye and offer it to a God. He rolled pretty well (not a relevant roll, but still), and I let it happen to throw the party a bone.

Gerrtt
2013-04-22, 12:50 PM
Surely you mean that the player's character ripped out his eye and not that the player ripped out his eye. If the latter is indeed the case I hope you first gave out hefty role playing XP and then took him to the emergency room.

In either case there are spells that can restore his eye if he so desired, but I'd say a -2 penalty until he gets used to mono-vision would be appropriate. Shouldn't take too long, the human brain is quite adaptable even later in life (though to be really good he should have lost his eye at a young age).

Personally, I'd go for a regenerate spell from a 13th level cleric...910 gp later and I get my eye back.

Killer Angel
2013-04-22, 12:51 PM
The title of this thread made me think of an actual player actually ripping out their actual eye out of their actual socket in real life.

Of course it is the player, and not the character. It's specified also in the OP.

I have a player who ripped his left eye :smalleek: out as a sacrifice to his god
D&D gamers are known for their bizarre religious sense. :smalltongue:

Marnath
2013-04-22, 12:52 PM
Given the penalties for total blindness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm), I'd give him a -2 penalty on Search/Spot checks and opponents would be considered to have 25% miss chance to the half-blind character, but remove the penalties after [ARBITRARY TIME PERIOD] as he adjusts to his new cyclops condition.

O'course there might be rules for losing an eye I'm not aware of, but I think my numbers are reasonable enough.

Page 27 of the dungeonmaster's guide. For an eye you take a -2 to appraise, craft, decipher script, disable device, forgery, open lock, search, sense motive, spot checks, survival checks( for tracking only), initiative, dexterity checks, ranged attack rolls, reflex saving throws.

shortnsweet456
2013-04-22, 12:54 PM
Page 27 of the dungeonmaster's guide. For an eye you take a -2 to appraise, craft, decipher script, disable device, forgery, open lock, search, sense motive, spot checks, survival checks( for tracking only), initiative, dexterity checks, ranged attack rolls, reflex saving throws.

I didn't see that, awesome!

Barsoom
2013-04-22, 12:55 PM
I don't really want to penalize him, I'd like him to benefit from a cool idea.In that case, give him a minor penalty to one thing, and a minor boon to another. Penalty: -2 to Spot checks. Boon: the eyepatch makes him look badass, +1 to Cha-based skills.

Amnestic
2013-04-22, 12:56 PM

Huh. So it does. Is a Variant rule, but yeah, that works.

I don't really want to penalize him, I'd like him to benefit from a cool idea.

Didn't he benefit by saving the party? :smalltongue: I still think it warrants negatives until he becomes acclimated to it, but you might also offer some minor bonuses (maybe to Intimidate, or the like) for his cool new eyepatch. Maybe a +2 to all charisma checks with in port cities and with pirates?

Gnaeus
2013-04-22, 01:00 PM
Of course it is the player, and not the character. It's specified also in the OP.

D&D gamers are known for their bizarre religious sense. :smalltongue:

If you encourage this behavior all your players will be ripping their eyes out. Not a good image for the hobby.

shortnsweet456
2013-04-22, 01:01 PM
Huh. So it does. Is a Variant rule, but yeah, that works.

Didn't he benefit by saving the party? :smalltongue: I still think it warrants negatives until he becomes acclimated to it, but you might also offer some minor bonuses (maybe to Intimidate, or the like) for his cool new eyepatch. Maybe a +2 to all charisma checks with in port cities and with pirates?

He's definitely still receiving the drawbacks from loss of an eye, but something to balance the loss for the sacrifice I feel is warrented

Scow2
2013-04-22, 01:01 PM
As someone with a one-eyed sibling, I'd say that many penalties is obscene.

I'd say a penalty to spot and search checks... at least as the only 'permanent' penalties.

dascarletm
2013-04-22, 01:09 PM
If you want something cool to give the player, maybe Vecna gives him some knowledge of the Eye of Vecna's whereabouts, or gives him some glowing eye replacement that gives arcane sight or maybe true-seeing. Wait! Even better, have it just negate the penalties, and have it upgradeable with different sight related abilities.

PS: Eye of Fear and Flame

Devils_Advocate
2013-04-22, 01:15 PM
You could decree that the character now has a "sixth sense" about important things as a blessing from his god. Nothing major, since he's not fully embracing the whole Blind Seer thing. This is mostly a convenient means to feed the character whatever plot details and exposition you want to.

That list seems excessive to me, though, except for in the decidedly short term. I'd trim it down to -2 Circumstance penalties to Spot and ranged attacks. (Some of those things don't even seem to be listed as penalized by blindness, which makes specifying a penalty for a missing eye downright bizarre.)

Joe the Rat
2013-04-22, 01:18 PM
Okay, modifiers for spot checks, ranged attacks, and reflex saves (from the left side) I can see, but Decipher script? Is Draconic written in near-focus stereograms or something? Appraise? Forgery? Somehow all those fine detailed, probably staring at it with one eye through a jeweler's lens in the first place checks are negatively affected by not having an eye you aren't using at the moment?

No, I think that ruling they're trying too hard to make it a problem. You aren't half-blind, you're monocular. No stereo vision, and most of your off field is occluded by that stupid nose. Close one eye and think about it a while.

Give 'em a ranged attack penalty, and a reflex save penalty. You're having trouble judging mid-range speed and distance. Unless you're using facing, there's no point in worrying about not seeing things on the left. If you are using facing, then the left side is a flank. Throw on a Spot penalty if you like. Everything else the character will learn to accommodate for.

dascarletm
2013-04-22, 02:08 PM
^ Exactly. Human eyes are directed toward the front, so you don't lose much range of vision, just depth, and that is compensated for by moving as well. If they were a species with eyes on the side (Like birds) then they would be half-blind.