PDA

View Full Version : Cloak of the Manta Ray Confusion

AugustNights
2013-04-29, 12:33 AM
Cloak of the Manta Ray (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#cloakoftheMantaRay) Minor Wondrous Item.

This cloak appears to be made of leather until the wearer enters salt water. At that time the cloak of the manta ray adheres to the individual, and he appears nearly identical to a manta ray (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mantaRay.htm) (as the polymorph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorph.htm) spell, except that it allows only manta ray form). He gains a +3 natural armor bonus, the ability to breathe underwater, and a swim speed of 60 feet, like a real manta ray.

Although the cloak does not enable the wearer to bite opponents as a manta ray does, it does have a tail spine that can be used to strike at opponents behind the wearer, dealing 1d6 points of damage. This attack can be used in addition to any other attack the character has, using his highest melee attack bonus. The wearer can release his arms from the cloak without sacrificing underwater movement if so desired.

Moderate transmutation; CL 9th; Craft Wondrous Item, polymorph, water breathing; Price 7,200 gp; Weight 1 lb.

So... I'm struggling to understand what precisely this minor Wondrous Item does.

Near as I can tell, it polymorphs the wearer into a Manta Ray (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mantaRay.htm) when they are submerged in salt-water, with all the provisions of the polymorph spell. However, there are a few stipulations after the polymorph description.

0) The cloak adheres to the character
Unclear. Can the character not take off the cloak? Does this text matter? Does it mean anything?

1) The character gains +3 natural armor bonus.
I assume this is superfluous information, as that Manta Rays already gain +3 natural armor bonus.

2) The character gains the ability to breath underwater.
Again superfluous, the polymorph effect grants the aquatic subtype, which allows for water breathing.

3) The character gains a swim speed of 60 feet.
Awesome. This is a much better swim speed than what the polymorph spell would provide when turning into a Manta Ray (30 ft swim speed).

4) The character is not enabled to bite opponents as a manta ray does.
There seems to be absolutely no rules as to how a manta ray bites enemies, so I'm assuming, that a manta ray bites a creature like any other creature without a bite attack does. Thus while in Manta Ray form with this cloak the character cannot make attacks using the improvised weapon of their own mouth.
This may be expanded to say that the character could not use their mouth to deliver unarmed attacks.
Alternatively, going with a more RAI approach, one may assume, that the intention was to remove the Ram natural attack of the Manta Ray.

5) The character does have a tail spine that can be used to strike at opponents behind the wearer, dealing 1d6 points of damage. This attack can be used in addition to any other attack the character has, using his highest melee attack bonus.
This rather confuses me. Since no where does this actually say "Natural Attack," I'm assuming that RAW it is in fact not a natural attack, but a special attack granted by the cloak. Since D&D has no facing rules, I am not sure what qualifies for "behind the wearer."

Would it be safe to assume, that this is either a) a Sting natural attack that deals 1d6 base damage, or b) a special attack granted by the cloak that only does 1d6 damage unmodified by Strength?

6) The wearer can release his arms from the cloak without sacrificing underwater movement if so desired.
What... does this even mean? Does this allow the character to have their normal arms while polymorphed into a Manta Ray from this cloak? Can they use those arms to make attacks with manufactured weapons, with unarmed attacks, to manipulate locks, to attack with claw weapons? Would they be able to complete somatic components?

And now for the thing that really confuses me... what isn't stipulated.
No where does it say the duration of the polymorph effect.

Assuming it's exactly as the polymorph spell, I'm guessing it lasts 9 minutes (based on the duration of the polymorph spell and the CL 9 required to make the item, which could be increased ((along with price)) by using a higher CL). After which, the cloak would then either be ineffective for the rest of the day (though I would imagine it would need to stipulate so) or, if the character was still in water, the conditions for the cloak would be met again, and the character would again transfrom into the Manta Ray form.
Since Polymorph is dismissable, I'm also guessing that the character can stop being in Manta Ray form at any time they desire?

If anyone could help me clear this up, I'd be quite grateful.

Kaerou
2013-04-29, 12:43 AM
In all honesty this item has confused me to a great extent too, to the extent where when I randomly rolled it up for player loot a few years ago when running an adventure I just had it confer polymorph to Manta Ray at will when worn. It wasn't worth the headache trying to suss it all out.

As far as I can tell its a 'semi-polymorph' via the cloak adhering to and wrapping around the player. Kind of like an organic suit with most of the abilities.

Rhynn
2013-04-29, 01:00 AM
This is a case of copy-pasting and horrible editing.

The 3.5 version:

Cloak of the Manta Ray: This cloak appears to be made of leather until the wearer enters salt water. At that time the cloak of the manta ray adheres to the individual, and he appears nearly identical to a manta ray (as the polymorph spell, except that it allows only manta ray form). He gains a +3 natural armor bonus, the ability to breathe underwater, and a swim speed of 60 feet, like a real manta ray.

Although the cloak does not enable the wearer to bite opponents as a manta ray does, it does have a tail spine that can be used to strike at opponents behind the wearer, dealing 1d6 points of damage. This attack can be used in addition to any other attack the character has, using his highest melee attack bonus. The wearer can release his arms from the cloak without sacrificing underwater movement if so desired.

Moderate transmutation; CL 9th; Craft Wondrous Item, polymorph, water breathing; Price 7,200 gp; Weight 1 lb.

And the AD&D 2E version:

Cloak of the Manta Ray: This coak appears to be made of leather until the wearer enters salt water. At that time the cloak of the manta ray adheres to the individual, and he appears nearly identical to a manta-ray — there is only a 10% chance that someone seeing the wearer will know he isn't a manta ray.

The wearer can breathe underwater and has a movement rate of 18, like a manta ray (see the Monstrous Manual). The wearer also has an Armor Class of at least six, that of a manta ray. Other magical protections or magical armor can improve that armor value.

Although the cloak does not enable the wearer to bite opponents as a manta ray does, the garment has a tail spine which can be used to strike at opponents behind him. The spine inflicts 1d6 points of damage, but there is no chance of stunning. This attack can be used in addition to other sorts, for the wearer can release his arms from the cloak without sacrificing underwater movement if so desired.

Underlined the parts that are identically reproduced in the 3.5 version. And yes, AD&D 2E manta rays have a bite attack and a sting attack (their sting deals 3d4 damage, though). Basically, it's a horrible conversion job and bad editing.

I see two obvious ways to go with this:
1. The cloak polymorphs you into a manta ray while worn. Just use the manta ray's stats. Simple.
2. The cloak does not polymorph you at all, although it is a polymorph effect. You only get the listed bonuses: +3 natural armor, a swim speed of 60, the ability to breathe underwater, and a natural attack (it is, indeed, a natural attack; that's a type of attack, not a comment on how non-magical it is). No other ability is affected (including land speed, spellcasting, making attacks, etc.). And I guess you can Disguise yourself as a manta ray as if using alter self or polymorph (+10 to check). This is probably the one I'd go with, although really, manta rays are sucky enough that being polymorphed into one at will with no duration isn't really OP for 7,200 gp.

Also, I read the title as "Cloak of Manta Ray Confusion", which would be the best magic item ever.

AugustNights
2013-04-29, 02:57 AM
Also, I read the title as "Cloak of Manta Ray Confusion", which would be the best magic item ever.

Adding it to my silly magical items list.

Thanks for the input!

TuggyNE
2013-04-29, 03:45 AM

Almost, but not quite. The very best would be "Spider-Hating (http://rustyandco.com/extras/magicitemgenerator/) Cloak of Manta Ray Confusion". :smallbiggrin: (Note: Peanuts are not nuts.)