PDA

View Full Version : [PF] DM making custom spells for a reward.

gr8artist
2013-04-29, 03:17 AM
So, I'm going to run my players through a game where they're helping a wizard with research for a new spell. They're going to be tricked into thinking he's a good guy, but really he's not. *shocker*
Anyway, the quest will consist of three steps, three mini-objectives to take out rival wizards and retrieve some experimental new spell scrolls. (Such spells will be things like enlarged fireball, a normal spell with the benefits of a metamagic built in.)
The players are then asked to bring the scrolls back to the evil wizard after each mini-quest. But prior to bringing back the third, the players will be informed of his deceit and provided an option: bring back a forgery.
If they accept, and bring back at least one forgery spell, then the result the wizard makes will be different from the spell he would have made from all 3 actual experimental spells.
Anyway, that's the background for these reward spells. Because of the questing involved, the spells are a little more powerful than spells of equal level... I think. I would appreciate feedback, let me know what you think of these... I want them to be strong, but not game-breaking, since we're in a round-robin campaign and I'm not always the DM.
Also, do you think spells like this are a good reward for players? Our campaign allows nearly infinite access to magical crafting and custom items... I wanted to spruce things up a little.

Black Hole (at least 1 forgery)
School Conjuration; Level sorcerer/wizard 4
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S, M (a potion of mage hand worth 25 gold)
Range medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area 20-ft.-radius spread centered around a tiny rift
Duration Concentration +1 round, up to 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: none; Spell Resistance no
This spell causes a rift to open between the material and ethereal planes, pulling everything in the target area inward, before holding it in place and crushing it.
Every creature within the area of the spell is the target of a drag combat maneuver check each round at the end of your turn, including the round that black hole was cast. Creatures that enter the area of effect are immediately subjected to this check. When determining the rift’s CMB, the rift uses your caster level as its base attack bonus, has an initial strength score of 18, and is treated as medium sized. The rift’s strength score increases by +1 after every round of concentration, to a maximum of 30 after 12 rounds. Roll only once for the entire spell effect each round and apply the result to all creatures in the area. Every object in the area is subject to this effect as well; use the lifting and dragging rules from pages 169-170 to determine the whether an object is moved or not.
If the spell succeeds in pulling a creature or object adjacent to the effect’s point of origin, that subject takes 1d6 points of damage plus the rift’s current strength modifier and becomes grappled. The rift may grapple any number of creatures simultaneously, but may only grapple creatures adjacent to the point of origin. Make only one check each round for all combat maneuvers, but treat this result as 5 higher for the purposes of maintaining grapple checks against the rift’s victims. Each round that black hole succeeds on a grapple check, it deals 1d6 damage plus the rift’s current strength modifier. The CMD of black hole, for the purposes of escaping the grapple, is equal to 10 + its CMB.
The rift created by black hole cannot be damaged, but it can be dispelled as normal. The entire area of effect is considered difficult terrain whie the rift lasts. Immovable objects or objects too heavy to be moved by this spell take 1d6 points of damage + the rift’s current strength modifier every round. Any creature creature killed by this spell, as well as any object reduced to 0 hit points, is reduced to dust and transported to the ethereal plane.
Conflagration (return all three experimental scrolls)
School Evocation [fire]; Level sorceror/wizard 4
Components V, S, M (an oil of spark worth 25 gold)
Range medium (100 ft. +10 ft./level)
Area cylinder (20 ft. radius, 40 ft. high)
Duration concentration +1 round, up to 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Reflex half, see text; Spell Resistance yes
This spell causes a fiery explosion, which then turns into a twisting column of opaque flames that persists and deals damage over time.
When you cast this spell, the air in the area of effect immediately combusts, dealing 1d6 points of fire damage per two caster levels you possess (maximum 10d6) to every creature and unattended flammable object in the area. A successful reflex save halves this damage. This explosion creates almost no pressure, but a very loud roar. This spell sets fire to combustibles and can melt metals with low melting points, such as lead, gold, copper, silver, and bronze.
The fire continues to burn after the initial explosion, dealing 3d6 points of fire damage to every creature and unattended object in the area every round at the end of your turn, starting with the round after you cast this spell. This damage increases by 1d6 on the second round of concentration, and every two rounds of concentration afterward, to a maximum of 10d6 after 14 rounds. Opponents entering the area of effect take this damage immediately, and don’t receive a save. Opponents who receive damage from this spell after the initial round are caught on fire, and take an additional 1d6 points of fire damage every round until the fire is extinguished. The DC to extinguish these flames is equal to the DC of this spell.
The entire area of effect is considered difficult terrain while the fire burns, and the fire obscures all vision past 10’ and provides concealment to creatures inside it.

BWR
2013-04-29, 03:41 AM
At a quick glance, they do not look overpowered. The most important thing to remember is if you are concentrating, you aren't doing anything else. Are these spells really useful enough that the caster should choose to spend his standard action maintaing it rather than casting another spell?

Compare Black Hole to Evard's. Both are basically battlefield control, yet Evard's does not require concentration to maintain and has a much better initial CMB. waiting several rounds for the hole to reach that level of potency is suboptimal.

Conflagration is underpowered, imo. Better area than fireball, but not that much, worse damage and its secondary damage takes far too long build to useful levels, and unless targets are hindered from moving, they are just going to move out of the area, making it a very expensive and lousy fireball.
I suggest making it 1d6/lvl (max 10d6), and dealing half damage each successive round, as well as the catch on fire bit. Perhaps even a note that creatures who spend their entire turn in the area get no save against the secondary damage.

OzymandiasX
2013-04-29, 09:54 AM
In the right situation (as with any good spell use), those two spells are very good! One thing that BWR may not have considered is that, if concentrating, these spells can do massive damage/round with only a single casting of the spell. This allows for these spells to be super potent:

-Throw down an Evard's Black Tentacles and then either one of these spells and BLAM any group of foes is now stuck (or double-stuck) and taking massive damage every round. Or consider stacking these with any other spell that has its own duration.

-Preemptively use this to block a group of foe's escape or entrance into the room. If your melee guys have a group of foes held at a bottleneck, a single cast of either of these spells can make a huge difference.. and as you've only cast one spell you still have plenty in reserve.

unless targets are hindered from moving, they are just going to move out of the area, making it a very expensive and lousy fireball.If you'd use this as a Fireball replacement, you're doing it wrong. lol What makes these spells powerful is when targets ARE hindered from moving... (either by terrain, by your melee members, or by other spell effects, which can stack with these)

I think that for a single campaign, these spells are good. Used wisely, these spells are more powerful than PHB spells of that level.

Keneth
2013-04-29, 10:53 AM
The spells look ok, but I think black hole should be "Spell Resistance yes". Black hole also looks like a whole lot of work if there's a lot of creatures caught inside the area, but that's not really so uncommon with CC spells.

Anyway, conflagration gave me a lovely idea for a similar spell. I guess I know what my character will be designing next. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Also, what's the point of the spells being dismissible? It's a standard action to dismiss a spell, and if you use it to dismiss the thing rather than concentrate on it, it's gonna dissipate by the start of next round anyway.

OzymandiasX
2013-04-29, 11:09 AM
Edit: Also, what's the point of the spells being dismissible? It's a standard action to dismiss a spell, and if you use it to dismiss the thing rather than concentrate on it, it's gonna dissipate by the start of next round anyway.If someone is about to throw a bunch of babies into it maybe? lol

Keneth
2013-04-29, 11:25 AM
I can totally imagine that scenario.

Evil Guy: Your reckless display of power shall have a steep price today, mageling! *attempts to throw an undisclosed number of babies in the fiery pillar*
You: NOOOOOOOOOOO!! *hero point => standard action (dismiss spell)*
Babies: *bounce "harmlessly" off the ground*
Evil Guy: Damn you, sorcerer! This is not over!! *gets a faceful of the fighter's greathammer*

OzymandiasX
2013-04-29, 11:50 AM
Evil Guy: Your reckless display of power shall have a steep price today, mageling! *attempts to throw an undisclosed number of babies in the fiery pillar*This is cracking me up! Even better than what I had envisioned! rofl

Dekion
2013-04-29, 12:42 PM
Wow, Keneth, that was entirely too amusing, and became funnier the more I thought about it.

Keneth
2013-04-29, 01:36 PM
Indeed. Plus, for some reason, the villain in my head looks a lot like Snidely Whiplash. Top hat and all.

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/7809/snidelywhiplash.png

Slipperychicken
2013-04-29, 01:47 PM
Babies: *bounce "harmlessly" off the ground*

DM: *rolls falling damage* :smallbiggrin:

Players: :smallfrown:

DM: :smalleek:

[time passes, awkward silence]

gr8artist
2013-05-19, 09:52 AM
Had another idea for a spell, wasn't sure if I'd mentioned it before, and figured I'd dump it here instead of making a new thread.

Tempus Fugit
School transmutation; Level sorcerer/wizard 5
Components V, S, M (a bronze-plated feather)
Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets one creature/level
Duration 1 round/level
Saving Throw Will negates, see text; Spell Resistance yes, see text
Upon casting this spell, you rob your foes of their speed while lending it to your allies, turning the tide of battle instantly. At the time of casting, you choose which of the targets will be slowed and which will be quickened. Targets to be quickened may choose to refuse this spell with a successful will save or spell resistance, although this spell is harmless to them. Targets to be slowed are allowed a will save and spell resistance to resist.
Allies you choose to quicken are affected as if by the haste spell, giving them the normal attack, save, and AC bonuses, as well as increased movement speed and extra attacks. This effect is not cumulative with haste or similar effects.
Enemies you choose to slow are affected as if by the slow spell, causing them to become staggered for the duration of the spell, as well as reducing their movement speed ant attack, save, and AC bonuses. This effect is not cumulative with slow or similar effects.
Haste dispels the slow effect from your enemies, and slow removes the benefit from your allies. Neither haste nor slow will counter this spell.