PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Modifying Spiritual Weapon

Certified
2013-04-29, 06:57 AM
First, the facts:

Spiritual Weapon (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/spiritualWeapon.html)

FAQ (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9oag)

Now, the question, given the Errata what Feats, if any, or class abilities can be used to enhance Spiritual Weapon? For Instance say a 6th Level Cleric wished to switch to fighter, is there a Weapon Group they could apply to Spiritual Weapon.

The FAQ seems to imply Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization are valid choices. Any other options?

BWR
2013-04-29, 08:05 AM
It's a spell, not a weapon. It says so in the description. I don't see any reason it should be subject to weapons rules. I would not allow it to be part of a Fighter's weapon categories.

You can use Weapon Focus/Specialization for rays. Spiritual Weapon is not a category of weapons, so by RAW I would not allow it. However, I cannot see that it is in any way broken or unbalancing to allow it, so a house rule to the effect would probably be allowed in my games

You have this (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8s4b?Bullet-Points-6-Spiritual-Weapon-Feats) if you are interested.

Keneth
2013-04-29, 10:14 AM
Spiritual weapon is a weapon-like spell in the shape of your deity's favored weapon. Any effects that apply to that kind of weapon, also apply to spiritual weapon, including feats and fighter weapon training.

Karoht
2013-04-29, 12:48 PM
Toppling Spell. +1 Meta Magic. Each time the weapon deals Force damage, it can knock the opponent prone.
Toppling Spell + Spiritual Weapon + Spirtual Ally + Twilight Knife + Mages Sword = Lots of force damage, all of it tries to knock the opponent on it's butt. And almost none of it costing you action economy other than casting it. Enjoy.

As for something like Weapon Focus/Weapon Specialization, I would allow it to apply, so long as it was the correct type. IE-If Spiritual Weapon is a hammer, and you have Weapon Focus (hammer) it is allowed to apply to the hit roll.

BWR
2013-04-29, 03:37 PM
Spiritual weapon is a weapon-like spell in the shape of your deity's favored weapon. Any effects that apply to that kind of weapon, also apply to spiritual weapon, including feats and fighter weapon training.

Wrong. It is as you say weapon-like, but not a weapon. Daggers don't do 1d8 damage, neither to greatswords. You do not wield the spell yourself, it's part of the spell. If the spell looked differently, just a giant frying pan of force for instance, it would still act in the same manner. You can't Weapon Finesse it, or Weapon Focus it, or Combat Expertise it, fight defensively with it, make attacks of opportunity with it or any number of other things. It functions precisely as described in the spell description.

Karoht
2013-04-29, 04:03 PM
I disagree from aesthetics/fluff point of view, not a rules point of view.

Spiritual Weapon derives it's attack bonus from the casters Wisdom. Their knowledge and experience with that form of attack. I would consider anything that involves one's capacity to wield would translate, but I am completely speaking from a lienient DM position here. Rules do not support my opinion in the slightest.

Keneth
2013-04-29, 04:28 PM
Wrong. It is as you say weapon-like, but not a weapon. Daggers don't do 1d8 damage, neither to greatswords. You do not wield the spell yourself, it's part of the spell.

That's inconsequential. Weapon-like spells, by RAW, act as if you were wielding a weapon. If it's shaped like a sword, you get all bonuses that apply to swords.

Karoht
2013-04-29, 04:47 PM
That's inconsequential. Weapon-like spells, by RAW, act as if you were wielding a weapon. If it's shaped like a sword, you get all bonuses that apply to swords.
Interesting.
Opinions then, on spells like Flame Blade?
http://www.pathfindersrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/flame-blade

A 3-foot-long, blazing beam of red-hot fire springs forth from your hand. You wield this blade-like beam as if it were a scimitar.

Thoughts?

Keneth
2013-04-29, 04:51 PM
Thoughts on what? It says right there: You wield the blade as if it were a scimitar. All effects that apply to scimitars also apply to flame blade.

TuggyNE
2013-04-29, 11:23 PM
Your feats or combat actions do not affect the weapon.

End of story.

(By strict RAW it would seem metamagic can't affect the spell either, which seems stupid, but there it is.)

Keneth
2013-04-30, 02:05 AM
I was tired as hell yesterday and didn't even bother reading the spell. For some reason I was convinced that you wield the weapon in your hand, like flame blade. Don't know why, I was probably thinking of some computer game implementation. Anyway yeah, since feats don't affect it, no focus or power attack or anything of the like applies. General effects that affect weapon attack and damage (like inspire courage) should still apply however.

And metamagic feats can affect the spell normally since they modify the spell and its results are besides the point. Toppling Spell is kind of a gray area though. I'd say it affects the creation process, not the weapon itself, but there are arguments against it.