PDA

View Full Version : d20 Runic -- A Heroic Skill based d20

Yakk
2006-11-23, 04:21 PM
I've been playing some Runic recently, and like some of the system. But it has some issues.

So I thought "how much Runic can I steal and put into d20"? I like the Heroic feel of d20, but some of the features of Runic are rather nice.

Not all of the above is from Runic and d20. :) The wound system exists in order to make healing magic less required.

First, use the:
d20 + Attack to hit
d20 + Defence to defend
Rule for combat and spells and skill checks.

Second, break HP up into "HP" and "WP". HP are hard to recover (requires rest), WP recover between each "scene" and can be healed in-combat with spells.

Player HP determined by CON, and LEVEL to a lesser extent.
Player WP (wound points) determined by CLASS and LEVEL and ARMOR and CON.
(it is only a flesh wound!)

When hit, armor REDUCES the damage.

Then 1/10 the damage, rounded up, is delt to HP, the rest to WP.
(ie, every hit does 1 HP. 11+ damage hits do 2 HP. 21+ damage hits do 3 HP. Etc.)

Overflow on WP damages HP. (so if you have 6 WP left, and you take 10 damage, you take 6 WP and 4 HP).

Magical healing only heals WP. This deals with the "cleric is a HP battery" sillyness nicely.

WP is recovered between encounters. In some cases, only half of your WP is recovered (ie, there is only a short break between fights).

(WP is, game-mechanics wise, the ability to take less damage than you would of through combat skills and rolling with blows. Call it "combat luck" if you want.)

All L 0 characters have HP equal to their CON. As you gain levels, you get more HP. (alternative: HP equal to 10 + con bonus).

L 0 characters have no WP. WP is something heros and people trained in combat get. "Monsters" and NPCs trained in combat (NPC classes) may or may not have WP -- I am not certain yet.

HP and WP progression:

HP/WP chart
{table=head]Level|d4|d6|d8|d10|d12

1st|
0/2|
1/2|
1/3|
2/3|
2/4

2nd|
1/4|
2/5|
3/6|
4/7|
5/8

3rd|
1/6|
3/7|
5/9|
6/10|
7/12

4th|
2/8|
4/10|
6/12|
8/14|
10/16

5th|
2/10|
5/12|
7/15|
10/17|
12/20

6th|
3/12|
6/15|
9/18|
12/21|
15/24

7th|
3/14|
7/17|
10/21|
14/24|
18/28

8th|
4/16|
8/20|
12/24|
16/28|
20/32

9th|
4/18|
9/22|
13/27|
18/31|
22/36

10th|
5/20|
10/25|
15/30|
20/35|
25/40[/table]

etc...

CON modifiers apply to WP.

This generally gives characters about 10 more (HP+WP) than they had HP before.

So, for a given fight, one's HP is about the same. It is harder to heal to full between fights, and having a Divine Healing Battery matters less.

Skills:
I want skills for each weapon type.

Class skill caps should go up 2 per level
Cross-class skill caps should go up 1 per level
Narrow skills should go up 1 per 2 levels

No more "extra 3 or 1.5 points".

The skill cap for a L 5 rogue L 5 fighter is the sum of the caps for each class.

Combat:
Players have a Dodge and Parry skill.

You can Parry once with each weapon, and Dodge twice. Every Parry/Dodge after that suffers a -5 cumulative penalty.

Failing to Dodge simply means you don't get to add your Dodge skill -- you still get to roll your d20.

Armor:
Armor has more attributes than AC, Arcane Spell, Armor Check and Weight.

Damage Reduction (a random roll that reduces incoming damage)
Wound Points (armor adds to your Wound Points)
Soak Bonus (adds to the chance of attacks missing you)

Dodge Penalty (armor makes it hard to dodge)
Attack/Parry Penalty (it is harder to attack in plate than it is naked)
Armor Check Penalty (for other skills)

Arcane Spell Failure
Weight

Armor gets in the way of attacking and parrying, but it reduces damage when you are hit, makes more damage into flesh wounds, and gives you some passive defence. The last is quite useful when being shot at by 100 L 1 archers.

Shields grant a Parry bonus with the shield, and some passive defence. They cost Dodge and some Attack/Parry with the main hand. Larger shields can Parry more than once per round, but cripple the main hand more. Shields can also Parry ranged weapons.

How does it look so far?