PDA

View Full Version : PF Pirate Campaign Class Recommendation...

Xander96
2013-04-29, 08:37 AM
So in the near future, I will be participating in a pirate campaign. I'm trying to figure out what would be the best class that would be of the most benefit to everyone.

My initial thought was to play an archer ranger. It's still on the table.

My list of options are this as of right now; Hobgoblin Archer Ranger, Undine Druid Adept, or the class that I've been reading about that seems to have had a high success rate in pirate campaigns, the Master Summoner.

I was reading up on Saph's guide on summoners. From what I gather of what he had said in that guide for a race to choose for a summoner in an aquatic campaign are of these choices; half elf/gillman/ifrit, fletching.

And out of those choices either the Riverfolk Gillman or the half elf are the prime choices. Riverfolk Gillman for obvious reasons and the half elf to qualify for the eldritch heritage feat.

Also, from what I've been reading about Master Summoners in an aquatic campaign that the general census in what people do that is effective is their eidelon is a skill monkey instead of having an eidelon made for destruction. Instead, they use their summons to do that.

So I open up the discussion for everyone else to please give me good feedback so that I can make a concrete decision going forward. I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Amaril
2013-04-29, 09:44 AM
Assuming this is low-magic like many pirate campaigns in my experience, I'd go with the ranger--a lightly-armored, agile warrior class is perfect for fighting at sea, and they're not so reliant on their spells that they need to make constant use of them to be effective.

Deepbluediver
2013-04-29, 09:48 AM
I have no idea how it stacks up in terms of combat, because I've never played one (it was always deemed to not fit the setting) but if you are going to play a ranged combatant anyway, what about a Gunslinger?

Edit: I take it back, I have played one, once, but it wasn't a very serious game. Our group was more in in for the RP than the crunch. The DM kept throwing love interests at me which I definitely did not want and rapidly tried to dispose of, until I probably had about the same level of Karma as this guy:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090517110619/afrosamurai/images/2/23/Justice.jpg

:P

Firest Kathon
2013-04-29, 10:01 AM
If you want to play a lightly armored archer, you should also have a look at the Zen Archer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/zen-archer) monk archetype and the corresponding guide (http://kcmorris.hubpages.com/hub/A-Guide-to-the-Zen-Archer-Monk-Pathfinder). If I'm not mistaken it can be combined with the often recommended Qinggong (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/qinggong-monk) archetype, and at least ability-wise it can be easily combined with a Ranger or Druid if you are set on the skills or magic of either.

Xander96
2013-04-29, 10:12 AM
Definitely solid suggestions. I'm not too particularly fond of playing a monk character, especially if we are playing in a pirate based campaign. Lawful & pirates mix like oil & water.

I thought about playing a gunslinger, but the fact that you have to constantly have to pay gold for more ammo all the time is unappealing. Also, not to mention there are probably going to be 2-3 gunslingers in my group.

Slipperychicken
2013-04-29, 03:50 PM
Small sized (Goblin/Halfling) archer ranger, with a Roc mount. You can take a full attack while your mount moves up to his speed, and you don't even need a feat for it. Have the mount take whichever archetype makes it immune to fatigue, you may need it if your ship goes down.

Be air support, burning enemy sails, setting their ship on fire before they get into normal engagement range.

Deepbluediver
2013-04-29, 03:58 PM
Definitely solid suggestions. I'm not too particularly fond of playing a monk character, especially if we are playing in a pirate based campaign. Lawful & pirates mix like oil & water.

I thought about playing a gunslinger, but the fact that you have to constantly have to pay gold for more ammo all the time is unappealing. Also, not to mention there are probably going to be 2-3 gunslingers in my group.

I admit (again) I'm not an expert with gunslingers, but how is paying for bullets different from buying or crafting ammunition as an archer?

Also, if your party already HAS multiple ranged combatants, then you might want to skip the ranger and look for something else entirely.

nyarlathotep
2013-04-29, 04:35 PM
Witch works well as the crew's support staff and sort of spiritual guide. Specifically with water lung, and if the crew is sufficiently evil cook people.

Doorhandle
2013-05-01, 07:14 PM
I admit (again) I'm not an expert with gunslingers, but how is paying for bullets different from buying or crafting ammunition as an archer?

Also, if your party already HAS multiple ranged combatants, then you might want to skip the ranger and look for something else entirely.

Well, bullets aren't commonly available, and so you likely have to craft them yourself, plus they are a lot more expensive, being around 1gold/shot as opposed to 1 gold/20 shots.

Could still be fun though, partially if you're a mysterious stranger and can do the entire "wanderer with no name" thing.

I figure basically all sea-based archetypes could have a good time of it.

Siege mage could be quite useful; Pirate ships DO have a lot of cannons. Would take a bit before it comes into it's own though, and you do have crew to load them.

Also, Go to PFsrd and look up what spells cause fires on ships, and what don't, so that you can choose wether or not to preserve a boat.

Druids become better and better pirates as they go up in level. From third level they can use warp-wood to hole ships. Wild shape then arrives and they can get in and around boats very easily. Finally, control weather and it's Ilk appears and you can control the very travel of the ships you oppose.
The sea archetype would obviously work best, but any one will do.

cellingwood
2013-05-03, 10:53 AM
I would strongly advise against any sort of archer. It seems like every time I get on a ship, some giant storm blows in. How good do you think your aim will be when it's A) dark B) has gale force winds and C) is pouring rain? If your GM does something other than laugh every time you try to fire your bow, then they must surely be merciful.

Further advice would be dependent on what type of pirate campaign you are playing.
Is it light hearted like the "Pirates of the Carribean" movies? Consider a Bard or Rogue.
Are your pirates vikings? Consider a Barbarian or a Bard Savage Skald or Sea Singer.

Whatever you will be playing, it's hard to go wrong with the versatility of a magic user.
Whatever you will be playing, it's easy to go wrong with a Gunslinger. Gunpowder and wet environments are just asking for trouble from the GM.

Scow2
2013-05-03, 11:03 AM
Be a druid. The seas and sky are yours to command. Go all Calypso on them. (Maybe take the Storm or Tempest Druid archetype if you don't want to bother with keeping track of an animal companion)

Xander96
2013-05-03, 11:05 AM
Great great points! Thank for providing them. Definitely things that were in the back of my mind that were confirmed by what you said. Thank you again!