PDA

View Full Version : Lots of things to ask :)

killem2
2013-04-29, 08:55 AM
Since the site was down, I didn't realize how much I actually use it haha. I got a lot of questions.

1. How would you RP a character with a Charisma of 3, Int of 13, Wisdom of 15, Goliath Barbarian 1/Dungeon Crasher 3. He's got a few flaws.

- Drunkard (he actually must spend money equal to his con modifier.
- Aggressive (not the ua version), I rush into battle, I rarely think about what I'm doing.
- Macho (exactly as the word implies)

2. When you break a wall according to the break DC, how much of the wall do you break with each successful attempt?

3. When you have spiderclimbing slippers, and a reach long enough to strike downward as you are upside down, and you have the knockback feat, can you bullrush them into the ground at that point?

4. With the Dragon Magazine flaw Eldritch Claws (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Eldritch_Claws), we have a warlock/fighter gestalt character in question here. Do they get to attack with both claws at full attack bonus, or is it treated as two weapon fighting here?

That's all, glad we're back :D.

Xerxus
2013-04-29, 08:58 AM
He is completely incapable of saying the right thing for a situation. He stutters, has aphasia and lisps.

killem2
2013-04-29, 09:10 AM
He is completely incapable of saying the right thing for a situation. He stutters, has aphasia and lisps.

OOoo, I didn't think of those. I asked on some other forums during the down time and got some really good suggestions and this could be fun.

How about the others? Any thoughts? :smallbiggrin:

supermonkeyjoe
2013-04-29, 09:29 AM
Maybe he says on average 3 words per day, he observes and listens but when it comes to replying all he gives are half-hearted shrugs and grunts, only actually speaking intelligently when he really has to, he's perfectly capable of forming coherent sentences, he just doesn't.

Gwendol
2013-04-29, 09:48 AM
With a CHA of three, he practically has no personality. He's very close to being an automaton, rarely interacting in a meaningful way with others.

OzymandiasX
2013-04-29, 10:56 AM
With a CHA of three, he practically has no personality. He's very close to being an automaton, rarely interacting in a meaningful way with others.Another way which tiptoes the line between fun and annoying, is to play him as a super-****, especially since he has good Wis and Int.

NPCs might just think he is unfortunate-looking until he opens his mouth (like he always does) and just irritates them further. He talks down to people (like insulting a barmaid even though she is the only one working an overcrowded tavern), is always impatient ("Look, we don't want to hear about the macaroni-art Little Johnny made for you, we just want to look around the house for clues as to who killed him"), and lacks all tact (to get information he tries to intimidate the bartender who probably would have been helpful anyways). He is quick on the I-told-you-so and slow on the apologies. And when he offends people he just brushes it off by calling them overly-sensitive. (You probably know people who do this, just multiply that by 10)

However you want to play it, remember that any score of 3 should be a HUGE crutch if you want to roleplay it properly. To have a score that low you need to be in the least likable 0.5% of the population. :)

(Of course, if you're playing a munchkin game, you can just say he is really ugly and leave it at that. lol)

Keld Denar
2013-04-29, 11:15 AM
2. A 5' section. Break DCs are based on thickness and hardness already. If you break the wall, you break the whole section of wall, regardless of how thick. The thickness increases the DC, however, so particularly thick walls will be extremely hard to break even with massive Kool-Aide Man Powahz.

3. If away from you is straight down, then yes. Be sure you read the rules for Spider Climb though.

4. The claws are explicitly natural attacks, and follow the rules for such. As natural attacks, they are probably primary (unless he also wields a manufactured weapon like armor spikes). Thus, he would attack with both of them at his full BAB + Str bonus, including any misc bonuses to hit. He would ONLY ever get 2 hits with them, however, regardless of BAB, because that's how natural weapons work.

So yea, he gets 2 hits at his highest BAB with no penalties, but he only ever gets 2 hits. He never gets iterative attacks with those weapons.

killem2
2013-04-29, 11:57 AM
2. A 5' section. Break DCs are based on thickness and hardness already. If you break the wall, you break the whole section of wall, regardless of how thick. The thickness increases the DC, however, so particularly thick walls will be extremely hard to break even with massive Kool-Aide Man Powahz.

Do you know where I can find that it is exactly 5'? Is that an assumed figure? I honestly cannot find anything anywhere referencing the amount of wall. 5'ft makes sense, perhaps do we treat it like burrowing? If you were a large creature its 10'ft? huge its, 15?

3. If away from you is straight down, then yes. Be sure you read the rules for Spider Climb though.

Of course :), It does put a hamper on charging I think, but otherwise I can always take them off if I don't need the, hehe. (if in high chapel or something)

4. The claws are explicitly natural attacks, and follow the rules for such. As natural attacks, they are probably primary (unless he also wields a manufactured weapon like armor spikes). Thus, he would attack with both of them at his full BAB + Str bonus, including any misc bonuses to hit. He would ONLY ever get 2 hits with them, however, regardless of BAB, because that's how natural weapons work.

So yea, he gets 2 hits at his highest BAB with no penalties, but he only ever gets 2 hits. He never gets iterative attacks with those weapons.

And as far as normal unarmed strikes?

Can she take her two claws, then if she's got high enough BAB to attack with any other weapons can she?

Another way which tiptoes the line between fun and annoying, is to play him as a super-****, especially since he has good Wis and Int.

NPCs might just think he is unfortunate-looking until he opens his mouth (like he always does) and just irritates them further. He talks down to people (like insulting a barmaid even though she is the only one working an overcrowded tavern), is always impatient ("Look, we don't want to hear about the macaroni-art Little Johnny made for you, we just want to look around the house for clues as to who killed him"), and lacks all tact (to get information he tries to intimidate the bartender who probably would have been helpful anyways). He is quick on the I-told-you-so and slow on the apologies. And when he offends people he just brushes it off by calling them overly-sensitive. (You probably know people who do this, just multiply that by 10)

However you want to play it, remember that any score of 3 should be a HUGE crutch if you want to roleplay it properly. To have a score that low you need to be in the least likable 0.5% of the population. :)

(Of course, if you're playing a munchkin game, you can just say he is really ugly and leave it at that. lol)

Its not quite a munckin game :P, we love the RP side of the game very much or at least I do :D.

With a CHA of three, he practically has no personality. He's very close to being an automaton, rarely interacting in a meaningful way with others.

True, I could mix this is, maybe when he isn't completely wasted.

Maybe he says on average 3 words per day, he observes and listens but when it comes to replying all he gives are half-hearted shrugs and grunts, only actually speaking intelligently when he really has to, he's perfectly capable of forming coherent sentences, he just doesn't.

I don't know if I could RP this, I do talk alot at the table when its my turn. lol

Keld Denar
2013-04-30, 12:46 AM
I was just going by the rules in Wall of Stone and the DMG. I don't think the rules are really expressed for creatures that are larger than medium sized because most of the rules printed are for PCs who are generally medium sized.

As far as UASs with the claws, you would follow the rules for combining natural and manufactured weapons. UASs are treated are manufactured weapons WRT how they attacks, rather than natural weapons (which is what they are). So your Eldritch Claws would be shunted to secondary natural weapons (and take a -5 to hit, and only get half +Str bonus) and you would first attack with your highest attack bonus UAS, followed by your choice of your 2nd highest attack bonus UAS or your claws, then your 3rd highest attack bonus.

You probably couldn't combine the claws with Flurry though, depending on your interpretation of Flurry. Claws aren't special monk weapons, so they can't be combined with a Flurry. Whether or not that means you can make them AFTER the Flurry is something that people are still debating with no consensus.

Ashtagon
2013-04-30, 12:51 AM
Based on ability scores alone, I'd have said Cassandra (Greek mythology) or Fluttershy (when she doesn't roll 20s).

killem2
2013-05-08, 09:43 AM
So here is what I'm going with. He's very ugly, and since we use these trackers for initiatives, I have a picture of this guy with bone deformities sticking out of his skull and skin, and warts, and such.

My DM knows all about him, so he's going to make it clear that I smell bad, I have no personal hygiene acknowledgement, I walk around with soiled clothes and armor. I smell to high heaven.

I am also a macho, brash, bully like combatant who isn't actively trying to be a bully because he has emotional problems, he just doesn't have any manners. He is intelligent and wise, but socially completely incapable of getting his tactics to people verbally with out being a complete tool.

He is also highly aggressive when adventuring, and doesn't care so much for cloak and dagger, and prefers broken doors and war chants.

He's going to have a scottish accent (as best I can do anyway lol).

He's going to also have a flaw that penalizes him for his complete ugliessness, a flaw called Pug Ugly (3.0 splat book), that per dm can create social issues by me being around.

Combine with the fact I am drunkard, this could get very fun.

And I'm chaotic Neutral. :)

Telonius
2013-05-08, 09:51 AM
Ever seen "Revenge of the Nerds?"

Sounds like you're playing Ogre.

only1doug
2013-05-08, 10:03 AM
you don't need to have problems with speech or act like an automaton, just have a character with a complete disregard for all other people.

he has absolutely no empathy for other people, they are merely animated objects to him, their only value is what they can do for him and the only reason that he doesn't brush them aside and simply take what he wants is that he recognises that the objects will oppose such behaviour with significant force.

when he feels like speaking he can do so perfectly clearly but he often sees no need to make reply even when a one word answer would satisfy the object currently talking at him (i say at him rather than to him as he isn't interested in what they have to say).

Some objects may become useful tools, with these he may take greater efforts simply so that they will respond correctly when he gives them instructions upon the battlefield, some of these tools may even be useful off the battlefield to secure various advantages from the other objects he may have to deal with (why deal with the NPCs yourself when the bard can do it for you, with better results, the tool fulfills its function).

It may be necessary to pretend to your tools that you see them as people but don't forget that tools can be replaced, but there can be some effort involved in getting the new tool to work properly so good tools should be protected where possible.

killem2
2013-05-08, 10:18 AM
E

Sounds like you're playing Ogre.

You'd be not far off, combine with Booger, and it's golden. hahaha