PDA

View Full Version : [PF] The Sneaky Cleaver, thoughts?

Vastly
2013-04-29, 10:07 AM
So playing around with the idea of a half-orc rogue, I came up with this gem of an idea. It's pretty stupid, but it brings a smile to my face.

Sneaky Cleaver

Rogue (Trapsmith) 11
Half-Orc

Str 18
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 14
Wis 10
Cha 10

FEATS

1st - Skill Focus (Disable Device, Perception or UMD)
3rd - Power Attack
5th - Surprise Follow-Through
7th - Cleaving Finish
9th - Great Cleave
11th - Improved Surprise Follow-Through

ROGUE TALENTS

2nd - Canny Observer
4th - Combat Trick: Cleave
6th - Weapon Training: Weapon Focus (Falchion)
8th - Trap Spotter
10th - Crippling Strike: 2 str damage when sneak attack

Now, you might be thinking, why not a fighter, or a barbarian? Why choose rogue for this? Well 2 reasons, first off, I wanted to be able to fill the trap/skill monkey role. Secondly, the Surprise Follow-Through line denies any follow-up targets of Cleave or Greater Cleave their dexterity bonus against you. That means, Sneak Attack damage fun times. Being enlarged or otherwise gaining greater reach is important to compensate for cleaves weaknesses. Lunge would be a decent choice to shove in there, not sure where though.

Assuming you're enlarged, power attacking and completely ignoring equipment (except that you're wielding a Falchion), you'll be doing a base of 2d6+16 +6d6 +2 Str damage to clusters of enemies. You're like a martial version of fireball.

As fun as this looks, I question how playable it would be due to the limitations of cleave. But it certainly looks fun on paper. I picture him/her screaming "SNEAK! CLEAVE! SNEAK! CLEAVE!" every round as enemies are mowed down.

Any thoughts?

Xerxus
2013-04-29, 10:16 AM
Dwarf, swashbuckler archetype, dwarven double waraxe, dwarven cleave feat line.

togapika
2013-04-29, 10:45 AM
I picture him/her screaming "SNEAK! CLEAVE! SNEAK! CLEAVE!" every round as enemies are mowed down.

Any thoughts?

And you not wielding a CLEAVER? For Shame!!!

GoatBoy
2013-04-29, 11:25 AM
Don't forget to have someone cast death ward on you. Ward cleaver.

Best race is probably anthropomorphic beaver. Beaver cleaver.

I'll show myself out.

Callin
2013-04-29, 11:43 AM
Don't forget to have someone cast death ward on you. Ward cleaver.

Best race is probably anthropomorphic beaver. Beaver cleaver.

I'll show myself out.

So a Sneaky Warded Beaver Cleaver?

Vastly
2013-04-30, 12:50 PM
So a Sneaky Warded Beaver Cleaver?
I nearly did a spit take. This something to keep up my sleeve for a less then serious game hehe

I'm trying to convince a friend to turn his dwarf rogue into a sneaky cleaver, but he's pretty set on Whirlwind. Oh well, I was hoping I'd get to see this build in action!