PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an RPG that...

BlackMage8217
2013-04-29, 12:23 PM
Hey, guys. I've never posted before but after spending a day or so searching the internet, I figured I'd try. I'm looking for a turn-based RPG that has full party customization where you can see the characters. I really don't like the diablo/wizardry style (first person dungeon movement/battles).

Any suggestions? Is this even a thing?

factotum
2013-04-29, 12:43 PM
I assume by "full party customisation" you mean you want to be able to completely define every character, so the Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter Nights system of having a single customisable character who recruits a bunch of others isn't suitable? I'm not sure such a thing exists, unfortunately, at least not in recent history...the *very* old game Legend was like that, as I recall, but we're talking 20 years old there!

Aragehaor
2013-04-29, 12:50 PM
I assume by "full party customisation" you mean you want to be able to completely define every character, so the Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter Nights system of having a single customisable character who recruits a bunch of others isn't suitable? I'm not sure such a thing exists, unfortunately, at least not in recent history...the *very* old game Legend was like that, as I recall, but we're talking 20 years old there!

I believe Neverwinter Nights 2 Storm of Zehir allows you to create a full* party as opposed to a single character. Other then that though, there's not much that comes to mind - i agree.

*Though there are almost certainly some characters you can recruit into your party, the pickings are pretty slim.

Tavar
2013-04-29, 12:51 PM
So... something like a jrpg? Probably one's that have more of a loose, job system rather than a rigid class system?

BlackMage8217
2013-04-29, 01:34 PM
It could be a job change system or a rigid class system. As far as customization, the fighting style and whatnot depends on the game, I just want to choose what the characters names and appearances are.

kurokotetsu
2013-04-29, 01:43 PM
If you own a NIntendo DS, Etrian Odesseys let's you create several characters to make your whole party out of the archetypres. It is, though, a first person dungeon crawler.

Also I remember tactical RPG in the vein of Disgaea also has some specific story characters but aside from those you can create a great variety of characters to use as you will. Phantom Brae and other Nippon Ichi Software games are similar to that.

In both you choose the type of the character and name them.

Those are the ones I can think right of my head.

AdmiralCheez
2013-04-29, 02:02 PM
Similiar to Baldur's Gate, but didn't Icewind Dale give you the option of making the entire party from scratch?

tensai_oni
2013-04-29, 02:10 PM
I really don't like the diablo/wizardry style (first person dungeon movement/battles).

You know Diablo is not a first person game, right?

Look at Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 2 and Temple of Elemental Evil. The last title is the closest to what you are looking for. Unfortunately it's also not very good.

Murmaider
2013-04-29, 02:16 PM
I never actually tried this, but the loading screen in Baldurs Gate 2 says, you can create a multiplayer game, customize up to 6 characters and then start the offline. You'll lose on the character interaction, but I guess that's anyway not what you're looking for.

Grinner
2013-04-29, 02:39 PM
I recommend any of Jeff Vogel's games (http://spiderwebsoftware.com/), particularly Nethergate: Resurrection and the Avernum series. I can't speak for the recent Avernum 1 remake, though.

Ailurus
2013-04-29, 02:58 PM
I believe Neverwinter Nights 2 Storm of Zehir allows you to create a full* party as opposed to a single character. Other then that though, there's not much that comes to mind - i agree.

I'd go with this. Granted, its not turn-based, though you can pause and queue up orders as much as you want, so you're not rushed doing it. But, you can get a party of anywhere from 4-6 PCs (assuming you have the Storm of Zehir expansion; Most versions of NWN2 floating around these days are the complete edition that has it, but good to check anyway) designed from the ground up on (a facsimile of) the D&D 3.5 system.

The Icewind Dale games and ToEE would work as well, but the advantage NWN2 has over them is mods and player-created adventures. I know there's a complete mod for NWN2 that will let you play Icewind Dale in NWN2, I think I read something once about a ToEE mod as well, and there's plenty of other mods out there that add additional campaigns to the game. You can take a party from level 1 to epic levels without even touching any official content.

Cespenar
2013-04-29, 03:56 PM
FFT, perhaps? I don't know.

The Glyphstone
2013-04-29, 04:49 PM
I recommend any of Jeff Vogel's games (http://spiderwebsoftware.com/), particularly Nethergate: Resurrection and the Avernum series. I can't speak for the recent Avernum 1 remake, though.

I was just about to say that Avernum (and technically Exile, its 2-d ancestor) fit these qualifications almost perfectly.

Aotrs Commander
2013-04-29, 05:43 PM
Similiar to Baldur's Gate, but didn't Icewind Dale give you the option of making the entire party from scratch?

You actually could in BG 1 and 2, just started started a multiplayer game and only added your own characters. I played through BG 1 two and a half times and never once with the "proper" NPCs...!

Also the IWDs, as mentioned.

BlackMage8217
2013-04-29, 09:42 PM
Well, thanks for the tips, guys. I'm currently downloading the demo of Avadon the Black Fortress. I might pick up a Disgaia or Phantom Brave too.

You guys ever get that itch for one specific type of game? This is really what I've been wanting. The last thing I played that was close was D&DT, which wasn't spectacular. The problem with Baldur's Gate and NWN is that they aren't turn based and that is what I'm itching for. I'll keep looking. Thanks a bunch, though.

Antonok
2013-04-29, 09:48 PM
Tactics Ogre Knights of Lotis. Its a bit old but still one of my favorite games.

FleshrakerAbuse
2013-04-29, 11:54 PM
I think Final Fantasy Tactics certainly fits the description. It has huge amounts of customization with a pretty good job system and multiple combinations, uses a isometric type battlefield to control units, is turn based, and has some of the best music in any video game. But, the best part is the complex plot...

Burley
2013-04-30, 05:20 AM
Just gonna throw this out: Dragon Quest #, Sentinels of thd Starry Sky.

Whatever it's called.

Anyway, between the job system, which stacks static stat bonuses and abilities onto characters, and the recruitment system, which let's you tailor make your doods, I'm gonna say that it's an RPG that offers full-party customization.

If you have a Nintendo DS, and don't mind the Dragon Quest approximate combat system, I suggest it.

Tebryn
2013-04-30, 05:59 AM
X-Com: Enemy Unknown is a good pick as well.

factotum
2013-04-30, 06:20 AM
X-Com: Enemy Unknown is a good pick as well.

Well, it would be if it were an RPG... :smallwink:

Wookieetank
2013-04-30, 09:40 AM

It is fantabulous. It is one of few games in recent history I've played through start to finsih without getting distracted by another game before finishing. It was my introduction to Spiderweb's games, and I've since manged to pick up all of them except for Avadon, which I'm working on getting through Geneforge first before getting.

Sith_Happens
2013-04-30, 11:38 AM
Depending on how customizable is "fully customizable," Pokémon could totally fit your definition.:smallwink:

Iskandar
2013-04-30, 01:51 PM
Huh, i guess no one knows about Knights of the Chalice (http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/KOTC_Introduction.htm), then? Turn based, full party customization, based on the OGL version of AD&D 3.5, 175 spells,

I mean the graphics aren't great, but for anyone that has played the old, old Gold Box D&D games it is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

It is a bit restricted in class and race choice, and there is a bit of learning curve, but beyond that, I can not recommend it highly enough.

Tebryn
2013-04-30, 02:04 PM
Well, it would be if it were an RPG... :smallwink:

It...is? Fraxis thinks it is, that's how they classify it. It's a Tactical/Strategy Role Playing Game. I don't see how it's not.

Closet_Skeleton
2013-04-30, 02:05 PM
The problem with Baldur's Gate and NWN is that they aren't turn based and that is what I'm itching for. I'll keep looking. Thanks a bunch, though.

The real time nature of Baldur's Gate is essentially a lie created by the engine. It feels real time and even the option to auto-pause every turn so you can give orders like in a turn based game doesn't make it feel very turn based, but it is actually 100% turnbased to its core.

Cespenar
2013-04-30, 02:29 PM
Huh, i guess no one knows about Knights of the Chalice (http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/KOTC_Introduction.htm), then?

That's a good one, actually, yes. Well, it's a bit hack-and-slash oriented, but very enjoyable if turn based D&D 3.5 combats are your thing.