PDA

View Full Version : Need Wooden Weapons!

DrkMagusX
2013-04-29, 12:57 PM
I am working on my Druid character and thought it be neat if he could make his own weapons out of a special wood that makes em function like a metal weapon.

I found Darkwood it says weapons get no bonuses from it, but do they function like that weapon only made from it? Example : Darkwood Longsword would it still do the normal damage and such.

The character doesn't want to use metal and prefers wood. Looking for something to branch away from a Quarterstaff and bow.

Any ideas would be nice.

Also is leather, and hide my only choices of armor?

hamishspence
2013-04-29, 12:59 PM
Looking for something to branch away from a Quarterstaff and bow.

Pun intended?

ericp65
2013-04-29, 01:02 PM
Races of the Wild gives details for leafweave and wildwood as special materials used in making armor that druids can use. The Arms and Equipment Guide has other materials, and some third-party resources have still more good (?) stuff.

FleshrakerAbuse
2013-04-29, 01:05 PM
Druid wood? Let's see... the DMG has rules for wooden versions of weapons that are normally metal. However, the best druid weapon is probably the quarterstaff; there are so many spells that buff the staff.

I'd suggest otherwise a spear with a stone head and otherwise normal.

Shining Wrath
2013-04-29, 01:08 PM
Eberron provides some non-standard woods.

Bronzewood can be a straight-up replacement for metal. It weighs 10% less and the costs are similar to mithral.

Densewood costs twice as much, and weighs twice as much, but is nearly unbreakable.

Livewood stays alive after being cut. Costs 50% more, can have the interesting feature of a dryad inhabiting the livewood object.

Kerilstrasz
2013-04-29, 01:08 PM
From Arms & equipment guide..

For armors: Elven Darkleaf, Elven Leafweave, Bronzewood & Elukian Clay
For weapons: Bronzewood.

Those are what i can think right now regarding to materials only.

The Viscount
2013-04-29, 01:19 PM
There is also Ironwood, of course.

Darrin
2013-04-29, 01:20 PM
There's also ironwood. The PHB mentions that you can use the Craft skill to make wooden weapons, and then use the ironwood spell to make them as strong as steel. However, the spell as a duration, and unfortunately none of the 3.x sourcebooks have ever given a price for a "permanent" version of ironwood.

Oh, one more: Bluewood in Unapproachable East. Strong as metal, but weighs half as much. Weapons cost either 400 GP (1d4 or 1d6) or 800 GP (any other), and are considered masterwork. Can only be created by Volodni (plant people).

Cirrylius
2013-04-29, 08:35 PM
Livewood stays alive after being cut. Costs 50% more, can have the interesting feature of a dryad inhabiting the livewood object.

:smalleek:This tastes of Fridge Horror (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FridgeHorror).

Yogibear41
2013-04-29, 09:01 PM
If you grab heavy armor proficiency you can wear stone armor from races of stone, +6 AC +1 max dex, there is also the exotic Mammoth hide Armor from the same book +4 for both.

As far as wooden weapons go a club with shillegah at the first few levels seems pretty amazing, I suppose you could even dual weild them but it would waste two spells lol.

There is also a hide shield in sandstorm( I believe) which is similar to a tower shield but only gives you a -1 on your attack rolls instead of -2

Sponson
2013-04-29, 09:31 PM
The 7th level druid spell Transmute Metal to Wood will give you rules for wooden weapons as well.

ericgrau
2013-04-29, 10:22 PM
There's also ironwood. The PHB mentions that you can use the Craft skill to make wooden weapons, and then use the ironwood spell to make them as strong as steel. However, the spell as a duration, and unfortunately none of the 3.x sourcebooks have ever given a price for a "permanent" version of ironwood.

Oh, one more: Bluewood in Unapproachable East. Strong as metal, but weighs half as much. Weapons cost either 400 GP (1d4 or 1d6) or 800 GP (any other), and are considered masterwork. Can only be created by Volodni (plant people).

The duration is in days and the wielder is the caster. It might as well be permanent. Problem is it requires level 11 and by then he probably won't care for weapons anymore.

The magic item creation guidelines would peg the cost of a permanent ironwood effect at 66,000 gp, unfortunately. Probably a situation where the DM should fiat something else. I mean druids don't even need to wield non-metal weapons and for armor there's dragonscale for double normal price. Something similar would be reasonable for wooden items that are as strong as metal. In other words just a few hundred gp for a weapon. If it's an exotic wood you're done there, or if it's a magical effect you also need to make the weapon a +1 to accept it.

Gavinfoxx
2013-04-29, 10:37 PM
Bluewood: Unapproachable East, an alchemically treated wood that is as hard as steel and half the weight of normal wood. The wood is implied to be something exotic, but seems to have the same properties as Darkwood. Can explicitly be used in weapons.

Bronzewood: First in Arms & Equipment Guide, then in Eberron Campaign Setting. Basically the Wood version of iron. Can be used to make wooden swords that are just as good as steel.

Duskwood: Magic of Faerun. The most explicitly, without alchemical treatment, wood that acts in most ways like Mithral. Can explicitly be used in weapons. Unfortunately, is described as hard to work.

Coldwood: Just as good as Iron, one of the few woods that can explicitly be made into ammunition, armors, weapons, etc. Dragon Magazine 357.

DrkMagusX
2013-04-29, 11:22 PM
Duskwood + Woodshape + Craft:Woodworking = Easy Duskwood weapon?

All I want it to do is function like a regular weapon only it is wood. Any spells that affect wood would also work on this item.

I thought Livewood could be interesting but don't know if I could have sharp weapons like a longsword.

The Character in question is a Druid 4/Wizard 3/Arcane Hierphant 3.
He is right now looking like a Moon elf. We are playing in Forgotten Realms setting.

00dlez
2013-04-29, 11:33 PM
A bolas made with leather and wooden balls could be a unique twist

Cirrylius
2013-04-29, 11:41 PM
Caltrops made from thorns and pine gum?:smalltongue:

Gavinfoxx
2013-04-29, 11:42 PM
If you are in FR, Duskwood is really your best choice. It's the best-statted of the 'like iron' woods.

And livewood would need alchemical treatment, which doesn't necessarily exist for THAT type of wood... really, go Duskwood. It's fantastic.

Gavinfoxx
2013-04-29, 11:46 PM
Also, Arcane Hierophrant with no early entry?! Try retraining!

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868490/The_Arcane_Hierophant_Examined

Devronq
2013-05-01, 03:42 AM
I am working on my Druid character and thought it be neat if he could make his own weapons out of a special wood that makes em function like a metal weapon.

I found Darkwood it says weapons get no bonuses from it, but do they function like that weapon only made from it? Example : Darkwood Longsword would it still do the normal damage and such.

The character doesn't want to use metal and prefers wood. Looking for something to branch away from a Quarterstaff and bow.

Any ideas would be nice.

Also is leather, and hide my only choices of armor?

As far as the armor thing goes i always allow my players to make "dragon scale full plate mail" which i druid would be allowed to wear. We dont use any special rules about it, there might be but just throwing that our there.

DrkMagusX
2013-05-01, 11:32 AM
On the dragonscale full plate, I heard of someone casting a resurrection spell on a suit of dragonscale. Needless to say the dragon was upset and the poor fellow sitting there with no armor was worried.

Gavinfoxx
2013-05-01, 11:44 AM
Dragonscale/hide stuff is in the DMG.

If you want wooden ARMOR, there are a few more materials:

Darkleaf: Darkwood & Alchemically Treated Darkwood Leaves. Act kind of like mithral, though a bit weaker than the version of mithril that Duskwood is, albeit implied to be more versatile (ie, more armor types). Good for Armors. First in Arms & Equipment Guide, most recently in Eberron Campaign Setting.

Leafweave: Alchemically treated Leaves. Acts like Leather. Originally in Arms & Equipment Guide and Dragon Magazine 279, then Races of the Wild and Eberron Campaign Setting.

But yea, Duskwood is the best for armor, too, since it is most like Mithral.

TripleD
2013-05-01, 03:14 PM
One word: Boomerangs.

Sure they only deal d4 of damage, but you can't say it wouldn't be original. Dundee was kind of a druid/ranger when you get right down to it.

Tanklin
2013-05-01, 04:30 PM
i think you can only make bludgeoning weapons using wood and some separ-like weapons, but you can't have a wooden longsword.

But i can't remember where i read that.

Still, i think it's common sense you can't use wooden slashing weapons.

Gavinfoxx
2013-05-01, 04:34 PM
i think you can only make bludgeoning weapons using wood and some separ-like weapons, but you can't have a wooden longsword.

But i can't remember where i read that.

Still, i think it's common sense you can't use wooden slashing weapons.

Except that I just named a bunch of super-woods, fantasy woods that don't exist in real life, that CAN do slashing weapons, by the rules?