PDA

View Full Version : Some random rules questions about shooting into melee & spell slots

Kerilstrasz
2013-04-29, 01:00 PM
Hey there ... i need some clarifications about some things. Plz with your answer provide page & book i can find it so i can quote it to my Pcs if needed.

1) Assume player X wants to shoot with his bow target Z. Player F is currently in melee with Z, and he is positioned in the path of X's arrow. Does Z gains any kind of cover against X attack??? If Z gets some cover and X misses, how i determine if X's arrow hit F???

2) Can a Caster prepare a lower lvl spell in a higher lvl spell slot?
For example, can a wizard prepare prestidigitation in all his lvl 0 , 1 ,2 & 3 lvl spell slots if he wants to do so? If for example prepares a spell in a higher lvl spell slot, does that altering any of the spells variables (saves,duration etc etc)????

3) Can a spontaneous caster do the same as the above? For example , can a sorcerer cast magic missile in a lvl 5 spell slot??? does that higher spell slot affects the spell in any way?

PS: Id like to know if the above can be done without feats, or special abilities. If they cant be done, i d appreciate if someone include these options in his/her answer.

THNX ALL :smallwink:

Neo Tin Robo
2013-04-29, 01:11 PM
1. He would get "soft cover" for a +4 bonus to AC. By default, it would not hit the other person in melee, but if you wish you could rule that it does if it also hits his AC.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#cover

2. and 3. They can use higher slots for lower level spells, but gain no special benefit from doing so without metamagic feats, other than the increased number of castings, of course.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#wizardSpellSlots

Oscredwin
2013-04-29, 01:13 PM
Hey there ... i need some clarifications about some things. Plz with your answer provide page & book i can find it so i can quote it to my Pcs if needed.

1) Assume player X wants to shoot with his bow target Z. Player F is currently in melee with Z, and he is positioned in the path of X's arrow. Does Z gains any kind of cover against X attack??? If Z gets some cover and X misses, how i determine if X's arrow hit F???

2) Can a Caster prepare a lower lvl spell in a higher lvl spell slot?
For example, can a wizard prepare prestidigitation in all his lvl 0 , 1 ,2 & 3 lvl spell slots if he wants to do so? If for example prepares a spell in a higher lvl spell slot, does that altering any of the spells variables (saves,duration etc etc)????

3) Can a spontaneous caster do the same as the above? For example , can a sorcerer cast magic missile in a lvl 5 spell slot??? does that higher spell slot affects the spell in any way?

PS: Id like to know if the above can be done without feats, or special abilities. If they cant be done, i d appreciate if someone include these options in his/her answer.

THNX ALL :smallwink:
All statements assume 3.5

1) Firing into Melee gives the attacker a -4 penalty to attack roles. If your friend is between you and your target, your target also gets a +4 cover bonus to AC. The feat precise shot gets rid of the firing into melee penalty and improved precise shot gets rid of the targets cover bonus.

2) You can memorize a spell in any spell slot at the spell level or above. That means you can put cantrips in any spell slot. This doesn't affect the spell in anyway unless you have metamagic feats.

3) This is the same as question 2.

Kerilstrasz
2013-04-29, 01:17 PM
Yes it is for 3,5.

And thnk you both for the answers :)