PDA

View Full Version : (P6) Full BAB for rogues?

JusticeZero
2013-04-29, 02:21 PM
Looked at the feat tree for the 'Steal' maneuver. Realized that it was out of reach for a rogue. Thought that was a bit goofy. The skill monkey role is downplayed a bit already, what effects would giving the Rogue full BAB have on things?

Vadskye
2013-04-29, 02:45 PM
It wouldn't have a radical effect on the Rogue's place in the tier list. It would make splashing Rogue 1 extremely common. But most of all, it would be unintuitive. Fighters should be better at fighting than rogues. Thematically, rogues compensate for their lack of sheer fighting prowess with other abilities; they shouldn't have the same core fighting prowess as a fighter (and similar classes).

JusticeZero
2013-04-29, 04:23 PM
Hmm. Yeah, the splashing isn't something i'm big on. I haven't really worked out the concept for the Cryptic yet - they still strike me as a cross between a warlock and a conspiracy theorist cloudcoocoolander somehow - and someone might want to be sneaky without having a wall full of incriminating crazy written on their skin. I'm concerned about how well the rogue fits in without a major skill advantage.

Yitzi
2013-04-29, 04:50 PM
If your concern is simply the Steal maneuver and its associated feats, a better approach might be to allow ranks in Sleight of Hand to substitute for BAB specifically for that maneuver and its associated feats.

Just to Browse
2013-04-29, 09:42 PM
Yeah, rogue dips would be much more common, but I'm not sure by how much because sneak attack is either situational (first round of combat) or really locks you into a certain role, and the rogue chassis already has a d6 hit die.

If you're really worried, you could switch every even and odd class feature, or do sleight of hand ranks - 3, but I wouldn't be too worried about it. If your players are doing anything other than flask rogues, you probably won't notice the increased strength all that much.

Yitzi
2013-04-29, 10:20 PM
If you're really worried, you could switch every even and odd class feature, or do sleight of hand ranks - 3, but I wouldn't be too worried about it

No -3 there; this is Pathfinder we're talking about here, so (IIRC) max skill ranks is equal to level.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-04-30, 12:09 AM
Personally when I was altering some classes builds for an E6 system I found I had given every non-spell slinging class full BAB without relizing it, and honestly I don't think it's really game breaking.

If anything it get's rid of the whole "I want to be _______ class but I don't want to be **** at combat due to my lower BAB" mindset.

Honestly, I think classes like Fighters who have the high BAB need some buffs anyway's. Might as well make some of those buffs increases accuracy from something other than BAB and weapon focus.

Though this does have the one drawback where AC is even more irrelevant now.
If you can find a way to counter act that though then the game experience may be much more enjoyable as a whole.

However... looking back at this relise this just became a chain effect of alterations for different things. So if we really want to focus it to just rogues and BAB, I still don't see the issue. The only main thing is that's just one more edge the fighter loses, where it's already running behind as it is.

JusticeZero
2013-04-30, 10:00 AM
I gave the Fighter more skill points already, because most of the Fighter concepts that I see from people are closer to Roy than anything else and include a lot of incidental military type skill. That said I was already considering giving them slightly more access to feats with some sort've prerequisite pass. It's the Aegis, Barbarian, Marksman, Ranger (they don't get spells, only traps or pet stuff, and I might cut the Trapper because the fluff doesn't mesh) and Soulknife I worry about, balancewise. I don't understand any of their abilities enough to do a good balance comparison. I'm probably cutting the Cavalier completely, since they are so tied to riding a horse and we're in a boggy swamp.