PDA

View Full Version : Wanting Character ideas pls

DrkMagusX
2013-04-29, 06:08 PM
I am currently designing a character for Forgotten Realms setting.
I am thinking of going with the arcane hierophant PrCls. Druid/Wizard combo.

The character would be found in the Underdark since thats where we currently reside. We are not drow but venturing forth there for storyline.

I would like some interesting flare to help explain why the character is down there. The current race i m thinking of is a Moon Elf with a Hawk Animal companion.

If someone can come up with a better race and or Animal companion to fit the underdark pls let me know.

I enjoy roleplaying the character with a good story. I get too bored with MinMaxed characters design for maximum damage etc. This character is pure utility as we have good melee lineup. I don't wanna steal the spotlight from the frontliners .

Let the creativity flow :)

Urpriest
2013-04-29, 06:16 PM
Hawk doesn't do too much for you. Arcane Hierophant can really boost a companion, it seems a shame to use a companion that's intentionally not that great a combatant when you've chosen a class whose main benefit is boosting companions. Do you like Hawk for the image, or the utility?

What level are you starting?

Callin
2013-04-29, 06:19 PM
Lesser Earth Genesai or Lesser Svirfneblin. Those would kick ass!

Nightraiderx
2013-04-29, 06:28 PM
If you use ranger 4 into the knight of the raven, since the class focuses on
hunting undead and gives you a raven that can do tricks as you level, it could be the reason why you are hunting down there a way to make a backstory out of that.

DrkMagusX
2013-04-29, 06:54 PM
I thought of hawk cause its high fly speed. Its good ac. It got a great spot and I could channel spells from it while its flying over my enemies. It also could get benefit spells to party members I can't reach.

I was looking at level 9 or 10. Druid 4 then wizard 3 and AH 2 or 3. I know I will have natural bond to give the animal a +3 to its druid level. Thought about the one for the wizard side as well .

Urpriest
2013-04-29, 11:56 PM
I thought of hawk cause its high fly speed. Its good ac. It got a great spot and I could channel spells from it while its flying over my enemies. It also could get benefit spells to party members I can't reach.

I was looking at level 9 or 10. Druid 4 then wizard 3 and AH 2 or 3. I know I will have natural bond to give the animal a +3 to its druid level. Thought about the one for the wizard side as well .

Alright, let's parse this out.

You're going for level 9 or 10, so your total animal companion level will be 9 or 10 with natural bond. I don't know what you mean by "the one for the Wizard side," since there's nothing like natural bond for familiars.

Flight is definitely nice on a companion, but unless you really want something tiny, you can do better than a hawk. An Eagle, for example, has a higher fly speed and the same Spot. At your level, you can have a Dire Eagle (Races of Stone), Large and even more Spot, not to mention a pretty good attack routine. If you can use material from Eberron, a Dragonhawk (Five Nations) is even beefier, though it may have trouble in more constricted caves.

Since you're going to be underground, strongly consider a Dire Bat (or even a Horrid Dire Bat if you can use Eberron material). Blindsense is in general nice.

Also, remember that you Wild Shape like a 6th or 7th level Druid, so you can turn into a Medium flying animal if you need to fly somewhere. Since you want to be casting-focused rather than melee-focused, you'll probably want to be flying out of reach whenever you can.

Ace Nex
2013-04-30, 03:38 AM
As far as animal companions go, for sheer combat ability fleshraker+venomfire=LOTS. Utilitywise, I think the guy above me did a good job with the fliers. As for race, perhaps you were caught by/hunting something in the underdark? Half the races down there take slaves, maybe a family member got taken and you're trying to find them. Races, dwarf is a solid choice, as is human if you're feat starved (lack of darkvision in the underdark sucks though). L. Teiflings are one of my favorite races, but make sure your DM clears it first.