PDA

View Full Version : Blaster Sorcadin 3.P

MukkTB
2013-04-29, 07:05 PM
Blast spells depend heavily on caster level. In 3.5 using a Sorcadin to blast would be really dumb because its down 2 caster levels. Pathfinder brings the trait Magical Knack. With it you're operating at full caster level.

I'm considering a build like this.
Human
Str 9 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 12 Wis 7 Cha 19
20 Point Buy (PF) +2 Charisma
Traits, Magical Knack, World Traveler

Level 1 Paladin (Hunter Archtype -> Precise Shot)
Weapon Finesse
Energy Substitution (Cold)
Smite Evil

The hunter archetype lets me exchange heavy armor proficiency for Precise Shot. I eventually want that proficiency so that I can take 1 spellsword level, but this way I can skip over picking up point blank shot. Weapon finesse will allow me to make touch attacks with spells later easily. The big one though, is smite evil. I’m only ever going to get one use, but one use means I’m always getting Charisma to hit against the boss monster at the very least. Between Precise shot, Weapon Finesse, the extra BA from Paladin, and Smite Evil, I expect to be very accurate when I start needing to make touch attacks and ranged touch attacks with spells.

Level 2 Paladin
Divine Grace
Lay on Hands

This is why we’re here. Charisma to saving throws. Lay on hands is also nice. Because its a swift action to use on oneself, it translates into fast healing 3 in combat.

Level 3 Sorcerer (Tattooed Archytype -> +1 to CL for Evocation)
Draconic Heritage (White)
Draconic Bloodline (White)
Best Spell Damage: 18
Best Straight Sorcerer Damage: 14

We’re now operating at CL 4 for blasts. With energy substitution I can take advantage of the bloodline arcana for any spell on the list. Cold damage was selected because fire is commonly encountered and acid just seemed too ridiculous. When I say Best Spell Damage I mean the average damage of the spell I can cast that has the best average results. Best Straight Sorcerer damage is the same thing for a straight Sorcerer character.

Level 4 Sorcerer
20 Cha
Best Spell Damage: 22.5
Best Straight Sorcerer Damage: 24.75

The Straight Sorcerer used his trait to get free metamagic reduction on Lesser Ice orb. He’s having fun right now. I on the other hand am more comfortable up close, so shocking grasp is my friend.

Level 5 Sorcerer
Heavy Armor Proficiency
Best Spell Damage: 22.5
Best Straight Sorcerer Damage: 24.75

I want to go into Spellsword so I drop the feat, paying backwards for precise shot.

Level 6 Sorcerer
Best Spell Damage: 36
Best Straight Sorcerer Damage: 36

Level 7 Spellsword
Empower
10% Arcane Spell Failure Reduction
Best Spell Damage: 36
Best Straight Sorcerer Damage: 54

Woot I can now wear a Mithril Chain Shirt. That 4 AC is pretty late in the game, 3 or 4 levels too late to be useful. It will keep weak mooks off. The value is that I can stack useful enchantments on it. However I’m in for a tough ride for two levels. The straight sorcerer just had Practical Metamagic come online. I have to wait.

Level 8 Sorcerer
21 Cha
Best Spell Damage: 40.5
Best Straight Sorcerer Damage: 60.75

This part is the suck. 1 More level I have to wait for Practical Metamagic.

Level 9 Sorcerer
Practical Metamagic
Best Spell Damage: 81
Best Straight Sorcerer Damage: 81

Woot.

Level 10 Sorcerer
Improved Initiative
Best Spell Damage: 81
Best Straight Sorcerer Damage: 81.5

I’m hurting for Celerity compared to the straight Sorcerer. Otherwise things are looking good.

In all, the Sorcadin using empower with metamagic mostly keeps up with a straight Sorcerer for damage. In exchange for longevity it picks up some survivability and more accuracy in its blasts. At least as far as I can tell. I expect to play through the level 5 to 10 area.

What does the playground think?