PDA

View Full Version : cartoon action hour

kidnicky
2013-04-29, 08:51 PM
I just bought this and got a message asking me to spread the word about it so here it is. I've never read an "indie" RPG bbefore,I've really only been exposed to stuff like DnD, Star Wars, White Wolf, etc. I was surprised how professional this was. It's fairly rules light. My group hasn't played it yet, but I can tell it's going to be fun. It emulates the toy-based cartoons of the 80s,like He-Man,Transformers, etc. If you're in your 30's and don't NEED a game to be miniatures based with a lot of math, I think you'd like it. That being said, only fans of the source material need apply. If you weren't into these 'toons as a kid you won't care for this.

To tell you the truth, even not having played this yet I think I got my 8 bucks worth just reading the book. There are very long sections describing 3 fictional 80s cartoons/toylines you can use as campaign settings. They are very detailed, even talking about the behind the scenes of the (fictional) animation studios. There's enough characters that if you didn't want to create chars you really don't need to. There's episode ideas (but not full adventures) and the dungeon master chapter is the best I've ever read.

Again -this is 8 bucks, just get it. Highly recommended.

Janus
2013-04-29, 09:13 PM
I heard that you can get bonus XP for presenting an "In today's episode" type moral after a session. Is that true?

EDIT
Where'd you get it for $8?

kidnicky
2013-04-29, 09:23 PM
Yes, anyone who participates in the PSA 's gets an additional XP. When the next season begins your char will "have a new action figure come out" and you upgrade your weapons or powers or whatever.

I got it from Drive Thru RPG. The. Pdf file was I believe 8 or 9 bucks. For a couple bucks more you can get an anime sourcebook and a short supplement on Transfomers -specific rules (targetmasters, rocklords, headmasters, etc.)