PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Celerity

CIDE
2013-04-29, 09:17 PM
What it says on the tin. What is the single most efficient way for an Artificer to use Celerity?

Sponson
2013-04-29, 09:23 PM
What it says on the tin. What is the single most efficient way for an Artificer to use Celerity?

Can you be more specific?

Like, what is the most efficient way for an artificer to use his immediate turn granted by celerity?
Or the most efficient way for the artificer to be able to use celerity?

I mean, to both answers I say wands. Wand of Celerity is an immediate action followed by a wand of whatever fits your need (shivering touch, transposition to swap you and your fighter (or wizard), teleport, battering ram, wings of cover... list goes on). The enemy can't exactly disagree with your actions anyway.

Arcanist
2013-04-29, 09:23 PM
Hidden Weapon with a wand chamber... Classic :smallamused:

Another route is equipping a buckler and doing the same thing and always having your buckler out so it is ALWAYS readied and usable.

CIDE
2013-04-29, 09:29 PM
I think I screwed up when asking the question and confused the spell level of Celerity with Greater Celerity when I thought you couldn't use wands for it.

My bad.

Tvtyrant
2013-04-29, 10:21 PM
Exotic weapon prof: Gnomish Quickrazor. Quick Draw feat. A dozen razors with wand chambers. Draw celerity wand as a free action, use it, put it back as a free action, draw a useful wand for the occasion as a free action, use it, put it back as a free action.

Arcanist
2013-04-29, 10:34 PM
Exotic weapon prof: Gnomish Quickrazor. Quick Draw feat. A dozen razors with wand chambers. Draw celerity wand as a free action, use it, put it back as a free action, draw a useful wand for the occasion as a free action, use it, put it back as a free action.

This is actually pretty clever.

kiryoku
2013-04-30, 01:45 AM
But I do remember a rule somewhere limiting free actions to one a round. The same with immediate and swift as well. Unless it says that it bypasses that on the spell, Item, or feat it can only be used so much. If something gives you a extra standard, move, or full action a turn you could abuse that. but not the the ones that cost nothing to use. I know alot of people house rule this isn't ture but its in the rule book. I think the players handbook at that and the books that added in the swift action and Immediate ones. Mind you I remember seeing it a while back so don't quote me on it. But I am pretty sure its true.

TuggyNE
2013-04-30, 02:08 AM
But I do remember a rule somewhere limiting free actions to one a round.

What? No.
In a normal round, you can perform a standard action and a move action, or you can perform a full-round action. You can also perform one or more free actions. You can always take a move action in place of a standard action.
[…]
Free actions don’t take any time at all, though there may be limits to the number of free actions you can perform in a turn.

Not only is there no such specific limitation on free actions, there's specifically not such a tight limitation, even if you decide to houserule a particular sanity limit on free actions per turn (100, say).

Sponson
2013-04-30, 10:21 AM
A free action can't be used when it's not your turn though, so you couldn't free draw a quick razor for a wand of celerity when it's not your turn to actually use the wand when it's needed.

If you had one gauntlet though, so you could never be disarmed of that wand of celerity and always have that gauntlet on you...

Fouredged Sword
2013-04-30, 12:29 PM
Also useful is to craft a staff with useful spells, make it count as a quarterstaff during crafting, then stick a wand chamber in each end. Hold it one handed.

Very useful on a magic per hand basis. Use the other hand for quick razor silliness.

Urpriest
2013-04-30, 12:37 PM
Favor of the Martyr is also wandable, and is the other piece of the efficient Celerity use puzzle for Artificers.