PDA

View Full Version : The IronMan Mark VII Suit

TheG
2013-04-29, 11:05 PM
Hello everyone! Thanks for the lastest film of IronMan and a new campaing approaching, i'm tempted to run a Artificier (his build is secondary at the moment) and build - at least - the Mark VII (http://ironman.wikia.com/wiki/Mark_VII) suit.

But first of all i have some questions for you.

1. Can an artificer imbue multiple spell effects into an armor?
2. Imbuing different effects on a single item has any Cost reduction/moltiplication? Sorry but SRD is very confusing about this
Multiple Similar Abilities
For items with multiple similar abilities that don’t take up space on a character’s body use the following formula: Calculate the price of the single most costly ability, then add 75% of the value of the next most costly ability, plus one-half the value of any other abilities.

Multiple Different Abilities
Abilities such as an attack roll bonus or saving throw bonus and a spell-like function are not similar, and their values are simply added together to determine the cost. For items that do take up a space on a character’s body each additional power not only has no discount but instead has a 50% increase in price.
3. Can i add other powers to the sui..armor, after the crafting? if i can, what rules do i have to follow? Sorry but SRD is very confusing about this #2
Adding New Abilities
A creator can add new magical abilities to a magic item with no restrictions. The cost to do this is the same as if the item was not magical. Thus, a +1 longsword can be made into a +2 vorpal longsword, with the cost to create it being equal to that of a +2 vorpal sword minus the cost of a +1 sword.
If the item is one that occupies a specific place on a character’s body the cost of adding any additional ability to that item increases by 50%. For example, if a character adds the power to confer invisibility to her ring of protection +2, the cost of adding this ability is the same as for creating a ring of invisibility multiplied by 1.5.

Ok let's start tinkering.

Prerequisites/Limitations: The campaing will begin @LV8, so the spells imbued will have a maximum of CL8 and the maximum GP cost (after reductuins :evillaugh ) will be under 27000gp (wealt by level set from THIS (http://dicefreaks.superforums.org/viewtopic.php?p=6488)). The XP resevoir expendable on the armor, guessing that the character will begin to build his armor from lv5 when Artificier gains Craft Armor&Weapons, will be the sum of the craft reserve from LV5 to LV8 = 700XP. If the Character gains the Item Familiar feat (from UA) has an +10% of total XP bonus with Invest Life Energy (28000 @LV8) so +2800Xp...For a total of 3500XP.

Due to my lack of interpretation of the -multiple spell effect item cost- i will add each price without Bonus/Malus.

Base

Mechanus Gear (Planar Handbook) 1,750gp CA+10 DexMax+0 Penality–10 SpeedRed -15 ft (or simply the classic Full plate)
+ Mithril 9000gp DexMax +2 Penality -7 SpeedRed - 10 ft
+ Calling Enchantment (MiC) +2000gp

for who wants an extremis armor (if you read the comic you know what i mean) i suggest Tessellated Armor form Arms & Equipments guide.

Weaponry
Unibeam - Orb of Force SL4 CL8 50Charges = 4x8x750gp = 24000 gp
Laser - Schorching Ray SL2 CL7 50Charges = 2x7x750gp = 10500 gp
Repulsor - Bigby's Striking Fist SL2 CL8 50Charges = 2x8x750gp = 12000gp
MicroMissiles - Magic Missile SL1 CL7 50Charges = 1x7x750gp = 5250gp
Flares - Flare SL0 CL1 Command Word/At Will = 1/2x1x1800gp = 900gp

Total: 52650gp

It should be almost everything the suit has. However, despite the possibility of having other at will effects, i prefeer to have multiple 50charges effects, so when i burn it all (hoping to reach an higher CL meanwhile) i could re-enchant the armor with another 50charges of the same spell with an higher CL.

Software
Thermal - Darkvision SL2 CL3 Command Word - 2x3x1800gp = 7200gp
Aiming - Guided Shot SL1 CL1 Continuous - 1x1x2000 = 2000x4 = 8000gp
Scanner - See Invisibility SL2 CL3 Command Word - 2x3x1800gp = 7200gp
Allarm - Vigilant Slumber SL1 CL1 Command Word - 1x1x1800 = 1800gp
Radar - Dectect Magic SL0 CL1 Command Word - 1/2x1x1800 = 900gp

Total: 25100gp

Hardware
Vector Thrusters - Fly SL3 CL5 Command Word - 3x5x1800gp = 27000
Enhanced Exoskeleton - Fist of Stone SL1 CL1 Continuous - 1x1x2000gp = 2000x2 = 4000gp
Exoskeleton Overcharge - Bull’s Strength SL2 CL3 Command Word - 2x3x1800gp = 7200gp
Enhanced Joints - Expeditious Retreat SL1 CL1 Continuous - 1x1x2000gp = 2000x2 = 4000gp
Inertial Dumpers - Shiled SL1 CL1 Continuous - 1x1x2000gp = 2000x2 = 4000gp
Superhard Plates - Laeral's Cutting Hand SL1 CL1 Continuous - 1x1x2000gp = 2000x4= 8000gp

Total: 54200gp

It's about 145000gp (rounding), counting every enchantment without any malus/bounus. it's a lot, so here comes other questions to you

4. I found THIS (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1000) on min/max that's very usefull, but somhow i want to ask if i could apply the Class / Skill restriction discount from DMG to an item crafeted by me. And if the wonderfull -75% cost reduction from Kaorti crafting stacks with or replaces the -50% discount from market price by crafting the item yourself.

5. Do you have any suggestion by RAW for stacking of all this spell effects (in the meaning of cost increase/multiplication - or adding effects on an existing item etc, as already written above)?

6. Guess to finally have craft this masterwork armor HOW DO YOU SUGGEST TO PROTECT IT? I think i'll experience so much hate for this jewel, i wish i'll do everything in my power to protect it from Shatter/Dispel/Disjunction...any ideas???

Thx so much for reading and helping (if you answer some questions :D ). Cya !

Fyermind
2013-04-30, 02:13 AM
I would suggest dividing the powers up among different items that fit together to make the full armor.

For example you might have a mask providing the software, boots providing most of the movement related hardware, etc.

Make sure your DM is okay with you playing Ironman. That should be your primary protection from disjunction. For dispel protection, you could make an item that casts dispel magic to counterspell combined with battlefield awareness or one of the other spells that allows you to counterspell as an immediate action.

Arcanist
2013-04-30, 02:35 AM
Add in Armored spikes so you can add in Warning for that sweet +5 bonus to Initiative.

Also consider some Armor Crystals and some Dragonshard modifications, as well as implementing Elemental binding as well. Iron Man's armor better put the Robe of the Red Magi to shame :smallamused:

Crazysaneman
2013-04-30, 10:21 AM
This is a little gem I came across a bit ago... Not sure if it will help but it can't hurt :)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13984505&postcount=10

AWiz_Abroad
2013-04-30, 11:43 AM
I think the OP is really cool. I am away from books. But there is another aspect that might be an interesting to simulate, namely Jarvis. I don't know if you could do it at ECL8, but lets see. . .

I'm thinking a Warlock/Fiend of Posession4 who recieved an atonement spell. Other ideas?

nobodez
2013-04-30, 12:39 PM
I think the OP is really cool. I am away from books. But there is another aspect that might be an interesting to simulate, namely Jarvis. I don't know if you could do it at ECL8, but lets see. . .

I'm thinking a Warlock/Fiend of Posession4 who recieved an atonement spell. Other ideas?

Well, there's always intelligent items (and since intelligent items are creatures, they might be immune to MDJ).

As for the armor, yeah, basically instead of putting everything into the armor itself, spread it around, you've got twelve slots (including the armor in the body slot), use them for the items rather than putting it all in one piece.

Also, price the slots with less than full charges (10 or so is my preference) to save money.

Also, rather than expeditious retreat, use haste (a first level Trapsmith spell from Dungeonscape).

Also, as much as I love the "Exoskeleton Overcharge", as a GM I'd say it wouldn't be allowed, since it's effectively a +4 Strength bonus, which has a price of 16k, rather than 7.2k.

Person_Man
2013-04-30, 01:01 PM
*Cough* Shameless Magitech Templar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176276) homebrew plug *Cough*

I've also already PM'd a mod in hopes of getting the thread unlocked, so I can update it with new abilities based on whatever I see in the new sequel movie next week. And I've been working on updating it for Pathfinder as well. So stay tuned.

Daftendirekt
2013-04-30, 02:49 PM
This is a little gem I came across a bit ago... Not sure if it will help but it can't hurt :)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13984505&postcount=10

Oh, that is cool. Looks pretty well done, too. I want to use that in a game now.

TuggyNE
2013-04-30, 06:23 PM
Well, there's always intelligent items (and since intelligent items are creatures, they might be immune to MDJ).

Not especially*, but they might have higher Will saves. One can always hope.

*MDJ doesn't care that something is an object; rather, it affects magic items in a specific way. Since intelligent magic items are still indubitably magic items, they're still affected.

Madcrafter
2013-04-30, 08:33 PM
But first of all i have some questions for you.

1. Can an artificer imbue multiple spell effects into an armor?Yup.

2. Imbuing different effects on a single item has any Cost reduction/moltiplication? Sorry but SRD is very confusing about thisAs it is armour, taking up the body slot, each of those spell enchantments after the first would cost 50% extra (at least I'm pretty sure, now that I think about it I don't believe I've ever tried to make an item like that). Hence why everyone is suggesting splitting it among multiple different items, which is a good idea. (Wands for the weapons, helmet and lenses for the software, bracers and boots for the hardware etc.)

3. Can i add other powers to the sui..armor, after the crafting? if i can, what rules do i have to follow? Sorry but SRD is very confusing about this #2 Yup, cost to add is the same as the cost to enchant a new item of that type (plus the 50% markup above), unless you are improving an existing ability (which in this case you aren't, eg. +1 sword to +2 vorpal sword as per the SRD example)

Prerequisites/Limitations:... maximum of CL8 ... Your're an artificer, so that would be 10 at level 8 since you can craft 2 CLs higher.

Base

Mechanus Gear (Planar Handbook) 1,750gp CA+10 DexMax+0 Penality–10 SpeedRed -15 ft (or simply the classic Full plate)
+ Mithril 9000gp DexMax +2 Penality -7 SpeedRed - 10 ft
+ Calling Enchantment (MiC) +2000gpPersonally not a fan of that armour because of the ACP an slowness, but it is nice. The Calling ability I believe you can get cheaper as an armour crystal.

Weaponry
Unibeam - Orb of Force SL4 CL8 50Charges = 4x8x750gp = 24000 gp
Laser - Schorching Ray SL2 CL7 50Charges = 2x7x750gp = 10500 gp
Repulsor - Bigby's Striking Fist SL2 CL8 50Charges = 2x8x750gp = 12000gp
MicroMissiles - Magic Missile SL1 CL7 50Charges = 1x7x750gp = 5250gp
Flares - Flare SL0 CL1 Command Word/At Will = 1/2x1x1800gp = 900gp
I'd suggest getting these as wands, with a Quiver of Elhonna or HHH to switch them out (or bracelet of wands if you are feeling expensive). As was suggested earlier, making the ones you'll use less often with less charges will save you a ton potentially (200 charges is a lot).

Software
Thermal - Darkvision SL2 CL3 Command Word - 2x3x1800gp = 7200gp
Aiming - Guided Shot SL1 CL1 Continuous - 1x1x2000 = 2000x4 = 8000gp
Scanner - See Invisibility SL2 CL3 Command Word - 2x3x1800gp = 7200gp
Allarm - Vigilant Slumber SL1 CL1 Command Word - 1x1x1800 = 1800gp
Radar - Dectect Magic SL0 CL1 Command Word - 1/2x1x1800 = 900gpIntegrate into goggles/lenses, masks or helmets; some of these are already magic items, so you might have to be careful about getting them cheaper (goggles of night are 12k for example).

Hardware
Vector Thrusters - Fly SL3 CL5 Command Word - 3x5x1800gp = 27000
Enhanced Exoskeleton - Fist of Stone SL1 CL1 Continuous - 1x1x2000gp = 2000x2 = 4000gp
Exoskeleton Overcharge - Bull’s Strength SL2 CL3 Command Word - 2x3x1800gp = 7200gp
Enhanced Joints - Expeditious Retreat SL1 CL1 Continuous - 1x1x2000gp = 2000x2 = 4000gp
Inertial Dumpers - Shiled SL1 CL1 Continuous - 1x1x2000gp = 2000x2 = 4000gp
Superhard Plates - Laeral's Cutting Hand SL1 CL1 Continuous - 1x1x2000gp = 2000x4= 8000gp
Master Air is the same as fly, but gives you a faster speed and is only second level; it does require you to repeat the command word more often, and gives you some insubstantial wings (which you could refluff or ignore presumably). An alternative anyways. Fist of Stone and Bull's Str. are both enhancement bonuses, and won't stack. The situations are rare that'd you'd need the extra str in a situation not covered by Fist of Stone, so you may want to forget about the other one entirely. I think there are some other options around there too, but I'd have to pull out my own build, same for Laeral's.

4. I found THIS (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1000) on min/max that's very usefull, but somhow i want to ask if i could apply the Class / Skill restriction discount from DMG to an item crafeted by me. And if the wonderfull -75% cost reduction from Kaorti crafting stacks with or replaces the -50% discount from market price by crafting the item yourself.Theoretically yes, make the armour only usable by artificers with the UMD skill to net yourself a small discount. I'd advise against taking 2LA and being a demon to be able to change some of the gold cost into XP by being a Kaorti.

6. Guess to finally have craft this masterwork armor HOW DO YOU SUGGEST TO PROTECT IT? I think i'll experience so much hate for this jewel, i wish i'll do everything in my power to protect it from Shatter/Dispel/Disjunction...any ideas???It is magical, which gives it strength from mundane attack. For protection from the stronger stuff, the best would always be a DM agreement. That said, if you want a bit extra, perhaps a Ring of Spell-Battle from the MIC? Ridiculously overpowered for its price, but will help you out in the anti-magic department. (And on that note, watch out for Antimagic zones as well).

When I made my Iron man inspired artificer, he used an amulet of Unfettered Heroism combined with the Wand Surge feat so all his items could have no charges used. I thought it wonderful that if the "arc reactor" went down, everything would drain out of charges pretty fast. Mind you, doing something that ridiculous with a custom item would require DM permission.

Arcanist
2013-04-30, 09:02 PM
When I made my Iron man inspired artificer, he used an amulet of Unfettered Heroism combined with the Wand Surge feat so all his items could have no charges used. I thought it wonderful that if the "arc reactor" went down, everything would drain out of charges pretty fast. Mind you, doing something that ridiculous with a custom item would require DM permission.

This is genius actually... A compacted Self-resetting Boon trap of Unfettered Heroism. I'm not actually sure how much space traps take up actually... :smallconfused:

If we do, we can figure out how to make an Arc reactor function... In fact, I think I might implement this design into my Wandslinger Artificer.

Than
2013-04-30, 10:38 PM
Doesn't Kaorti crafting require you to BE a Kaorti while also on a different plane?

Long day and I can't get my brain to tell me which book that is again.

Madcrafter
2013-04-30, 11:35 PM
Doesn't Kaorti crafting require you to BE a Kaorti while also on a different plane?

Long day and I can't get my brain to tell me which book that is again.

Yup, you also have to spend XP instead of the gold since you are excreting the matter to make it. Fiend Folio. Not sure about having to be on a specific plane though.

TuggyNE
2013-05-01, 12:40 AM
Yup, you also have to spend XP instead of the gold since you are excreting the matter to make it. Fiend Folio. Not sure about having to be on a specific plane though.

Ahem. The term you want is "secreting" the material.

Madcrafter
2013-05-01, 12:52 AM
Ahem. The term you want is "secreting" the material.

You might think that, but the article on kaorti resin uses excrete several times, which does raise some questions about their biology.

Arcanist
2013-05-01, 12:57 AM
You might think that, but the article on kaorti resin uses excrete several times, which does raise some questions about their biology.

... Oh god... They... "excrete" gold bricks :smalleek:

... You are now the single most ballin' Artificer ever :smallamused:

TuggyNE
2013-05-01, 01:41 AM

*facepalm* Seriously? That's the worst thing I've heard all day. :smallsigh:

Joe Eskimo
2013-05-01, 02:58 AM
*Cough* Shameless Magitech Templar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176276) homebrew plug *Cough*

I've also already PM'd a mod in hopes of getting the thread unlocked, so I can update it with new abilities based on whatever I see in the new sequel movie next week. And I've been working on updating it for Pathfinder as well. So stay tuned.

Looking forward to this. I'm a big fan of the Magitech Templar. It takes care of all my Iron Man needs.

TheG
2013-05-02, 11:08 AM
Thx everyone for replying.
There is a mini update due to your exquisite suggestions, my personal research AND master's new restrictions.

Restrictions are (as i've mentionated) starting lv 8 [27000gp / 28000xp] and only 3 books over the 3 core books. That was
tough, but "When the going gets tough, the tough get going".

So i chose Eberron Capaign Settings (obv, for artificer) as #2 i was guessing FiendFolio for the Karoti discount and i was tinking about the #3 .. Unhearted Arcana for Item Familiar (xp bonus, skillpoints bonus, spell bonus, intelligent item before CL15 [@CL7]) and for using Craft Points (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/craftPoints.htm) rules [lol: matter creation and spark giving tecniques for the ultimate demiurge]

or Weapons of Legacy for some more silliness.

I'm talking about WoL 'cose as everyone knows pre-legacy item has the +1/4000mo market price restriction when founding one..
Conversely, magic items that carry more than minor power do not make suitable candidates for legacy items. Therefore, weapons and armor with a +2 or higher effective enhancement bonus cannot become legacy weapons, nor can other magic items whose market price is above 4,000 gp. Weapons and armor made of special materials that increase their market price are still viable candidate items, as long as their initial enhancement bonus is no more than +1. But there isn't any rule about interdiction for adding new powers later with normal crafting...

leaving the spell-effect things to core-only.

As you can see, i must concentrate bonuses from few books..What do you suggest?

Now talk about some tricks.
The Wight Thing: Master wants semi core-only? there is a nice trick to make XP cost obsolete: tame a wight as laboratory assistant
Step 1: Get level drained. This sets your XP exactly halfway between your current (pre-drained) level and your last level.
"Level Loss"A character who loses a level instantly loses one Hit Die. The character’s base attack bonus, base saving throw bonuses, and special class abilities are now reduced to the new, lower level. Likewise, the character loses any ability score gain, skill ranks, and any feat associated with the level (if applicable). If the exact ability score or skill ranks increased from a level now lost is unknown (or the player has forgotten), lose 1 point from the highest ability score or ranks from the highest-ranked skills. If a familiar or companion creature has abilities tied to a character who has lost a level, the creature’s abilities are adjusted to fit the character’s new level.
The victim’s experience point total is immediately set to the midpoint of the previous level.
Step 2: Burn all of your available XP making stuff.
Step 3: Get a restoration cast on you, removing the negative level and resetting your XP to the minimum for your original level.
Repeat as necessary. This does cost you 100gp per casting, but that's a pittance compared to what you'll be saving by making all of your own gear. Obw it needs some artificer juice to fit my portable hole with Omunculi:

Collar of apprentice wight
Command Undead – Continuous [2x3x2000 x1/2] 6000gp
Bracelets of good undead
Halt Undead – Command W. 50 Char. [2x3x1800 x1/2 ] 5400gp

Imbue one to embue them all - aka: reducing "Multiple different abilities" cost increase Cost increase for adding properties/build object with different abilities is x1.5 ... stacking about 25 differetn enchatments with 1.5 cost increase was to expensive... AS you suggest splitting properties between different parts is the way. But then arrived a flash of inspiration: Full plate cover all body parts of dnd rules (rings exluded, btw) so i can apply "Multiple different abilities - Multiply lower item cost by 1.5" 12 times ( by DND rules, body has 12 slots) having the 12 most expensive enchantment not multiplied and charge items separated for replacing without spending x1.5 cost to add a new property.

Finally enchatments. Core only i couldn't find something better, if you know, please tell me :D

Weaponry - Ready to get Quikened :D
Missiles - M. Missile Empowered – 50 Charges [2+1x8x750] 18000gp
Unibeam - Lightning Bolt Empowered – 50 Charges 3/d [2+3x8x750 x3/5] 18000gp
Repulsor - Sorching Ray Empowered – 50 Charges [2+2x7x750] 21000gp
Static Charge - Invoke Lightning – Command Word 2/d [3x5x1800 x2/5] 10800gp
ECM - Dispel Magic - 50 Charges 3/d [3x8x750 x 3/5] 10800gp
Combat Exoskeleton - Divine Power – 50 Charges 3/d [4x7x750 x3/5] 12600gp

Shielding
Hardned Shield - Magic Immunity [Dispel Magic] – 50 Charges 3/d [4x8x750] 14400gp
Repulsor field - Magic Resistance 50 Charges 3/d [4x7x750 x3/5] 12600gp
Shield – Continuous [1x1x2000 x2] 4000gp
Entropic Shield – Continuous [1x1x2000 x2] 4000gp
Shield of Faith – Continuous [1x1x2000 x2] 4000gp
Resistence – Continuous [1/2x1x2000] 1000gp

Software
Anti Thief - Sleep Symbol – Command Word 1/d [5x9x1800 x 1/5] 16200gp
Allarm – Command Word [1x1x1800] 1800gp
iFind my Owner - Localize Creature – Command Word 1/d [4x7x1800 x1/5] 10000gp
iCame to my Owner - Teleport – Command Word 1/d [5x9x1800 x2/5] 8100gp
Cloak Nanosuit (http://crysis.wikia.com/wiki/CryNet_Nanosuit) - Invisibility – Command Word 3/d [2x3x1800 3/5] 6480gp
Alter Self – Continuous [1x1x2000 x2] 4000gp
Agumented Reality - True Seeing – Command Word 1/d [5x9x1800 x2/5] 8100gp
Detect thoughts – Command Word 2/d [2x3x1800 x2/5] 4350gp
See invisibility – Command Word 2/d [2x3x1800 x2/5] 4350gp
Detect Magic – Continuous [1/2x1x2000 x2] 2000gp
Hardware
Life Support - Restoration – Command Word 1/d [4x7x1800 x 1/5 + 50x100gp] 15080gp
Restoration, Lesser – Command Word [2x3x1800] 10800gp
Cure Light Wounds – Command Word [1x1x1800] 1800gp
Underwater System - Breathe Underwater – Command Word 1/d [3x5x1800 x 1/5] 5400gp
Self Propulsion - Fly – Command Word 2/d [3x5x1800 x2/5] 11200gp
Expeditous Retreat – Continuous [1x1x2000 x2] 4000gp
Unseen Servant – Continuous [1x1x2000] 2000gp
Fancy Arc Reactor Light - Light – Continuous [1/2x1x2000] 1000gp

TuggyNE
2013-05-02, 09:03 PM
But then arrived a flash of inspiration: Full plate cover all body parts of dnd rules (rings exluded, btw) so i can apply "Multiple different abilities - Multiply lower item cost by 1.5" 12 times ( by DND rules, body has 12 slots) having the 12 most expensive enchantment not multiplied and charge items separated for replacing without spending x1.5 cost to add a new property.

That's not how it works, because full plate does not, in fact, cover any slots besides the armor/robe slot. It has non-magical gauntlets/boots/helmet/bracers included that can be replaced with magical versions that are enchanted separately.