PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Eldritch Conduit

Blyte
2013-04-29, 11:35 PM
glad to see the playground back online!

going to be roasting some trolls soon in kingmaker, and I think I found my combo.

Eldritch Conduit (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/e/eldritch-conduit) + Burning Hands

I am looking forward to hitting my party paladin with this spell then firing burning hands through him. He will get to play Firebat by proxy.

I just wish the duration was longer, but I think I can swing it with multiple castings.

I really like the spell cast on the party tank combo, glad I thought about using it on a friendly target. I just wish detonate was an insta-cast spell.. too bad it's got a time delay. Would be amazing using the spell offensively with detonates.

Keneth
2013-04-30, 02:08 AM
Why waste 2 rounds to cast one spell? Why use burning hands if you can use scorching ray or any other 2nd level blasting spell? It just seems a waste of actions.

stack
2013-04-30, 07:45 AM
I'm sure there are some fun combos, especially once you can quicken it, but I agree that burning hands is probably not at the top of the list. Though greater is the same level as quicken, so for using friendlies that would be better as a pre-buff. For offensive use quickening it could still work. Just need spells that you normally wouldn't cast because of potential friendly fire or self-damage issues.

Blyte
2013-04-30, 08:04 AM
Why waste 2 rounds to cast one spell? Why use burning hands if you can use scorching ray or any other 2nd level blasting spell? It just seems a waste of actions.

well scorching rays require to-hit rolls and getting them past the party tank, requires hard to-hit rolls since I don't have precise or improved precise shot.

also this method keeps unintelligent monsters like trolls more incline to focus on the glowing guy in their face with a flame thrower than the guy trailing behind seemingly doing nothing.

edit: and also the spell has a round/level duration, so I can get off plenty of burning hands in a cast. it's a one round casting tax i'm willing to pay, and also very easily pre-buffed if you anticipate the fight.

and never mind what I was saying earlier, this spell is PERFECT for detonates. I was confusing the instant cast qualifier of fractions of heal harm.

also, and burning hands (with the right set up) can do as much or MORE than scorching rays. a sorcerer can do 10d4+20 to an area target with the right build, and easily empowered or widened with meta magics.

Occasional Sage
2013-04-30, 08:33 AM
edit: and also the spell has a round/level duration, so I can get off plenty of burning hands in a cast. it's a one round casting tax i'm willing to pay, and also very easily pre-buffed if you anticipate the fight.

Careful with your expectations: the duration is one round per level OR UNTIL USED, which is hidden in the text.

stack
2013-04-30, 08:34 AM
Thus kicking it from interesting to extremely situational.

Fouredged Sword
2013-04-30, 08:45 AM
The greater version is good as a prebuff. The normal version is very questionable.

Xerxus
2013-04-30, 08:51 AM
What would happen if you cast prismatic sphere through it?

Keneth
2013-04-30, 09:23 AM
well scorching rays require to-hit rolls and getting them past the party tank, requires hard to-hit rolls since I don't have precise or improved precise shot.

Trolls are large and have reach on top of that. If your target (or space you are targeting) is at least 10 feet away from your allies, you get no penalty for firing in melee. It's also unlikely they'll have soft cover, so no penalty there either. Scorching rays are perfect for trolls.

edit: and also the spell has a round/level duration, so I can get off plenty of burning hands in a cast.

The spell immediately ends once you cast a spell through the creature.

also, and burning hands (with the right set up) can do as much or MORE than scorching rays. a sorcerer can do 10d4+20 to an area target with the right build, and easily empowered or widened with meta magics.

Sure, at about 7th level at the soonest, with Intesified Spell, and a crossbloded sorcerer. Those are some heavy prerequisites. At that level you can also cast a fireball for 10d6+20 damage in a larger radius, and for single targets, a scorching ray dealing 12d6+24 damage with no save is still the better option.

Burning hands is mostly useful at lower levels, or if you can't/don't want to cast higher level spells.

Blyte
2013-04-30, 10:19 AM
my DM would disagree on your take on firing past the tank in a hallway at even a large creature. he would state it's in combat and you are firing past your tank providing cover, and it's a -8. I'm not saying I agree with it, but it's what I live with. ranged touch attacks are no fly zoned in my games =/

I failed to notice the line saying the spell ends immediately when you cast through it. what a garbage spell.

Keneth
2013-04-30, 10:38 AM
A hallway is really the only way they do get both cover and in-melee bonus. But you shouldn't be fighting in a hallway anyway, unless you're funneling enemies. You're good as long as you can fire at them from the side or from behind.

Edit: But if it's a 10-foot wide hallway, they don't get cover anyway unless there's two tanks in front of you. Plus, if they're attacking from reach, they're not in melee as per the RAW. If it's a 5-foot wide hallway, they have to squeeze and take -4 to AC. Either way, it's effectively only a -4 to attack at the most.

Suddo
2013-04-30, 10:56 AM
The best I can come up is using this to cast AntiMagic Field on the party Fighter. Though this doesn't seem that good of an idea either.

stack
2013-04-30, 11:05 AM
Detonate on enemy mooks, as previously mentioned. Could work on summoned elementals too.

AMF on an enemy with a low will save but high magic dependance?

Fouredged Sword
2013-04-30, 11:30 AM
No, AMF on your pet raven who flys up to the flying sorcerer. One has non-magical flight, the other... well... splat.

Chained Birds
2013-04-30, 12:08 PM
No, AMF on your pet raven who flys up to the flying sorcerer. One has non-magical flight, the other... well... splat.

I was thinking this too. Cast on a tiny (or smaller) companion, and send them out for a sneak attack AMF or something silly... Though the Faerie Fire may make it difficult to be sneaky...

Fouredged Sword
2013-04-30, 12:25 PM
The glowing effect ends when the AMF activates.

Blyte
2013-04-30, 02:10 PM
A hallway is really the only way they do get both cover and in-melee bonus. But you shouldn't be fighting in a hallway anyway, unless you're funneling enemies. You're good as long as you can fire at them from the side or from behind.

Edit: But if it's a 10-foot wide hallway, they don't get cover anyway unless there's two tanks in front of you. Plus, if they're attacking from reach, they're not in melee as per the RAW. If it's a 5-foot wide hallway, they have to squeeze and take -4 to AC. Either way, it's effectively only a -4 to attack at the most.

the trolls in kingmaker AP 2 evidently have some kinda fort, so I am anticipating hallways, likely 10ft halls.

I typically have 1 other player with me, usually a pally. I was planning to try funnelling the trolls and letting the pally stand there are banter with them, while I melt them with burning hands in stereo.

I think I will instead get snapdragon fireworks going and use my uber magic missiles to melt them down. If I need to cover flanks, I will use create pit I suppose.