PDA

View Full Version : Help a (templated) half-ogre out?

gurgleflep
2013-04-30, 12:46 AM
Heya folks! I'm currently playing in a campaign as a half-ogre from Savage Species with the Fiend Folio's Half-Illithid template* using this homebrew class. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15061339&postcount=1) We'll be starting off at tenth level (three of us in total, excluding the DM).

We did three sets of rolls each and were allowed to choose our best set. I came out with the following:
18, 15, 13, 12, 16, 13.

I need help with what I should do, most of what we're going to be doing is fighting drow, orcs, undead, and many things from the underdark.

Other than me, the party has a half-elf dragonborn paladin and an amphibious drow half-fey lolth-touched rogue (or GM/DM is very lenient!).

*The Half-Illithid isn't something I necessarily need, so it can be removed.

Flickerdart
2013-04-30, 01:29 AM
That's a bit of a vague question. What sort of fighting style are you after?

gurgleflep
2013-04-30, 01:34 AM
That's a bit of a vague question. What sort of fighting style are you after?

Basically, I'm wanting to be the huge hulking behemoth with the greataxe up in the front of combat protecting the rest of the team to the best of my abilities.

Edit: I'm sorry if this is still too vague.

Flickerdart
2013-04-30, 02:49 AM
In that case you're probably best off going Crusader and picking up all those maneuvers that encourage people to attack you and not your allies, or given your party members' class choices, Knight or something. Barbarian-Psywar mix doesn't really give you anything towards your stated goal.

Honestly though, given that your party is composed of three melee characters, they probably won't want you to stand between them and the enemy. You'd be better off creating more favourable conditions for them to fight in, which with a brute build means tripping, mostly (though various bull-rush tactics to keep people who get through your zone of control from doing too much harm would also be useful - the Knockback feat should take care of this contingency). Use Expansion to bulk up as big as you can, grab a reach weapon, and you're set. Make sure you have some way to fight at range, too, since the paladin is going to be completely useless in that case, and the rogue's SLAs won't help you against a wide range of opponents.