PDA

View Full Version : Ritual ideas for Incantations

Fyermind
2013-04-30, 01:12 AM
So in case people care what I originally posted, I have spoilered it. Because incantations were brought to my attention, the nature of my request has changed a very small amount. I want help coming up with ideas for the requirements for various rituals. I want help figuring out how hard it should be for the players to create new incantations (I'm thinking very hard, but possible in many cases if they wanted a specific case of a specific spell really badly).

I'm also considering having this replace a lot of their acquisition of major loot. I like the feeling of independent characters, and if enemies want their knowledge not their stuff it gives me an excuse not to kill them if they lose.

So I want to replace the magic system (or at least the more powerful spells) with a ritual system that any character can gain access to. I want casting to feel epic, and for it to make sense when I say "no, you can't just cast this spell" in the descriptions of how they cast other spells.

Each ritual has any number of the following components:
Knowledge component: This is a check DC of some sort to even know what to do. Failing the check gives a failure chance based on how badly the check was failed.
Ritual Time: anywhere from a swift action to years
Ritual Participants: at least one, no more than four in most cases.
Material Components: trivial components might just have GP costs, but the important components are hard to find. If I don't want the PCs spamming a spell, I give it a rare material component.
Location focus: Certain rituals have to happen in certain types of places. This makes getting to a place they can cast it an adventure, and allows me to make site based adventures.
Calendar Component: Some spells can only be cast at certain times
Material Focus: This could be really large or very portable.
Verbal Component: You have to speak certain words
Somatic Component: You have to wave your hands and fingers just right.
Experience component: Some spells require you spend experience to cast them.

Not every spell would have all of these. Basic healing rituals would be available at dawn with almost trivial knowledge checks an easily created blessed water material component, and a holy symbol focus.

I am looking for ideas for what specific components of these types might be as well as any components and focuses I might have forgotten are.

Fyermind
2013-04-30, 01:14 AM
Components:
Knowledge component

Every character ritual points that function like skill points for ritual skills. They are divided by school. Each class gains access to some schools as class schools and gains 2, 4, or 6 ritual points per level.
The base DC is 15 + 3*Spell level
Certain modifiers help like speaking the language the verbal component is in, having witnessed the ritual before, or having a material explaining how to cast it, or having a living teacher who knows how to do it.

Ritual Time

Spells that should be available at a moment's notice (mostly evocations) have relatively short ritual times. Rituals with permanent effects take a long time. Always. No exceptions.

Ritual Participants

This number is one by default. It is the number of people who must succeed on the knowledge component check (noting that there is a bonus if someone who has succeeded is helping). Numbers above the typical adventuring party should be rare, and used for particularly fantastic effects (such as damaging spells with quick casting times or battlefield control spells)

Material Components

Most spells have some unique material component that must be adventured for or acquired specially.
Many spells also have some basic wealth expenditure component for common material components such as incense, inks, and precious metals.

Unique components might be
Portion of an life form
Living sprig of a plant
A living creature that will be ritually killed during the spell
Dirt from the grave of a vampire

Calendar Component

A time of day, phase of the moon, season, day of the year, arrangement of stars, or specific year required to cast the spell.

Verbal Component

Verbal components are in some language. If you are creating a new spell, it will be in whatever language you think in. Otherwise it might not be in a language you know. Some spells are so old they aren't in any living language at all.

Somatic Component

I don't have any ideas for how to make these epic.

Experience component

Permanent buffs have experience component costs. They should not be the norm for plot required spells though.

Feel free to post now!

Gildedragon
2013-04-30, 01:24 AM
I'd say that specifying the verbal components might feel a bit.
for a start I'd recomend eyeballing: incantations, a variant rule on the SRD http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm

Arbane
2013-04-30, 01:30 AM
Don't forget Divine (or Demonic) favor. Trying to summon the Dread Minion of Kvarohaz won't work if Kvarohaz doesn't want it to.

nobodez
2013-04-30, 01:38 AM
Yeah, as much as I hate to say it, there's no need to reinvent the wheel. Just gra Invocations from UA/SRD/d20 Modern's Urban Arcana and be done with it.

thorr-kan
2013-04-30, 10:41 AM
I'll dogpile on the suggestion to use incantations.

Additionally, Zombie Sky Press has two good .pdfs of more incantations. They've compiled them into book if you're addicted to hardcopy.