View Full Version : Tips for a PF Barbarian Sorcerer

Gabe the Bard
2013-04-30, 01:53 AM
I'm trying to build a 13th-level Half-orc Barbarian Sorcerer for an ongoing Pathfinder game I'm hoping to join soon. The problem is I've never played Pathfinder, mostly just 3.5 and 2nd edition. And while I'm trying to familiarize myself with the rules, I don't have any in-game experience. I expect most things to be similar or the same as 3.5, especially the spells, but I've having a hard time settling on a bloodline and feats, so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for a PF gish. I'm imagining a character partly inspired by Elric of Melnibone, relying on rage, potions and spells for temporary martial prowess, but being a spellcaster for most situations and only resorting to physical combat as a last resort (though I think Elric might have been the other way around). Some ideas I've had include using Contingency to have Enlarge Person or Stoneskin cast whenever I Rage. I just think that would have a nice visual touch to have the character grow large or gain DR when he rages. I'm trying to keep it mostly to Core options as I'm not sure what else my DM will be open to, though I am hoping to get the Orc bloodline, but if that's not possible then maybe the Abyssal bloodline as a fallback.

Arbane
2013-04-30, 02:11 AM
PF is pretty much like 3.5, so no big deal there. It does have extras, like the sorceror's bloodline powers and such.

For a Barbarian/Sorc, that's a tough combo to pull off. Take a look at the Eldritch Knight PrC, maybe? Or better yet, the Magus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus) base class - it's specifically for spellcasting melee types, and it even has an archetype that gets an intelligent black sword bound to them.... :smallbiggrin:

Gabe the Bard
2013-04-30, 02:17 AM
I've looked at the Magus class, and while I'm attracted by the prospect of casting arcane spells in heavy armor, I'm a bit put off by the 6th-level spell limit and the need to prepare spells every day. If there was a Favored Soul class in Pathfinder, I might lean towards that, because I'm heavily in favor of spontaneous casting. That's why I'm thinking Barbarian 1/Sorcerer X. The idea of using potions is partly for fluff, and partly for the material component needed to cast Transformation, a Potion of Bull's Strength.

BWR
2013-04-30, 02:40 AM
The Oracle class from Advanced Player's Guide is similar to the Favored Soul.
It's less focused on combat, but has some niftier caster options.

Holocron Coder
2013-04-30, 08:08 AM
How about a Oracle (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle) with the Metal (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/mysteries/paizo---oracle-mysteries/metal) Mystery?

As far as I can tell, and have heard, that's basically Favored Soul :smallsmile:

navar100
2013-04-30, 08:39 AM
I've looked at the Magus class, and while I'm attracted by the prospect of casting arcane spells in heavy armor, I'm a bit put off by the 6th-level spell limit and the need to prepare spells every day. If there was a Favored Soul class in Pathfinder, I might lean towards that, because I'm heavily in favor of spontaneous casting. That's why I'm thinking Barbarian 1/Sorcerer X. The idea of using potions is partly for fluff, and partly for the material component needed to cast Transformation, a Potion of Bull's Strength.

Sincere question, what is it about barbarian that makes you want to have 1 level in it then be a sorcerer all the way through from then on? Do you intend to fight in combat? Just need the hit points? A roleplaying aid?

However, as mentioned Oracle is the "Favored Soul" class for Pathfinder. Various mysteries offer different styles of play. If you want to be a combatant, the Mysteries of Battle, Metal, and Ancestors provide various class abilities to facilitate. As you're new to Pathfinder, a "Mystery" is a theme, similar in game mechanics to a Sorcerer's bloodline. You get a set of bonus spells and class features to choose from depending on the Mystery that reflect what the Mystery is all about.

Gabe the Bard
2013-04-30, 09:15 AM
Sincere question, what is it about barbarian that makes you want to have 1 level in it then be a sorcerer all the way through from then on? Do you intend to fight in combat? Just need the hit points? A roleplaying aid?

I liked the idea of a half-orc barbarian "discovering" his sorcerer's lineage later in life and then trying to reconcile that with his barbarian upbringings. Also, I thought the inherent strength bonuses that you get as an abyssal sorcerer, or orc sorcerer, would be a nice boost. I wasn't too concerned with BAB since I would be casting Transformation anyway before wading into battle.

But mainly, it's just something I've never played before. I've almost always played full casters, and the furthest I've ever gone from that was an arcane trickster. I figured one level in barbarian or fighter wouldn't hurt my spellcasting too much, and pathfinder seemed to make it easier to go barbarian since you can break up your rage by rounds instead of just raging once or twice per day.

However, favored soul is something else I've always wanted to try, and I'm glad to hear that there's a pathfinder equivalent. I didn't know about the Oracle before, and I'm grateful for the suggestion. I'll definitely look into it.

Slipperychicken
2013-04-30, 11:24 AM
Go Oracle, take the Lame curse which gives you immunity to exhaustion (classes other than Oracle still progress the curse at half speed, so an Oracle1/Barbarian8 would work), a bunch of one-per-rage powers like Knock-down and Unexpected Strike, then rage-cycle to your heart's delight.

I've actually got a build idea. Urban Barbarian12/Oracle1 with the Battle mystery (either the weapon focus one or the stoneskin one), have a high Dex and put your Controlled Rage into it. Take Combat Reflexes, Raging Vitality, Power Attack, Unexpected Strike, Come And Get Me, Knockdown, Step Up, and some others. Basically, everything the enemy does (including attacking you and taking 5ft steps) will provoke attacks of opportunity from you, which you will use to trip him and wreck his face.

Kilbourne
2013-05-01, 04:30 AM
The best synergy of spellcasting and barbarian that I know of is the Rage Prophet prestige class, in which you can easily 'rage cycle' (turn on and off Rage as a free action to cast/reset '1/rage' powers, and manage rage-rounds) by taking the Lame curse. You also get major bonuses to your spell DC's, so the Rage Prophet is best with control and debuff spells, coupled with anything that enhances your melee prowess.

Gensh
2013-05-01, 12:01 PM
If you don't mind the somewhat restrictive spell list, then Barbarian 1/Scarred Witch Doctor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-orc/scarred-witch-doctor-witch-orc) 12. You have to be a full orc, which is somewhat problematic if you wanted to have really good mental stats, but even with 25 point buy, I had the resources to get a 12 Int, much more than anyone expects from an orc anyway (granted, 6 Wis and 6 Cha means he's basically Hulk with nerd glasses). Since intend to avoid melee combat rather than focusing on it like I did, you can afford to move some points around to reach at least 10s in the others.

charcoalninja
2013-05-01, 12:46 PM
Baseline half orcs count as orcs for meeting prereqs and if not there's a feat I think that further boosts that.

But if you really want a good mix, go barbarian / oracle with the lame curse. At level 5 you become immune to fatigue and therefore can simply rage cycle to your hearts content. Take a Mystery that's magicy enough for you and you have your guy.

Oracle with the Battle Mastery is basically a fighter with full casting anyway so if you want to be meleeing it has crazy good synergy with Barbarian. Oh, actually go Battle Mystery anyway, as you can simply CHOOSE a casty spell selection and use your mysteries for making your occational last resort melee ventures more badass.

Gabe the Bard
2013-05-03, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! Oracle with the Battle mystery looks really great. That's just what I was looking for.

I'll probably be going Barbarian 1 / Oracle X with the lame curse.

I'm trying to keep the options mostly in core because I think my GM probably won't be open to stuff outside the Core Rule Book and the Advanced Players Guide. The group already has a full cleric, so I'll probably going for more of a melee style with backup healing.

Here's what the build looks like right now (the spells with * are the extra cure spells and mystery spells):

Toba, Barbarian 1 / Oracle of Battle 11
Half-orc, Chaotic Good

Lame Curse

Battle Mystery
1 Weapon Mastery (Greataxe)
3 Battlefield Clarity
7 Combat Healer
11 Iron Skin

FEATS
1 Combat Casting
3 Improved Initiative
5 Toughness
7 Lightning Reflexes
9 Still Spell
11 Quicken Spell

SKILLS
Intimidate
Perception
Craft Weaponsmithing
Craft Armormaking

SPELLS
Create Water
Detect Magic
Detect Poison
Guidance
Light
Mending
Purify Food and Drink
Read Magic
Stabilize
Cure Light Wounds *
Enlarge Person *
Remove Fear
Divine Favor
Deathwatch
Bless Water
Hide from Undead
Cure Moderate Wounds *
Fog Cloud *
Consecrate
Delay Poison
Lesser Restoration
Remove Paralysis
Resist Energy
Cure Serious Wounds *
Magic Vestment *
Magic Circle Against Evil
Invisibility Purge
Remove Blindness
Speak with Dead
Cure Critical Wounds*
Wall of Fire *
Divine Power
Freedom of Movement
Holy Smite
Cure Light Wounds, Mass *
Righteous Might *
Command, Greater
Flame Strike

navar100
2013-05-03, 05:45 PM
Two spells you're really, really going to want are from Advanced Player's Guide, Grace and Blessing of Fervor.

Grace is a 2nd level spell. It's a swift action to cast (no AoO). Until the end of your turn you do not provoke an AoO for moving. As a spontaneous caster you get to cast it whenever and where ever you want. That will be a big help to move about the battlefield, including getting into range to attack an opponent with reach even when charging.

Blessing of Fervor is a 4th level spell. It's a party buff which you can include yourself. It's a lot like a Haste spell with some more options, such as cast a 2nd level spell Silenced, Stilled, Extended, or Enlarged, stand up from prone without provoking an AoO, +2 to hit, AC, and reflex saves, and more. Your party will love you for it. Personal opinion it's even better than Divine Power for the spell slot. You can still get the extra attack on a full attack.