PDA

View Full Version : Orcling (Halfling + Orc) [3.5 Race, PEACH]

Quirken
2013-04-30, 02:58 AM
The rare byproduct of a union between an aggressive halfling male and a mellow orc female, Orclings are strong, agile, but mentally, not much sharper than a butter knife. Due to their unique heritage, Orclings look like small, ferocious humans. Orclings usually are between around 3'4" and 4' tall, and weigh between 40-60lbs. Orcling facial hair grows quickly; many struggle with the desire to look clean and the impracticality of daily shaving while out in the wilderness. A well-groomed Orcling might be able to pass himself off as a thin dwarf or a tall halfling, but most people will notice there's something a little off about his appearance.

Orclings are usually raised in a halfling community, but have been known to be adopted by dwarves oblivious to their orc heritage. It is nearly unheard of for Orclings to live with Orcs, as they tend to feel uncomfortably out of place because of their small stature and comparatively calm demeanor. However, in one-on-one interactions, orcs and orclings work together well, even though they have a tendency to not fully trust each other.

Halfling society, for the most part, considers Orclings to be halflings, but most halflings are a little nervous in their presence. Due to their physical prowess, orclings in halfling society often help with manual labor, or occasionally become craftsmen. Orclings are friendly, but gruff and quick to anger, much like dwarves. Like halflings, they tend to be nomadic, wandering to where they feel useful.

Strongheart Orcling Racial Traits

+2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence (min 3), -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma. Orclings inherit their agility from their halfling parent and strength from their orc parent. While this leaves them quite capable physically, their mental faculties are rather dull.
Humanoid (Orc, Halfling). Orclings are humanoid with both the orc and halfling subtypes. They are eligible for racial feats that require orc or halfling heritage.
Small (+1 AC, +1 attack, +4 hide, smaller weapons)
Base land speed: 20ft. However, due to their orc heritage, orclings can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
Strongheart Orclings gain one extra feat at 1st level, because they have a strong drive to prove themselves and many opportunities to hone their skills.
+2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, and Move Silently checks.
+2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear.
+2 racial bonus on disguise when trying to look like a halfling or dwarf.
+2 racial bonus on Listen checks.
Automatic Languages: Common, Halfling, and Orc. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, and Undercommon.

Arcanist
2013-04-30, 04:09 AM
This... Why? Why? :smallfrown:

Honestly, I'd suggest that you remove the "Strongheart" reference, but I cannot actually imagine any other type of Halfling having the grapes to... Erm... "Do the dew"

LordErebus12
2013-04-30, 04:36 AM
remove the random reference to Strongheart, maybe ditch the bonus feat.

Quirken
2013-04-30, 08:21 AM
This... Why? Why? :smallfrown:

That's exactly why :P

We're rebooting a campaign and I wanted a character with a race that was sure to cause people to chuckle. I saw MrSeth's dwelf (dwarf+elf) but didn't like the stat block for my character.

remove the random reference to Strongheart, maybe ditch the bonus feat.

Strongheart is where the bonus feat came from (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting). Since this is a homebrew race, I guess it's not necessary. Are you proposing removing it for balance reasons?

togapika
2013-04-30, 11:15 AM
Stat block is silly. You're basically saying that the strength and dexterity of the parent races come through, yet not only are they penalized as the Orc/Half-Orc were in terms of mental stats, but penalized even further in a way neither the Orc or Halfling were...

A more likely outcome would be something like +2 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Int, -2 Cha

Quirken
2013-04-30, 03:07 PM
Stat block is silly. You're basically saying that the strength and dexterity of the parent races come through, yet not only are they penalized as the Orc/Half-Orc were in terms of mental stats, but penalized even further in a way neither the Orc or Halfling were...

A more likely outcome would be something like +2 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Int, -2 Cha

They're not penalized any further, just combined. I agree that the mental stats suck, but getting a bonus to both strength and dex is pretty good for a melee-centric character. And a small-sized one, to boot!

Orcs are
+4 Strength, –2 Intelligence, –2 Wisdom, –2 Charisma

Halflings are
–2 Strength, +2 Dexterity

Sum is
+2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 mental stats

How exactly is it penalizing them "further?" Are you saying that because you don't have the orc's full +4 strength, the mental penalties are too high?

togapika
2013-05-16, 07:04 PM
A race might be suited towards one type of role versus another, but no race should ever be completely shoehorned in that regard.

Quirken
2013-05-16, 07:32 PM
A race might be suited towards one type of role versus another, but no race should ever be completely shoehorned in that regard.

Makes sense, thanks!