PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Ranger Fighter C&C Needed

Count_Jaschk
2013-04-30, 06:21 AM
So my paladin got to abaddon and decided to stay there on a one-man crusade against the four horsemen, which means it's time to make a new character. Being tired of playing the Awefull Stupid paladin I've decided to make a two-weapon fighting whirlwind of bleed damage and even more bleed on critical hits.
So with no further ado, here's what I've got so far. Starting at level 10

Human Ranger 2 // Fighter 8
Ability Scores (base, rolled)
Str 17 +1 advance +1 enhance = 20
Dex 18 + 2 racial + 2 enhance = 22
Con 16
Int 14
Wis 15 +1 advance = 16
Cha 9

Ranger 1: feats EWP: Falcata,Combat Reflexes
Ranger 2: Combat style: TWF
Ranger 2 // Fighter 1 feats: TWDefend, Step up
Ranger 2 // Fighter 2 feats: Double Slice
Ranger 2 // Fighter 3 feats: Iron Will
Ranger 2 // Fighter 4 feats: Improved TWF
Ranger 2 // Fighter 5 feats: Weapon Finesse
Ranger 2 // Fighter 6 feats: Improved Critical: Falcata
Ranger 2 // Fighter 7 feats: Improved Critical: Kukri
Ranger 2 // Fighter 8 feats: Critical Focus

Now, my plan for future feats obviously includes Bleeding Critical and Greater TWF but beyond that I'm at a loss of ideas. Might have a look at the Urban Barbarian for their ability to boost one of the physical ability scores, but other than that, I'll stick with fighter levels

Gear= 62.000 gp budget at level 10
+1 wounding falcata
+1 wounding kukri
belt of +2 str and dex
boots+cloak of elven kind

As stated in the title, C&C is needed. Thanks for taking the time to read it through :)

(yay, the spoiler bb code worked xD )

Person_Man
2013-04-30, 08:36 AM
So you've chosen two of the weakest classes (Fighter and Ranger), a long list of weak Feats (TWF tree, Crit tree, Iron Will), and a weak combo (critical hits). Are you locked into all of these choices and you just want advice on the margins of how to pull it off, or are you open to different classes, Feats, or combos?

Xerxus
2013-04-30, 09:04 AM
Wouldn't exactly call critical hits weak, but they definitely haven't kicked in at level 10. Though if I could make some changes... I'd remove the ranger levels and put in more fighter levels, get the twoweapon warrior archetype, drop the falcata and get another kukri, get rid of twoweapon defense, iron will isn't bad but I wouldn't take it anyway, drop the weapon finesse and put those two points of dexterity into strength, maybe put those feats into the weapon focus tree and most importantly: Make sure that I actually want to play a twf with all that it entails.

Amphetryon
2013-04-30, 09:59 AM
Wouldn't exactly call critical hits weak, but they definitely haven't kicked in at level 10. Though if I could make some changes... I'd remove the ranger levels and put in more fighter levels, get the twoweapon warrior archetype, drop the falcata and get another kukri, get rid of twoweapon defense, iron will isn't bad but I wouldn't take it anyway, drop the weapon finesse and put those two points of dexterity into strength, maybe put those feats into the weapon focus tree and most importantly: Make sure that I actually want to play a twf with all that it entails.

Crits are relatively weak because they require a large amount of support from Feats and equipment in order to function as a primary shtick, and by the time the requisite Feats and equipment are readily available in standard WBL, effective countermeasures are plentiful, as are a wide swath of opponents who just don't care about being critted.

Person_Man
2013-04-30, 11:20 AM

+1 on what Amphetryon said.

Also, consider math.

In your best case scenario (when attacking an enemy with low AC), you will threaten to crit 6/20 (30%) of the time. And then you will confirm that crit 19/20 (95%) of the time (1 always fails). So you have a 28.5% (.3 * .95) chance of getting double damage plus whatever extra effect(s) you've gained from crit centric abilities/Feats. If your enemy has modestly good AC, that number drops dramatically.

So it's an unreliable way to add fairly modest bonuses to damage and extra effects, and it's very Feat intensive to pull off.

Xerxus
2013-04-30, 11:45 AM
Hence the two weapon fighting. If you have six attacks per turn (albeit some very weak ones)it will be that much more likely to happen. Considering the advantage of making your opponent exhausted without a save etc, it's at least better than just dealing damage. As for the AC issue, I think the same argument could be made for SR and high saves versus spellcasters.

Amphetryon
2013-04-30, 12:20 PM
Hence the two weapon fighting. If you have six attacks per turn (albeit some very weak ones)it will be that much more likely to happen. Considering the advantage of making your opponent exhausted without a save etc, it's at least better than just dealing damage. As for the AC issue, I think the same argument could be made for SR and high saves versus spellcasters.

Generally, TWF compounds the issue by making each attack slightly less likely to hit, and by piling on another several Feats in order to make two different Feat Chains function as you'd like.

Xerxus
2013-04-30, 12:28 PM
Generally, TWF compounds the issue by making each attack slightly less likely to hit, and by piling on another several Feats in order to make two different Feat Chains function as you'd like.

By level 15 of two-weapon warrior you won't be getting that penalty and if your issue is with the feats, which feats would be better?

Amphetryon
2013-04-30, 12:40 PM
By level 15 of two-weapon warrior you won't be getting that penalty and if your issue is with the feats, which feats would be better?

Feats that don't require the completion of an entire chain in order to function are generally superior to those that do. The specific Feats that would be better depend upon available sources (is it 3.P or straight Pathfinder, for example) and the levels at which the game is actually played; it doesn't cost much to have to complete a Feat chain if the levels where said chain is incomplete are never actually contested.

Xerxus
2013-04-30, 12:48 PM
I know there are better feats in 3.5 but since you get so many feats as a human fighter in PF, assuming it's pathfinder exclusive I don't know which feats could replace the aforementioned ones and improve the character substantially.