PDA

View Full Version : Need some help outfitting a Dragoon themed Warblade.

Razgriez
2013-04-30, 10:37 AM
Hello again Playgrounders, got a few questions for you all to help me out here. As the title implies, I have a 10th level Warblade that needs to be equipped in the standard WBL of 49,000 GP, and I'm trying to make said character, to be like a Final Fantasy Dragoon. There is however, a bit of an extra catch to all this, as this character will only be around for a limited amount of time each game day (1 hr at most. See Game related plot info in spoilers explaining the said catch)

So in this campaign, each player actually has two characters, a lower level novice which is their normal character, and a high powered alternate character. Basically, the main, low level characters, had a case of "The Adventure finds you", when the Super Awesome Magic Item of Plot Advancement landed in their hands at the beginning. Turns out the home empire of the adventurers, is not as good as they once thought, and had been telling lies to the people that using small stones of power called "Shadowstones" being safe. These Shadowstones are infused with the essence of creatures from a near Apocalyptic event a century or two ago, that if a user prolongs their use to them, will forever change them (often for the worse). The party however, has acquired from it's previous, late owner, an amulet that instead, contains the power and being of a group of powerful adventurers that disappeared at least 5 yrs before the current events of the game. Activating this golden amulet, for a total of 1 hr/game day of total combined use amongst all, allows the novices to use them selves, as a vessel for these trapped souls to take over, taking on their form, last held equipment, skills, memories (though these are hazy to them,), overall power as well as their wills and mannerisms. My character, is soul linked now to that of the 10th level Neutral Good Warblade.

In layman's terms, it's short duration Super mode that swaps out our main characters for a different character that's 10 levels higher than them. Useful for bailing us out of "Oh crap!!! :smalleek:" situations, or to help point the party in correct direction should it get stuck not knowing what to do. And it's all in a easy to take away form for the DM to control when he needs us to not abuse said power (Or railroad for plot advancement, as one may choose to see it)

Here's what I have fleshed out so far for the character written up. (NOTE: The DM must approve Feats/Items outside of Core. PHB II, Complete Warrior, and most of Bo9S:ToB he's ok with. If it comes from outside of these, it either needs his approval, or he/I lack the proper books to draw info from. I've also have/can look through my copies of Races of Stone/Destiny, BoED, Arms and Equipment guide, Oriental Adventures, and even the old 3.0 Sword and Fist handbook, and other similar handbooks)

Human Warblade 10:
STR 22 (+5) (4th and 8th level Stat upgrades)
DEX 14 (+2)
CON 18 (+4)
INT 14 (+2)
WIS 12 (+1)
CHA 12 (+1)

Skills:
Balance (10 Ranks)
Concentration (13 ranks)
Diplomacy (13 Ranks)
Jump (13 Ranks)
Intimidate (13 Ranks)
Knowledge: History (8 Ranks)
Martial Lore (8 Ranks)
Tumble (13 Ranks)

Feats I have picked so far is Power attack and Combat Expertise and Improved Trip

Maneuvers Known (if any of this is wrong, let me know what I can or can't have, or if you have a suggestion, please provide it, this campaign is the first time I've played as a Warblade, or used the Martial Maneuver system):
Tiger Claw (Plan on using these for the Dragoon's Jump attacks):
-Claw At the Moon
--Death From Above

Diamond Mind:
-Emerald Razor
-Moment of Perfect Mind
--Ruby Nightmare Blade

Iron Heart:
-Wall of Blades
--Iron Heart Surge
--Mithril Tornado

Stances (3 Known)

--Punishing Stance (Iron Heart):
--Leaping Dragon Stance (Tiger Claw):
--Absolute Steel Stance (Iron heart):

Gear: Again, noting that due to limited time of usage per game day, I'm focusing more on Combat gear, not Exploration. 49,000 GP to spend
That said, I've only managed to decide the basics of Weapon and armor

Weapon: Main weapon MUST be a Halberd. I've been considering using a +1 Martial Adept (Likely Ironheart due to Stance selection), though not sure if I want Keen, or some other +1 equivalent enhancement. Alternatively, I've also been looking at the Halberd of Vaulting from Arms and Equipment guide (+2 Halberd with huge boost to Jump skill, and allows for a special Jump attack? Sounds good)
Secondary weapons includes Spiked Gauntlets

For the traditional Dragoon armor, I have gotten as far as saying "Well, it's going to be Spiked, and made from Mithril, and either Chainmail, Breastplate, or Full plate" Total cost of course is a major factor here, partly because I have to factor in the Mithril costs, and well, never dealt with spiked armor (which I blame on my early years of DND of thinking way too much on the old trope that spikes on armor, are always "Spikes of Villainy") I'm kinda ashamed to ask this, but if it is spiked, I take it Spikes have to be Master Crafted separately? (I know It's enchanted separately from the armor).

Wondrous Items/Rings wise, Looking at a +2 Gloves of Dex to maximize AC as well as rings. Belts/Gauntlets/Necklaces that boost STR/CON/INT, etc, or Resistances are things I'm also interested in.

So suggestions, advice, corrections?

thethird
2013-04-30, 10:41 AM
Are you familiar with the Guide to the Dragoon (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872838/Little_Red_Raiding_Hood:_A_Tale_of_38;_Guide_to_th e_3.5_Dragoon)?

Razgriez
2013-04-30, 10:53 AM
To be honest thethird, no. I've looked through multiple "handbooks" (including the Warblade guide on here) But I've never seen that particular guide.

Unfortunately, a look through it, is already turning up a number of red flags to the plan (Psionics have already been ruled a definitive "no" for this campaign by the DM, and a number of other ideas and feats, I'm lacking the proper book to look at them :smallfrown:) Though a few of the item suggestions are interesting.

HunterOfJello
2013-04-30, 11:02 AM
It had never actually occured to me before now that a Warblade can actually play as a Dragoon character. The Tiger Claw discipline definitely has enough jumping attacks to make it work.

I noticed that you grabbed Power Attack. You should consider grabbing the Leap Attack feat.

Leap Attack
Prereqs: Power Attack, Jump: 8 ranks
You can combine a jump with a charge against an opponent. If your jump covers at least 10’ of horizontal distance and end in a square which threatens your opponent, you deal +100% Power Attack damage.

That way you can do leaping charges towards an enemy and then normal Tiger Claw jumping attacks against them afterward.

thethird
2013-04-30, 11:04 AM
Considering the sources that you list I would give a look to the blade dancer (prc) in oriental adventures, it can be a good prc for what you intend to make.

Trasilor
2013-04-30, 12:34 PM
A few things to consider:

You can swap out lower level maneuvers for higher level ones as you gain levels. Unlike feats, you do not lose the maneuver if you no longer meet the prerequisites to take the maneuver.

Adaptive style - some of your maneuvers are very situational but every warblade should have them in his toolbox - emerald razor and IHS come to mind. You always want to have access to these maneuvers but you don't always want to have them readied. I find having a good balance of Boosts, Counters and Strikes very handy.

I am surprised you do not have Sudden Leap - Swift action to jump. Combined with leaping dragon stance = 20ft leap then full attack with DC 20 jump check. Combine with leap attack and power attack for full blown shenanigans. :smallamused:

You also may want to consider Dancing Blade Form - the as awesome as a Halberd is, it lacks reach. Being able to hit/trip baddies 10 ft from you is pretty cool.

Razgriez
2013-04-30, 06:32 PM
I appreciate the feat advice so far, it is helpful. Out of curiosity, is Spinning Halberd (CW) worth the feat investment?

I know likely some ToB experts are asking "Why not take Shards of Granite or Stormguard Warrior Tactical feats?" The answer, is because the DM didn't like the idea of "3 feats in one". :smallsigh:

So weapon wise: I' take it your all saying either get the Halberd of Vaulting, or a +1 Iron Heart Adept (with maybe boosting to a further +1 Bonus enchantment such as Energy type, or so)

Armor, well now I'm even more conflicted (Masterworking and/or Enchanting Dastanas, Chahar-Aina, and Chain shirt would be cheaper overall then Mithril Medium or Heavy armors) but of course that means +4 or higher Gloves of Dex to maximize. And still given that those two are Oriental Adventures based, and this is non-OA, not sure if DM will go for it. No go on Chahar-Aina and Dastanas >_<. So... back to the Chain Shirt vs. Mithril Breastpate vs. Mithril Full plate. (Remember base dex is 14) ideas.

Shyftir
2013-04-30, 07:45 PM
See if your DM would let you use Mithral Breastplate and add the armored kilt from pathfinder. (Pathfinder OGC armor page (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/armor))

Also seconding Leap Attack, possibly some Powerful Charge Shenanigans.

Razgriez
2013-04-30, 07:52 PM
So, Leap charge has been approved (Power attack x3? sure!)

As for the Armor kits? Yea no, the Kilt is going to be shot down even faster (The DM doesn't like that the additional armor pieces mentioned before, don't add further dex restrictions, and can be enchanted as well.)

Darrin
2013-04-30, 08:16 PM
Darkleaf Breastplate is cheaper. 2600 GP instead of 4200 GP. Darkleaf is in A&EG and Eberron Campaign Setting. That's probably the best light armor you're going to be able to find until you can afford the Half-Weight property (+3 enhancement, FR Underdark).