PDA

View Full Version : What's a class feature worth?

rockdeworld
2013-04-30, 10:39 AM
In an imaginary system where you advanced each class feature individually, how would you advance a factotum if you could only advance one item (hit dice, saves, skills, class abilities without spellcasting/slas, spellcasting/slas, feats 1/3 levels, ability score inceases 1/4 levels, 3/4 BAB) per level but gained levels 8 times as fast (with 160 levels, nothing epic)?

Would it change if you were a warblade, and replaced spellcasting/slas with maneuvers? What about druid?

Barsoom
2013-04-30, 12:01 PM
A lot of people will tell you they'd advance spells/sla's above everything else. At least for a class that can do without wading into melee. And that'd make for a very unbalanced game. Imagine a level 18 game (which is really level 2 or 3, because characters level up 8 times as fast), with characters throwing 9th level spells around .... is that what you really want?

Vizzerdrix
2013-04-30, 12:12 PM
The most powerful ability first, along with some HP. In this case it would be he spell casting, as higher level spells can make up for poor skills and bad saves.

As for "what's a class feature worth?" Shapesand is only 100 gold.

JaronK
2013-04-30, 03:25 PM
Class features have different values. The Swashbuckler's Grace ability (+1 Reflex Saves) is obviously something that would be very cheap. The War Hulk's No Time To Think is actually a penalty, and thus completely worthless. Meanwhile, Cunning Surge or spellcasting are HUGE and worth far more than skills or hit points.

So... it's all over the map really.

JaronK

Arc_knight25
2013-05-01, 07:17 AM
Is there a table somewhere with equivalent class features?

In UA the different varients swap out one class feature for another

i.e Fighter losses his feats for Sneak attack dmg. And I think vice-versa for the Rogue?

Cirrylius
2013-05-01, 06:34 PM
I was actually just wondering about something like this myself. I got a rogue with a dip in factotum, and I'm trying to find a way to dump the martial weapon proficiencies in exchange for something else 'cause they don't mesh with my character's established weapons/style of fighting.