PDA

View Full Version : Devotion feats without the associated domain?

Myrddin0001
2013-04-30, 11:01 AM
as the title asks. can you get a devotion feat without having the domain?

Barsoom
2013-04-30, 11:43 AM
Take a look at the feat text. Does it have "Prerequisite: access to <such and such> domain" ? Nope, it doesn't.

Myrddin0001
2013-04-30, 12:10 PM
Take a look at the feat text. Does it have "Prerequisite: access to <such and such> domain" ? Nope, it doesn't.

so this is matter of RAW versus RAI kind of situation?

Barsoom
2013-04-30, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure I agree with your implication that it was intended for the devotion feats to be taken only if you have access to the domain. Let's look at protection devotion:

Special
You can select this feat multiple times, gaining one additional daily use each time you take it. If you have the ability to turn or rebuke undead, you gain one additional daily use of this feat for each three daily turn or rebuke uses you expendAs you can see, even being a cleric is optional here. The text clearly implies you can take this feat even if you're not a cleric at all - let alone a cleric with the Protection domain.

animewatcha
2013-04-30, 12:16 PM
They can be taken provided you adhere to the 2 devotions ( 3rd if you use cleric ) limit as well can fit it into your character concept. IIRC, there is also the 'opposing' devotion like fire and water limit as well. It is easy to fit knowledge devotion onto any character, but highly improbable to get away with death devotion on a radiant servant of pelor.

-sidenote- ever since the site has been up from it's downtime, I haven't able to bold, underline, etc. There a FAQ somewhere that says the line of code does what? Can't even use the smiley faces.

Flickerdart
2013-04-30, 12:20 PM
You don't need the domain to have a devotion feat. Devotion feats are normal feats that can be taken by normal characters who meet the feat prerequisites. They also have the special quality of characters being able to acquire them by trading out domains, but this is an additional way to get them, not the only way.

SciChronic
2013-04-30, 12:33 PM
They can be taken provided you adhere to the 2 devotions ( 3rd if you use cleric ) limit as well can fit it into your character concept. IIRC, there is also the 'opposing' devotion like fire and water limit as well. It is easy to fit knowledge devotion onto any character, but highly improbable to get away with death devotion on a radiant servant of pelor.

-sidenote- ever since the site has been up from it's downtime, I haven't able to bold, underline, etc. There a FAQ somewhere that says the line of code does what? Can't even use the smiley faces.

water and fire aren't opposing, you are free to take both. The limit is like taking good and evil, law and chaos, life and death (situational). that said, you can still talk to your DM and give a reason for taking each devotion feat, i.e.: a true neutral could take law and chaos if they say that balance is everything, same for taking good and evil

The Fire domain does nor necessarily oppose Water, nor does Air conflict with Earth, since many nature deities (such as Obad-Hai) grant access to all the elemental domains

Flickerdart
2013-04-30, 01:25 PM
that said, you can still talk to your DM and give a reason for taking each devotion feat, i.e.: a true neutral could take law and chaos if they say that balance is everything, same for taking good and evil
If you balance everything, you can't be devoted to good or evil, never mind both.

killem2
2013-04-30, 02:03 PM
I always thought it was fine, since you get two if non cleric and if you ARE a cleric then you get an extra one, which is strong rules indicating they don't care.

Of course there is no prereq for it either. I believe there is a small spot in that text where it says it specifically is possible for someone who just is THAT devoted to their god they can take these feats.

SciChronic
2013-04-30, 09:11 PM
If you balance everything, you can't be devoted to good or evil, never mind both.

i was going more along the lines of "where light exists there is darkness, where there is warmth, there is cold, and where good, evil." this would result in a balanced devotion towards both as both are necessary to that person's view of the world.

Spuddles
2013-04-30, 09:19 PM
The whole idea of complete champion is to give your non-divine casters a closer connection with the divine via new mechanics.

TuggyNE
2013-04-30, 10:40 PM

It works fine for me, but use things like :smallcool:, , , and so on.

Flickerdart
2013-04-30, 10:47 PM
i was going more along the lines of "where light exists there is darkness, where there is warmth, there is cold, and where good, evil." this would result in a balanced devotion towards both as both are necessary to that person's view of the world.
No, that would result in a devotion to balance.

dspeyer
2013-05-01, 02:12 AM
The relevant text seems to be:

Domain feats are a new category of feats that signify character's dedication to a particular religious ideal or tenet. You and your DM should determine a reason for this devotion as part of your character's background. A domain feat usually corresponds to one of the domains to which a particular deity grants access, or those representing set of ideals

Usually, domain feats go together only if they corre*spond to the domains offered by the deity you follow. For example, Kord grants access to the Chaos, Good, Luck, and Strength domains, so a worshiper of Kord could choose the Chaos Devotion, Good Devotion, Luck Devotion, or Strength Devotion feats without going outside his deity's sphere of influence.

For characters who do not worship a particular deity, use the following guidelines for which domain feats allow or preclude the selection of others. This should be done in
concert with the DM.

Which suggests that devotion feats are mostly for worshippers, but not necessarily clerics.

WotC often takes a very monolateralist viewpoint. How to apply this in a traditionally polytheistic world, I'm not sure. But the general rule that a character with a devotion feat should be devoted to that still applies.