PDA

View Full Version : Some Gestalt Concepts Help?

Gwazi Magnum
2013-04-30, 12:14 PM
Note: I currently am not in a campaign where I will be able to use any of these (unless if I decided to turn them into NPCs where I am DM'ing), these are more or less just fun concepts I had I would like some help with just to firstly expand my own knowledge on d&d, for fun, and incase a campaign does pop up allowing gestalt I can join so I can later pull one of these out and use them.

Also: Since this is more a for fun thread than anything else, feel free to suggest other gestalt concepts you find very cool, powerful, broken or just plain interesting and fun to you.

Now to get started...

The Spontaneous Cleric

Basic idea here is a Cleric with two main variants.
The first being Spontaneous (I just prefer the flexibility honestly, makes games more fun to enjoy too and less spell tracking) and the other being Cloistered Cleric with the extra skill points and domain.

Now here I'm thinking making the other class a Martial one like Fighter so he can hold his own in combat and his spells aren't restricted by the armour anyway's. While with the Cleric side itself I was unsure on to if I should leave it as a Cleric or multiclass into Prestige classes that granted more domains (which can get pretty powerful when all spells are spontaneous).

Main Ability Scores here I'm thinking should be Wisdom (Obviously), Intelligence (Knowledge Skills and other skills), Strength (To handle himself in melee) and Constitution (To survive).

Skills maybe the Monster Knowledge skills, plus some like sense motive (If I can somehow make it a class skill), listen, spot, survial, heal... mainly anything wisdom dependent.

Feats I may pick up Track if I go the Survival route, otherwise here I'm kind of lost outside of metamagic feats or something like weapon focus or weapon spec to make himself more combat ready.

Race I'm thinking being a Human, extra feat and skill points are nice.

The One Man Party

Basically a character built for a solo campaign. Most likely high in Charisma for the sake of being social and not being hated or anything. Also it seems flavour fitting for what I'm about to describe alone.

The idea here is although it's a one player campaign, it's one where the character is not alone. They're accompanied by companions/followers like an animal companion, a familliar, cohort(s), special mount etc.

The focus of this build is to gain more of these kinds of followers and make them stronger where they can.
But without being completely useless themselves, they can handle their own and aren't just hiding behind their partners.

So really ways that depend on Charisma to fit well may be good here.

Also any feats or classes that give more companions and/or make them stronger.
Like leadership, improved cohort etc.

However, I'm not looking for leadership for the sake a bunch of lackeys levels 1-6 following them around. I want any follower to be strong and capable in their own right as a character, maybe a sub-par character but still a character and not a faceless NPC among a crowd of 50.

Size matters not

A Halfling is the general concept here, could switch to Gnome though.

Basically the idea is size makes them underestimate him and then to goes crazy on their ass in combat.
And I'm not looking for the easy magic way out here, I mean he kicked your ass martial/melee style.

Basic idea was to pick up feats like Weapon Finesse and Shadow Blade so Dexterity is the one ability score that can turn this person into a beast. Also fits the entire jumping and flipping around the battlefield concept if your going for something like Yoda.

Classes I was considering monk for the unarmed fighting and rapid movement.
But that would need to be complemented by a high BAB class for which I thinking maybe Ranger or Warblade.

Honestly, unarmed swordsage and Warblade might be best here but that's a lot of manuevers and stances to track.

Skills I'm thinking the basics like listen, spot and them acrobatic and stealth based ones like jump, balance, climb, tumble, hide and move silently.

The Psionic Fighter

Pretty much a Fighter/Psionic split.

The idea being a Psychic warrior on steroids mostly.
Hit Die 10 and full BAB with many bonus feats makes him a very deadly and powerful melee combatant.

Combined with full levels of Psion for maximum spell casting in the heavy armor.
This is more to fit my vision of a spell wielding warrior/adventuerer who isn't forced to be sub-par at both rather than be one or the other.

Still not sure what spells I would pick, what feats or skills to focus on and which ability score to make the main one. I'm thinking either Strength or Constitution.

Fouredged Sword
2013-04-30, 01:37 PM
For concept 2

The pokemon master!

Favored soul 20 // sorcerer / malconvoker

You are a favored soul of Olidammara. You are chaotic good. You specialize in summoning and tricking demons into fighting for you.

You have a metric ton of summoning spells. You bury your foes in a wall of demon meat. Dedicate the first spell know in both your spells per day list at each level as the SM of that level.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-04-30, 02:02 PM
That a lot of temporary summons though of random animals.

I'm looking more for permanent followers there, like companions the character travels and interacts with, those who can follow them around all the time.

thethird
2013-04-30, 02:06 PM
Once when playing in a gestalt campaign there were three of us, this was our party composition.

Favored Weaver

Human paragon 1 / Favored soul 1 / Human paragon +2 / Favored soul +16 // Sorcerer 5 / Spellguard of Silverymoon 4 / War Weaver 5 / XXXX 6

So what do you get? The ability to cast the meatiest cleric or sorcerer personal buffs, modified so they heal (by the Favored soul ACF) and thus are valid targets for the spellguard ability thus becoming valid targets for the war weave. In effect, you become able to share personal buff spells with the whole party. Add incantatrix for persistomancy and have fun.

Leader of men

Beguiler 5 / Prestige bard 2 / Beguiler +2 / Spellthief 1 / Beguiler +10 // Warblade 7 / Warchanter 10 / Warblade +3

Some buffs might be out of reach for a favored weaver but the leader of men adds to that. If he needs an army enchantment magic from its beguiler and bard side can get him some commoners or npcs to his side. White raven maneuvers on the warblade increases versatility and add to his inspire courage capability, finally inspire legion is a great resource to pass.

Army provider

Wizard 5 / Malconvoker 5 / Wizard +8 / Wild soul 2 // Shaper (psion) 10 / Constructor (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625b) 8 / Shaper 2

Three words: Dual-Plane Summons (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Dual-Plane_Summons) there isn't any better summoner than you. Being able to summon unicorns is always nice too.

Fouredged Sword
2013-04-30, 02:18 PM
Psion (shaper)/ Thrallheard // Ranger / beast heart adept then?

You get a ECl-1 and ECL-2 thrall (read cohort) and multiple animal companions. Take Psion powers based around buffing and astral construct.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-04-30, 02:21 PM
Seems interesting, but none of those characters looks like they truly maximized their spell casters for maximum spells known or spells per day. May I ask why?

Gwazi Magnum
2013-04-30, 02:22 PM
Psion (shaper)/ Thrallheard // Ranger / beast heart adept then?

You get a ECl-1 and ECL-2 thrall (read cohort) and multiple animal companions. Take Psion powers based around buffing and astral construct.

Interesting, I might look more into that.

Thralls if I recall right are people unconciously inslaved to serve you by magical demands correct?

thethird
2013-04-30, 02:28 PM
Even if you shall never loose caster levels there are sometimes class features that are interesting.

In the case of the favored weaver:

War weaver looses a spellcasting level, but instead of that it gains access to the spell weave, and thus can affect all party members with its personal spells. The build is slightly feat starved so it has levels in human paragon for extra feats.

In the case of the leader of men:

Beguiler spells aren't as powerful, and it still gains access to 9th level spells, having access to spelltheft is nice (from master spellthief) and having access to all the bard spells is also a nice boon.

Finally in the case of the army provider:

It justs looses one manifester level (thus it just looses some power points), in exchange it gains added benefits when manifesting astral construct (in effect when summoning) such as extra abilities for the summons and a wider list to choose from.

---

Adding builds to that

Knight // Scout Mesh surprisingly well for a truly defensive character capable of dishing quite a lot of damage.

Similarly Crusader // Incarnate is another of my favorite defensive gestalts.

Fouredged Sword
2013-04-30, 02:51 PM
Thralls are people who are mentally compatible who are subconsciously drawn to you. The theory is that they would serve you anyway, and you have no more control over them than a normal cohort.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-04-30, 03:05 PM
Even if you shall never loose caster levels there are sometimes class features that are interesting.

In the case of the favored weaver:

War weaver looses a spellcasting level, but instead of that it gains access to the spell weave, and thus can affect all party members with its personal spells. The build is slightly feat starved so it has levels in human paragon for extra feats.

In the case of the leader of men:

Beguiler spells aren't as powerful, and it still gains access to 9th level spells, having access to spelltheft is nice (from master spellthief) and having access to all the bard spells is also a nice boon.

Finally in the case of the army provider:

It justs looses one manifester level (thus it just looses some power points), in exchange it gains added benefits when manifesting astral construct (in effect when summoning) such as extra abilities for the summons and a wider list to choose from.

---

Adding builds to that

Knight // Scout Mesh surprisingly well for a truly defensive character capable of dishing quite a lot of damage.

Similarly Crusader // Incarnate is another of my favorite defensive gestalts.

So essentially you are sacrificing spell levels but for different benefits instead?
Looking at those benefits I can see why that route was taken, sounds fun.

Thralls are people who are mentally compatible who are subconsciously drawn to you. The theory is that they would serve you anyway, and you have no more control over them than a normal cohort.

So basically people who would already follow you, but an another force gives them an extra compulsion to do so?

If you know of the game, is like KOTOR 2 with the Jedi Exile and her companions?

sleepyphoenixx
2013-04-30, 03:15 PM
Druid 20 // Wizard 5/Incantatrix 3/Hathran 5/Wyrm Wizard 2/Hathran 5

CL 20 Druid casting, CL 19 Wizard casting, Circle Magic, Leadership, Animal Companion.

Using Wyrm Wizard to get Body outside Body for 8 wild shaping meat shields persisted with Metamagic Effect.

ksbsnowowl
2013-04-30, 03:18 PM
For a one-man party, a Druid//Scout (or Druid//Rogue) wouldn't be a bad start.

All good saves, a high Wisdom (so your Will save is sky-high; the Will save effects are what is most likely to end up getting you killed/captured), decent HD, good skills, and bonus damage (Tiger wildshape + Girallon's Blessing + Skirmish = 7 attacks, all gaining skirmish). The only thing you are "missing" is Full BAB.

If you go the Rogue route, you have a built in flanking buddy (your trusty animal companion), and you have several touch spells to make flanking sneak attacks so much easier (produce flame and flame blade being two of the big ones). Plus you can summon more critters to plug up the battlefield, etc.

You can heal yourself (and SNA 4 can give you on-the-fly healing and poison neutralization, via the Unicorn), you are the world's best scout (check out the modifiers for a Tiny owl with maxed out ranks in Hide, Move Silently, Spot, and Listen).*

The one other advantage of Scout over Rogue is that Uncanny Dodge can shut down your sneak attacking. That depends largely upon the campaign in question. I DM a gestalt viking game; there are lots of barbarians and rogues in my party. Sneak attack is basically worthless vs. my PC's. But as I said, it heavily depends upon the game in question.

Of course, Rogue has the advantage of Use Magic Device. A good middle ground would be to alternate levels of scout and rogue on the one side.

If I ever get to play in a gestalt game, this is the direction I plan to go.

*Level 11 Druid//Scout w/ max ranks in Hide, Move Silently, Spot, and Listen, and a Wisdom of 20, would have the following modifiers in Owl form:
Hide +25, Move Silently +31, Listen +27, Spot +19 (+27 in shadowy illumination).

Add Camouflage or Forestfold onto that... and you can scout out damn near anything.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-04-30, 03:25 PM
For a one-man party, a Druid//Scout (or Druid//Rogue) wouldn't be a bad start.

All good saves, a high Wisdom (so your Will save is sky-high; the Will save effects are what is most likely to end up getting you killed/captured), decent HD, good skills, and bonus damage (Tiger wildshape + Girallon's Blessing + Skirmish = 7 attacks, all gaining skirmish). The only thing you are "missing" is Full BAB.

If you go the Rogue route, you have a built in flanking buddy (your trusty animal companion), and you have several touch spells to make flanking sneak attacks so much easier (produce flame and flame blade being two of the big ones). Plus you can summon more critters to plug up the battlefield, etc.

You can heal yourself (and SNA 4 can give you on-the-fly healing and poison neutralization, via the Unicorn), you are the world's best scout (check out the modifiers for a Tiny owl with maxed out ranks in Hide, Move Silently, Spot, and Listen).

The one other advantage of Scout over Rogue is that Uncanny Dodge can shut down your sneak attacking. That depends largely upon the campaign in question. I DM a gestalt viking game; there are lots of barbarians and rogues in my party. Sneak attack is basically worthless vs. my PC's. But as I said, it heavily depends upon the game in question.

Of course, Rogue has the advantage of Use Magic Device. A good middle ground would be to alternate levels of scout and rogue on the one side.

If I ever get to play in a gestalt game, this is the direction I plan to go.

It looks cool.

Though if I were to do this I would probably go the Druid/Rogue route but with some variants.

1) Martial Rogue so I have some combat feats to keep me skilled in battle.
2) Replace Wild Shape with Monks AC Bonus (+Wis Mod), Monks speed, Track and Favored enemy. This makes my person more capable as a person. This is a personal preference one, I prefer my person being skilled as they are, not needing to be an animal to fight well.
3) Spontaneous Druid, more spells per day, don't need to prepare spells but limited spells known. I prefer the flexibility of spontaneous casting personally and I would just pick the best spells to know anyways.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-04-30, 03:26 PM
Also fourth concept: Fighter/Psion

I'll add it to the 1st post as well.

dascarletm
2013-04-30, 06:52 PM
Toughest Undead in the world

Wizard (Necromancer) 1/ Dread Necromancer 8/ Pale Master10/ XXX 1//Cleric 20

UA Variant To buff your undead and the skeleton cohort,

Take Corpsecrafter feats, Tomb tainted soul, eventually obtain a tomb tainted familiar mayhaps.

rollforeigninit
2013-05-01, 07:24 PM
Instead of Fighter//Psion why not Psychic Warrior// Psion? Some DM's might not allow it but you can really get even more PP's. Play an Elan & soak the damage especially with the Elan Feats in Complete Psi. Even more fun if you can play Pathfinder Versions of both. For less MAD you can try Psychic Warrior// Ardent for a more restrictive but still plenty abusable.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-05-09, 11:38 PM
Toughest Undead in the world

Wizard (Necromancer) 1/ Dread Necromancer 8/ Pale Master10/ XXX 1//Cleric 20

UA Variant To buff your undead and the skeleton cohort,

Take Corpsecrafter feats, Tomb tainted soul, eventually obtain a tomb tainted familiar mayhaps.

So pretty much as a build that summons a ton of powerful undead and sends them on the target?

Instead of Fighter//Psion why not Psychic Warrior// Psion? Some DM's might not allow it but you can really get even more PP's. Play an Elan & soak the damage especially with the Elan Feats in Complete Psi. Even more fun if you can play Pathfinder Versions of both. For less MAD you can try Psychic Warrior// Ardent for a more restrictive but still plenty abusable.

Fighter has higher BAB, Hit Dice & More Bonus feats so he's better in melee than a Psychic Warrior would be.

Plus Psion by itself is meant to be full caster so I'm assuming in Gestalt just one of the two classes being Psion should give me all the casting I needed, expecially if I'm also going into melee a lot.