PDA

View Full Version : Non-core Race with Wizard as Preferred Class?

wrybread
2013-04-30, 03:17 PM
Hi there,
I'm joining a buddy's 3.5 Campaign and want to play a Wizard. However, I'm looking to play as a Race which I've never played before. Does anyone know of a good non-Core PC Race which have Wizard as the preferred Class, or at the very least make good Wizards?

Seer_of_Heart
2013-04-30, 03:21 PM
Why do you need preferred class? Are you planning on multiclassing? Preferred class only affects multiclassing in 3.5. I don't play pathfinder but AFAIK you get favoured class bonuses. Is your DM houserulling that in? I believe illumians have it(or technically favoured class any as humans do) for being a human variant race.

Giegue
2013-04-30, 03:34 PM
While this depends on how much cheese your DM will allow, Kobalds make great casters in general if you use dragonwrought and make your age venerable. Doing so nets you a free +3 to all your mental scores, including int. The only issue with this is that, well, it's viewd as ridicilously cheesy by most(and IMO, it is) because it allowes for all kinds of crazy stuff, such as getting epic feats at low levels and adding every cleric spell to your spell list with sovrigen archtypes. The +3 to all mentals is simply the tip of this cheesy iceburg. However, if your DM lets you run a dragonwrought Kobald they are basicly awesome at any caster class, wizard included.

Other races you may want to consider are those with an int bonus. Sadly, I don't know very many LA 0 races that get an int bonus, the only one off the top of my head being the gray elves who are not all that "exotic." Illumians, while they lack an int bonus can do some ridiculous stuff with their sigils that really help the wizard but again I'm not sure if your DM would allow some of their sigil abuses. I am also not knowledgeable on Illumians and sigil abuse at all because I don't like the fluff of this race. Plenty of people, however, are knowledgeable on the topic so seek them out or heck just google illumians...you'll be sure to find something.

Silverbrow humans, while they don't have any int bonuses are good for their bonus feat and the dragonblooded suptype, the later of which can be very good for obtaining some unusual PrCs and feats. Silverbrow humans make exceptionally good save-or die/suck casters(Such as, say, enchanters or some forms of necromancer) because there is a feat combo involving snowcasting and some draconic aura feat(and possibly other things..I forget the exact feat combo) that can boost your spell DCs to very high levels. If you want to know this combo PM me and I'll look it up for you. The only issue is that they, again, are not that "exotic"in terms of appearance though they are not a widely known core race so I thought I'd mention them.

Strongheart halflings, while they don't get an int bonus get small(which is VERY good for a wizard) and a bonus feat, making them better then standard halfings. The dex bonus they get also never hurts. Again, though, they just look like regular halflings, so not much here on the "exotic" looks front.

Anyway, not counting human and other core races, that's what I have from the top of my head. I may post again if I find something better for you.

Gavinfoxx
2013-04-30, 04:59 PM
Perhaps you mean to say, 'Good' race for playing a Wizard? or 'Optimal' race for playing a Wizard?

Anyway, for the 3.5e Wizard handbook, which includes races that are solid for being Wizards, look here:

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1570

Here's the Pathfinder version:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xjPIOH8F8a0l74BdDF7Q23nCfZ-YX68Xr6JmmtznMw4/edit?pli=1

Here's another Pathfinder one, with more on races:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13IZTV59ItNsK63RHQo2XGkjMKiU8LfRu5PCaE3R5lco/edit?pli=1

Remember, Favored Race only matters as a rule in Pathfinder, because you aren't going to be Multiclassing as a Wizard, just Prestige Classing.

Randomguy
2013-04-30, 05:18 PM
Try changeling.

Psyren
2013-04-30, 11:51 PM
Deep Imaskari (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003b) is one. Spell Clutch is particularly handy at low levels.

Arcanist
2013-04-30, 11:59 PM
Deep Imaskari (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003b) is one. Spell Clutch is particularly handy at low levels.

Psyren I kid you not, if you do not tell me that there is a normal (or High) Imaskari race (and it's location) I will destroy your very soul! :smallfurious:

DemonRoach
2013-05-01, 12:11 AM
Psyren I kid you not, if you do not tell me that there is a normal (or High) Imaskari race (and it's location) I will destroy your very soul! :smallfurious:

From the Deep Imaskari history, we can infer that normal Imaskari were normal humans, who have since lost their identity as a nation of people and dissolved into the present day humans.

:smalltongue:

Arcanist
2013-05-01, 12:55 AM
From the Deep Imaskari history, we can infer that normal Imaskari were normal humans, who have since lost their identity as a nation of people and dissolved into the present day humans.

:smalltongue:

I cannot be the only one disgusting by the idea of the noble Portal Lords mingling with the barbaric, lesser humans right? :smallannoyed:

Twas a joke my friend.

Psyren
2013-05-01, 01:12 AM

:smalleek:

*runs*

(Check LEoF maybe?)

Arcanist
2013-05-01, 01:41 AM
:smalleek:

*runs*

(Check LEoF maybe?)

IT DIRECTS ME TO USE THE HUMAN! I'D USE SOUL BIND, BUT I'M ONLY A 4TH LEVEL SORCERER! :smallfurious: YOU SURVIVE... FOR NOW...

On a side note: The Sarrukh has Wizard as their favored class :smalltongue: See if your DM will let you play that!

HalfQuart
2013-05-01, 01:49 PM
You might want to peruse the Master +0 LA Race List III (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1281.0).

Mo_the_Hawked
2013-05-01, 03:35 PM
My first thought is the Sun Elf, from one the FR books, offers +2 to Int, -2 to Con (I believe) and Favored Class: Wizard.

Makes for a little extra squishy Wizard, but hey, wizards should be squishy!

Pesimismrocks
2013-05-01, 03:53 PM
At the thought if favoured class Shakarin comes to mind, but LA +1 really hurts for only +2 Int. Raptorans are also good considering free permenant flight if LA buy off is allowed

I would argue that the best race for wizard is human. A metamagic feat is worth more than something like +2 to DC's.

Any particular reason for non-core or just looking for better options?

Flame of Anor
2013-05-01, 03:54 PM
Remember, preferred class doesn't matter unless you're multiclassing. And why would you multiclass away from Wizard?

nedz
2013-05-01, 04:08 PM
Deep Imaskari are so called because of their love of profound statements.

Not to be confused with Derp Mascara, which is an elven thing.

Arcanist
2013-05-01, 04:15 PM
Remember, preferred class doesn't matter unless you're multiclassing. And why would you multiclass away from Wizard?

To be a Gish? :smallconfused:

Honestly if you plan to go Gish build you can just do Wizard 1 / Human Paragon 3 as a start.

Marnath
2013-05-01, 04:26 PM

Gish builds?

FleshrakerAbuse
2013-05-01, 07:12 PM
I think that when someone wants a wizard, they probably want some kind of casterish type.

Gishes are more of a specific preference. Not that they're not cool.

Arcanist
2013-05-01, 07:24 PM
I think that when someone wants a wizard, they probably want some kind of casterish type.

Gishes are more of a specific preference. Not that they're not cool.

what chu talkin bout willis!?

Wizards gain their 2nd level spell 1 level earlier making it a bit more useful for a Gish guild. People usually go for the Sorcererdin build because of Charisma synergy.