PDA

View Full Version : Divine Metamagic Clarification:

Os1ris09
2013-04-30, 03:19 PM
If you take divine metamagic do you have to have the feat you are partnering with it as well or does it apply to all of your metamagic feats that you currently have or will obtain?

Basically can I take Divine metamagic at lvl 1 and be ok to apply it to any other metamagic feats I obtain at later levels?

Gildedragon
2013-04-30, 03:27 PM
This ought to be in the simple questions thread:
No; you take DMM[X] where X is any one MM feat you know. You may take the feat multiple times, each time applying to a new feat

Urpriest
2013-04-30, 04:01 PM
This ought to be in the simple questions thread:
No; you take DMM[X] where X is any one MM feat you know. You may take the feat multiple times, each time applying to a new feat

To be clear, this was a restriction added in the errata, since the original was ambiguous. You would be wise to look at the errata in general, since a number of aspects of the wording of DMM were clarified there.

HunterOfJello
2013-04-30, 04:15 PM
https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a

The errata for d&d 3.5 can be found on that page.

Once you read Complete Divine and the errata you come to the conclusion that Divine Metamagic only works for 1 metamagic feat each time you take it, and you have to have the metamagic feat in question before you take Divine Metamagic.

Your feat progression would look something like:
1: Extend Spell
3: Divine Metamagic (Extend Spell)

~

The errata also changes the feat so that it only works on Divine spells. I guess that's a fair distinction to make though since it does happen to be in the title.

eggynack
2013-04-30, 04:34 PM
Additionally, through the magic of tons of feats you can gain the most powerful use of DMM, persist, as soon as level one. You use the planning domain to gain extend spell, a human bonus feat to get persist, and the first level feat to get DMM persist. I don't think any god gets both, but if you take undeath as a second domain you can have extra turning to power the persist. It's not a strictly necessary component of the ability though. It's pretty crazy stuff in general.

Douglas
2013-04-30, 08:05 PM
You always had to pick one metamagic, and it would only work for that single metamagic feat. The errata just added the requirement that you must have the metamagic feat in question too.

Rahdjan
2013-04-30, 10:01 PM
Additionally, through the magic of tons of feats you can gain the most powerful use of DMM, persist, as soon as level one. You use the planning domain to gain extend spell, a human bonus feat to get persist, and the first level feat to get DMM persist. I don't think any god gets both, but if you take undeath as a second domain you can have extra turning to power the persist. It's not a strictly necessary component of the ability though. It's pretty crazy stuff in general.

What's the point of getting it at level 1 if the persisted spell is 6 levels higher? Maybe I'm missing something.

eggynack
2013-04-30, 10:10 PM
The thing that you're missing is that, unlike several similar abilities, you can use the reduction from divine metamagic to cast effectively higher level spells. For example, you can persist divine favor at first level by spending 7 turn attempts through divine metamagic. The real challenge is actually getting those turn attempts, but reasonable cha plus extra turning can get you up to persisting one spell pretty early, and other techniques can get you even higher, like nightsticks. It takes a bit of work, getting that many turn attempts at first level, but it's well worth the cost and only gets better as you level.

Rahdjan
2013-04-30, 10:35 PM
The thing that you're missing is that, unlike several similar abilities, you can use the reduction from divine metamagic to cast effectively higher level spells. For example, you can persist divine favor at first level by spending 7 turn attempts through divine metamagic. The real challenge is actually getting those turn attempts, but reasonable cha plus extra turning can get you up to persisting one spell pretty early, and other techniques can get you even higher, like nightsticks. It takes a bit of work, getting that many turn attempts at first level, but it's well worth the cost and only gets better as you level.

Ok, so you do all that for one level 1 spell. Which one would you use?

TuggyNE
2013-04-30, 10:38 PM

Custom cause of "lichdom and world domination". :smalltongue:

Hey, if you're gonna cheese, cheese all the way, no? :smallwink:

eggynack
2013-04-30, 10:43 PM
Well, I mentioned divine favor and that's a nice spell. You can also get bless, which could be useful. Out of core, there are some other good options. There's a good list here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7543). First level spells are obviously not the best thing to persist in the world, but I see it as a good option for its level. Here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7260) is another list that has all of the spells that you can persist up to 6th level. Persistent detect magic also seems powerful at 0th level.