PDA

View Full Version : Modified Dragon Shaman (3.5, PEACH)

Kane0
2013-04-30, 07:33 PM
Hey guys.

Thanks to Noctis Vigil for his help in refining this.

The Dragon Shaman
Proficiencies: All simple weapons, light and medium armor, shields (excluding tower shields)
HP: d10
Skills per level: 4
Class skills: Craft, Climb, Intimidate, Know (Arcana, Nature), Search, UMD, plus three others depending on Totem Dragon.

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Auras
Breath Weapon

Aura +1, Totem Dragon
1d6

Draconic Adaption
1d6

Draconic Resolve
2d6

Draconic Body I
2d6

Aura +2, Touch of Vitality
3d6

Draconic Bite
3d6

Range Increase
4d6

Draconic Body II
4d6

Aura +3, Double Aura
5d6

Draconic Claws
5d6

Energy Immunity
6d6

Draconic Body III
6d6

Aura +4
7d6

Draconic Wings/Tail
7d6

Range Increase
8d6

Draconic Body IV
8d6

Aura +5
9d6

Share Draconic Ability
9d6

Triple Aura
10d6

Draconic Ascension
10d6

Class Abilities:
Aura:
You emit a 30' aura that confers differing effects based on what aura you are using at the time. Raising, lowering or altering an aura requires a swift action. All bonuses to rolls granted by Auras are Insight bonuses.

Energy:
Add aura bonus to DC of spells and effects of energy type and descriptor matching that of totem dragon (including breath weapon)

Speed:
Add aura bonus to all Swim, Climb and Jump checks and 5x aura bonus to all movement speeds.

Stamina:
Add aura bonus to Fortitude saves and Concentration checks

Energy Shield:
Attackers that are attacking in melee within 5' take energy damage of same type as breath weapon equal to 2x aura bonus when they hit

Power:
Add 2x aura bonus to damage rolls

Presence:
Add aura bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy and Intimidate checks

Resistance:
Gain energy resistance of 5x Aura bonus to energy the type of your Breath Weapon

Senses:
Add aura bonus to Spot, Listen and Initiative checks

Toughness:
Gain DR equal to [Aura bonus] /-

Vigor:
Provides fast healing equal to Aura bonus, but only up to half HP

Insight:
Add aura bonus to all knowledge, decipher script and spellcraft checks

Focus:
Add aura bonus to reflex and will saves

Accuracy:
Add aura bonus to attack rolls

Fear:
Foes within the range of the aura must succeed on a Will save (DC= 10 + half Dragon Shaman level + Cha mod) or be shaken for as long as the target is within the range of the fear aura (and as log as it is active). Succeeding this saving throw renders the target immune to the Fear Aura for 24 hours.

Totem Dragon:
Select a true dragon type to gain as your Patron Dragon type, which determines your Breath Weapon, Draconic Adaption and Energy Immunity abilities. You also gain other benefits.
Once the decision is made it cannot be changed.

{table=head] Dragon Type | Alignment Required | Bonus Class Skills | Breath Weapon

Black | NE, CE, CN|Hide, Move Silently, Swim | Line of Acid
Blue | NE, LE, LN | Bluff, Hide, Spellcraft | Line of Electricity
Brass | NG, CG, CN | Bluff, Gather Information, Survival | Line of Fire
Bronze | NG, LG, LN | Disguise, Survival, Swim | Line of Electricity
Copper | NG, CG, CN | Bluff, Hide, Jump | Line of Acid
Gold | NG, LG, LN | Disguise, Heal, Swim | Cone of Fire
Green | NE, LE, LN | Bluff, Hide, Move Silently | Cone of Acid
Red | NE, CE, CN | Appraise, Bluff, Jump | Cone of Fire
Silver | NG, LG, LN | Bluff, Disguise, Jump | Cone of Cold
White | NE, CE, CN | Hide, Move Silently, Swim | Cone of Cold
[/table]

Breath Weapon:
You gain a breath weapon based on your Patron Dragon type, dealing 1d6 damage per two Dragon Shaman levels. A reflex save halves the damage (DC = 10 + half Dragon Shaman level + Con modifier). The range of the breath weapon is 30' for cones and 60' for lines.
Once used your breath weapon cannot be used again for 1d4 rounds.

Draconic Adaption:
You gain Darkvision out to 60', and gain another ability based on your Patron Dragon type.
At level 10 you also gain Blindsense out to 30'

Black:
Water Breathing: You can breath underwater and can freely use spells and other abilities underwater (always active)

Blue:
Ventriloquism: As the spell (at will).

Brass:
Endure Elements: As the spell, self only (at will).

Bronze:
Water Breathing: You can breath underwater and can freely use spells and other abilities underwater (always active)

Copper:
Spider Climb: As the spell, self only (at will).

Gold:
Treasure Seeker: You gain a +5 bonus to Appraise and Search checks (always active).

Green:

Red:
Treasure Seeker: You gain a +5 bonus to Appraise and Search checks (always active).

Silver:
Feather Fall: As the spell, self only (at will).

White:
Icewalker: You can move across snowy and icy surfaces without penalty or impediment (always active).

Draconic Resolve:
You become immune to sleep and paralysis.

Draconic Body:
You gain a +1 bonus to Natural AC and your Strength score.
At level 8 the bonus to Natural AC and Strength increases by 1, to a total of +2
At level 12 you gain a further +1 to natural AC and +1 to your constitution score, bringing the total to +3 Natural AC, +2 Strength and +1 Constitution
At level 16 you gain a further +1 to natural AC and +1 to your Intelligence score, bringing the total to +4 Natural AC, +2 Strength, +1 Constitution and +1 Intelligence.

Touch Of Vitality:
You become able to cure wounds and certain conditions with a touch. As a standard action a number of times per day equal to 1+ your Cha modifier (Min 1) you can heal half your breath weapon dice (minimum 1d6) in HP and remove the one of the following ailments with a touch:
- 1 Point of Ability Damage
- Fatigued condition
- Sickened Condition

At level 9 you gain an extra use of this ability and can also remove:
- Poisoned Condition
- Diseased Condition
- Blinded/Deafened Condition

At level 13 you gain an extra use of this ability and you can also remove:
- Dazed Condition
- Exhausted Condition
- Nauseated Condition

At level 17 you gain an extra use of this ability and you can also remove:
- Stunned Condition
- One negative level
- 2 Points of Ability Drain

Draconic Bite:
Gain 1d8 Bite attack as a primary natural weapon, or 1d6 for small creatures

Range Increase:
Increase the range of your aura by 10' or breath weapon (15' for cones, 30' for lines). Once the decision is made it cannot be changed.

Dual Aura:
You can have the effects of two different Auras you know active at once.

Draconic Claws:
Gain a pair of 1d6 claw attacks as secondary natural weapons, or 1d4 for small creatures.

Energy Immunity:
You gain immunity to the energy type associated with your Patron Dragon type (the energy type of your breath weapon).

Draconic Wings/Tail:
You gain wings (and fly speed 60' with average maneuverability, dropping to 30' and poor when encumbered) and a tail dealing 1d4 damage as a secondary attack (either wing buffet or tail slap, not both), or 1d3 for small creatures.

Share Draconic Ability:
When using your Draconic Adaption ability you can choose to share it with all allies within 30' of you as a free action, or alternatively you can spend a standard action to grant the effects of your Draconic Resolve or Energy Immunity ability to all allies within 30'. Both of these options requires a standard action and lasts a number of rounds equal to your Con modifier. This ability is usable a combined number of 3 times per day.

Triple Aura:
You can have the effects of three different Auras you know active at once.

Draconic Ascension:
You gain a +2 bonus to your strength score, a +1 bonus to your Constitution score and +1 bonus to your Intelligence score, which stacks with your Draconic Body ability to give you a combined total of +4 Strength, +2 Constitution and +2 intelligence. You are treated as having the half dragon template of the same dragon type as your Totem Dragon and no longer take penalties to ability scores for aging, though any existing penalties remain in place. You still die when your time is up (50% longer lifespan due to draconic longevity).
In addition, as a standard action once per day you can summon a dragon (or dragons) of the same type as your Totem dragon of the old category (or 2 adults, or 4 juveniles, or 8 very young) as a standard action. This (or these) dragon(s) follow your commands and remain until the end of the encounter or one hour, whichever is shorter.

Alternate Class Feature: Invocation known
Replaces new Aura known
Instead of gaining a new Aura known you instead choose an Invocation from the Dragonfire Adept list of Draconic Invocations. The highest level of invocations you can choose from are determined by your Dragon Shaman level, and your caster level is the same as your Dragon Shaman level.
1-5: Least
6-10: Lesser
11-15: Greater
16-20: Dark

Alternate Class Feature: Dragon Form
Replaces Dragon Body
Dragon Form 1: You can assume the form of a dragon of the same type as your Patron Dragon of the Wyrmling Age category, otherwise acting as per the Polymorph spell. This ability is usable up to three times per day.
Dragon Form 2: The age category of the dragon you can take the form of changes to Young or younger
Dragon Form 3: The age category of the dragon you can take the form of changes to Young Adult or younger
Dragon form 4: The age category of the dragon you can take the form of changes to Mature Adult or younger
Draconic Ascension: The age category of the dragon you can take the form of changes to Very Old or younger. You do not gain the bonuses to attributes but retain the ability to summon dragons.

Alternate Class Feature: Bonus Feat
Replaces Draconic Bite, Draconic Claws and/or Draconic Wings & Tail
You gain a bonus Metabreath or Draconic feat that you qualify for.

Noctis Vigil
2013-05-01, 12:52 AM
A Kane0 fix? How could I NOT comment on that! :smallwink:

Looks pretty straight forward. I would have added a bit more of the Dragon Disciple to it, personally. A bonus to Str and blindsense aren't overpowered here. I would also make the dragon transformation come earlier. Maybe a bit like Wildshape? Turning into a wyrmling dragon early on in your career would be pretty cool.

As for party balance, I have a suspicion it will destroy the stock Fighter, and be thoroughly trounced by the Cleric and the Wizard. Would probably be able to hold its own against the Warlock, I suspect.

Kane0
2013-05-01, 04:07 AM
A Kane0 fix? How could I NOT comment on that! :smallwink:

I'm touched, i think :smallamused:

Looks pretty straight forward. I would have added a bit more of the Dragon Disciple to it, personally. A bonus to Str and blindsense aren't overpowered here. I would also make the dragon transformation come earlier. Maybe a bit like Wildshape? Turning into a wyrmling dragon early on in your career would be pretty cool.

He intends on sinking a lot of feats into draconic stuff to make up any differences, so i can see things like blindsight coming his way. Actually turning into a dragon im thinking i might make an ACF that replaces the natural attacks.

As for party balance, I have a suspicion it will destroy the stock Fighter, and be thoroughly trounced by the Cleric and the Wizard. Would probably be able to hold its own against the Warlock, I suspect.

Its a rp heavy group so i feel like the highest tier character at present. The fighter should be able to cope, and the best te cleric does in a fight is guidance so that wont be too much of a concern. The wild mage... Well... Hes a wild card, so to speak.

All in all, close to tier 3 ish?

Brova
2013-05-01, 06:35 AM
Notes:
-Same Game Test is here (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Dungeons_and_Dragons_Wiki:The_Same_Game_Test)
-Used 32 point buy
-I don’t see a range for breath weapon, assumed 30ft cone, 60ft line
-Assume he always has energy active when using breath weapon

Level 5 SGT:
Aegon Targaryen
Dragon Shaman 5
Abilities: Str 14, Con 14, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills: N/A
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot
Equipment: +1 Longbow (+2 Str Bonus), +1 Chain Shirt, Cloak of Resistance +1
Totem Dragon: Copper (Spider Climb, Line of Acid [60ft line, DC 15, 3d6])
Auras: Power, Accuracy, Energy
Attack: Longbow +8 ranged (1d8+3/x3) or Longbow +6/+6 ranged (1d8+3/x3)
AC: 20 (+4 Dex, +5 Armor, +1 Natural Armor)
HP: 42 (Max at first, +5.5 every level, +5 x Con Mod)

Saves: Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +4

A locked door behind an arbitrarily high number of assorted CR 4 traps.

Aegon has search, but lacks disable device. Definite Loss.

A huge Animated iron statue in a throne room.

Aegon Spider Climbs to the ceiling and attacks the statue with his breath weapon. He wins this one if he is out of range of the statue without being out of range of his breath weapon, unless I forgot how Spider Climb works. He gets pulped in melee. Definite win if conditions permit.

A Basilisk in its desert burrow.

Aegon has longer range with his bow and saves most of the time against the Basilisk’s gaze. Probable win.

A Large Fire Elemental in a mystic forge.

Aegon Spider Climbs to the ceiling and attacks with his bow. Definite win, again, if conditions permit.

A Manticore on the wing above a plain.

Ouch. It deals MUCH better ranged damage, and kills him before it runs out of spikes. Definite loss.

A Phase Spider anywhere. They're tricky creatures like that.

It gets the jump on him, probably hits, takes an attack of opportunity from him, then vanishes, reappearing after the poison triggers both times. He makes the save about half the time, but that falls if he fails one. He’s got about even odds to hit with a 1d8 weapon (if its masterwork), but doesn’t kill it fast enough. Probable loss.

A couple of Centaur Archers in a light to medium wood.

The outmaneuver him and kill him. Probable loss.

A Howler/Allip tag team in an abandoned temple to a dark god.

Worse-than-even odds on being hypnotized, and wisdom drain kills fast. Aegon dies to the Allip without help from the Howler. Definite loss.

A Grimlock assault team (4 members) hidden in a cavern.

He snipes them from the safety of the cavern ceiling. Probable win.

A Cleric of Hextor (with his dozen zombies) in a crypt.

I’m going to assume crypt means the ceilings are low enough he can’t breath-snipe the cleric and has to go to melee. The cleric is a melee beast, and Aegon is not. Definite loss.

Definite Win: 2
Probable Win: 2
Probable Loss: 2
Definite Loss: 4

Feel free to challenge anything you think is off. Its a little worse than 50/50, but I might have judged something poorly because this was ten minutes of distracted effort. So about fighter balance level.

It also looks like it loses much more to the higher level SGTs.

Dayaz
2013-05-01, 12:17 PM
-snip-

If he was a human, he could add in the Entangling Breath metabreath feat which would let him lock something in place and move back to shoot things, so he might trump a couple more of those test fights

That being said, I do somewhat like this version but I'm a little bit of a purist when it comes to the Dragon Shaman, although I do approve of the 1st level breathe weapon

Grod_The_Giant
2013-05-01, 12:29 PM
I'd kick his breath weapon damage up to 2d6/3 levels, given that it can only be used once or twice an encounter. Maybe even 1d6/level.

Noctis Vigil
2013-05-01, 01:29 PM
This guy is probably a low T4, Kane0. Looking back over it while more awake today, I think I overestimated his power last night. He's basically a Fighter with a breath weapon, no bonus feats, and a bunch of situationally-useful passive abilities. In fact, looking back on it, I'd have to say he pretty much needs that dragon transformation earlier; it's one of two actual active abilities you give him. Everything else is passive.

Suggestions for abilities you could add:
Aura of Fear
Bring back the original's healing touch
Dragon transformation early on
Bonus feats (specifically Metabreath feats, but others wouldn't hurt)

Deepbluediver
2013-05-01, 03:52 PM
Although it's not something I've gotten around to exploring in-depth myself, I'm of the general opinion that the Dragon Shaman, Dragonfire Adept, and Dragon Disciple (PrC) should really be combined into one melee-centric class.
Mostly based on that fact that they all share a similar theme and tend to be rated a bit bland on their own.

Relevant to your needs, is there anything from those two classes you would consider looting and grafting onto your revised version? Fore example- a better version of the breath weapon?
Or what about even just gestalting it all together?

Compared the original party, I think he might step on the Fighter's toes a bit, but so long as there's plenty of combat to go around it probably wounldn't be to much of an issue.

Kane0
2013-05-01, 05:11 PM
-Snip-
Thanks for the input. Any Dragon Shaman intending to get into fights would pick up the Vigor aura at one stage or another, which increases their longevity a lot. In any case, that looks like a god guideline to go by, I may just bookmark it.
Shame there isn't a party version though, cause thats there the Dragon Shaman really shines.

That being said, I do somewhat like this version but I'm a little bit of a purist when it comes to the Dragon Shaman, although I do approve of the 1st level breathe weapon
Cheers :smallsmile:

Suggestions for abilities you could add:
Aura of Fear
Bring back the original's healing touch
Dragon transformation early on
Bonus feats (specifically Metabreath feats, but others wouldn't hurt)

I'll look into those. This campaign isn't geared to be really high powered, but it would be good for future use.

-Snip-

Thanks. There are a few tweaks I can think of, i'll see if i can put them in without making it too busy.

I'm also considering adding UMD to the class skills, see if that does anything.

EDIT: Bunch of things added and changed. Looks a tad busy but still manageable. Took stat boosts from the Dragon Disciple and put in a new touch of vitality, as well as the Dragon Form ACF that replaces the new Dragon Body.

Noctis Vigil
2013-05-02, 01:58 AM
Ooo, I like the changes. Now it's a kind of tough choice to pick: stat ups or dragon form? Good job. :smallsmile:

I would change the duration on Aura of Fear to "until they leave the aura", and let reentering grant a new save. Otherwise the foe remains shaken pretty much indefinitely, which is really strong for a power you can nab at Lv1. I'd also possibly add the Aura Bonus to the save, but that's just me.

I like the invocation option, too. Adds lots of flavor and options to the class. I'm fairly sure there's a feat that grants extra auras to the original; you should probably specify if you can use it to take a new invocation or not. Also, what is the Dragon Shaman's caster level for invocations? I'm not familiar with the Dragonfire Adept class off the top of my head, so not sure this is relevant.

Also just noticed: the range increase is static for both the line breath weapons and the cones; this makes the range increase much more useful on cones, which is why the range increase to line breath weapons granted by most powers is longer than that granted to cones. Not a huge issue, but definitely something to consider. I believe, but don't quote me on this, that most standard range increases for line breath weapons are twice as much that for cones, or a 15ft increase to the cone is a 30ft increase to the line, giving lines the superior edge on range but letting cones cover a much larger area.

Lastly, it took me a moment to figure out which ACF replaces what; probably wouldn't hurt to state that in the ACF text.

All in all, I love it; it's a good class that isn't broken and has plenty of options to make it useful and interesting. I'd play one. :smallsmile: (I'd also throw one at my players, but that's a whole other story. :smallamused: )

Kane0
2013-05-02, 06:04 AM
-Snippy-
And that is more or less the best praise a homebrewer can ask for. Thanks Noctis :smallredface:

Good catch on the breath weapon range and fear aura. I was originally thinkin of the ranges being 15'/30', but hadnt changed the numbers when i decided on 30'/60'.
Caster level would be equal to Dragon Shaman level (Dragon Shaman levels would stack with Dragonfire adept levels for breath weapon damage dice, caster level and maximum invocation rank)
Ill also sort out those ACFs, probably by moving them to the bottom.

Noctis Vigil
2013-05-02, 04:41 PM
Hmm, an interesting thought: can I have the same aura active twice once I get the Dual Aura ability? I would assume no, but probably wouldn't hurt to clarify. Also, what type of bonus does the aura grant? Useful to know for the purpose of stacking the aura bonus with other bonuses.

And moving the ACFs makes it a much cleaner read. :smallsmile:

Kane0
2013-05-02, 05:27 PM
Yeah, using the same aura twice to get double the benefit would break a few of them even if it made others viable (vigor as opposed to toughness).

I'm not sure on the bonus type, does Competence sound right? It wouldn't be any kind of luck or magical enhancement, it would be based on skill and confidence (though it is a supernatural ability).

Edit: I've narrowed it down to Competence, Insight or possibly Luck.

Noctis Vigil
2013-05-05, 01:10 PM
Eh, go for luck. After all, dragons strike me as pretty lucky. Insight would be my second choice.

Kane0
2013-05-05, 04:55 PM
They seem more confident and talented to me, also being innate casters and all. That and the power is directly from them, not from the luck they have from whatever the source of their luck is.

Either one works fine though.

Noctis Vigil
2013-05-06, 12:36 AM
Honestly? I could give you a dozen fluff reasons for all three.

Insight: the Dragon Shaman's spiritual connection grants them insight into their draconic totem's powers.

Luck: the Dragon Shaman has been blessed by his totem dragon with luck/power.

Competence: the Dragon Shaman is using his own innate power to make himself more competent.

I like insight bonus, though. Seems to me a shaman would be asking his totem to lead him/inspire him, granting him insight. (I've always enjoyed playing less powerful characters with lots of RP :smallsmile: )

Kane0
2013-05-06, 04:55 AM
Then I guess insight it is!

Lappy9001
2013-05-06, 08:09 PM
I've always liked the idea of the Dragon Shaman, and this is certainly a better implementation than the PHII. However, I still don't know what role the Dragon Shaman is supposed to fill. A buffer would seem to fit the bill, auras are snazzy, as are touch of vitality, and invocations. Bonus class skills instead of skill focus are also a big improvement. Overall, the class is much better but still lacks direction.

Kane0
2013-05-06, 10:18 PM
I see it as kind of like the bard of the party. He can step in at least partially to fill most roles, but exceeds at few of them. It's hard to get a bard right sometimes, and its about knowing your party and capabilities more than a build goal.

For example, the player i made this version for is currently a Black Dragon Shaman taking the natural weapons route. He usually fills in the healing role with his Healing Touch / Vigor Aura (because we lack a healing cleric) and backs up the melees with breaths and flanks. He has ranks in hide/move silently just in case someone needs to go with the rogue for something and holds a few auras in reserve for social encounters. Jack of all trades and definitely worth a party spot, but he won't be taking over for any of the other members for extended periods of time.

Lappy9001
2013-05-08, 12:17 AM
I see it as kind of like the bard of the party. He can step in at least partially to fill most roles, but exceeds at few of them. It's hard to get a bard right sometimes, and its about knowing your party and capabilities more than a build goal.

For example, the player i made this version for is currently a Black Dragon Shaman taking the natural weapons route. He usually fills in the healing role with his Healing Touch / Vigor Aura (because we lack a healing cleric) and backs up the melees with breaths and flanks. He has ranks in hide/move silently just in case someone needs to go with the rogue for something and holds a few auras in reserve for social encounters. Jack of all trades and definitely worth a party spot, but he won't be taking over for any of the other members for extended periods of time.I can definitely see that. I still feel like it needs a bit more 'oomph,' but if your player's enjoying it, that's all that matters :smallsmile: