PDA

View Full Version : Fochlucan Lyrist : the fun support

Shrodinger
2013-04-30, 08:40 PM
Hi there, I recently joined a level 15 campaign. Seeing how my group already has tanks, damage dealers, healers and wizards ; I decided to do a weird kind of support.

Race : Shifter
Classes : Bard 1 / Rogue 2 / Druid 4 / Seeker of the Song 2 / Moonspeaker 3 / Fochulan Lyrist 3

I took the alternative class features : Martial Rogue (Rogue) and Bear Shaman (Druid)

The key feats are : Dragonfire Inspiration and Greenbound Summoning
The key items are : Ring of Mighty Summons and Ring of the Beast
The key spells are : Summon Monster X (BEARS !!) and Mass Snake Swiftness

In short, this character summons a bunch of bears (for improved grapple control on the battlefield) ; plays music to buff the group ; then let everyone else do the job with mass snake swiftness (BEARS !!). It is a blast and the bears tank so well, my DM keeps having to dispelling them ... that's when my wizard buddy starts counterspelling.

Is there any ways you guys think I could improve the fun factor of this character ?? Fun does not mean strong. I really just want to be a fun support.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-01, 10:57 AM
This needs more warweaver. Nothing like mass buff spells from level 1 spell slots. Mix with Geomancer to make all spells work as arcane/divine as you see fit.

Coidzor
2013-05-01, 11:29 AM
This needs more warweaver. Nothing like mass buff spells from level 1 spell slots. Mix with Geomancer to make all spells work as arcane/divine as you see fit.

That is what I initially thought. Not sure if Druid 10 and Bard 4 casting are quite what one wants for warweaver though.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-01, 01:05 PM
Metamagic song for persisted druid buffs maybe? Get more music uses per day and use metamagic song as a metamagic reducer.

Daftendirekt
2013-05-01, 06:14 PM
That is what I initially thought. Not sure if Druid 10 and Bard 4 casting are quite what one wants for warweaver though.

Then scrap the whole bard-druid hybrid thing. While I also have a soft spot for the Fochlucan Lyrist, the truth is it's not that optimal. It's got such weird and difficult requirements and no class features apart from the casting and full BAB.

Shrodinger
2013-05-02, 06:49 PM
Is there any ways you guys think I could improve the fun factor of this character ?? Fun does not mean strong

Remember this quote please.

Chronos
2013-05-02, 11:46 PM
Then scrap the whole bard-druid hybrid thing. While I also have a soft spot for the Fochlucan Lyrist, the truth is it's not that optimal. It's got such weird and difficult requirements and no class features apart from the casting and full BAB.
It looks like it ought to be a perfect PrC chassis, between the two full casting progressions, full BAB, and high skills. With a chassis like that, a boring lack of features can be forgiven. But I've never figured out a way to make it work, with its insane prerequisites.