PDA

View Full Version : Icy Doom

Ruethgar
2013-04-30, 10:41 PM
I have a choice of two different abilities to be used at will and was wondering if the playground could help me decide. The character is very focused on pulling off these effects at the cost of doing pretty much anything else.

Uttercold Aura: Every round of concentration deal 1d3+2 frost damage to all within 10ft automatically and to all within 30ft with a reflex save for half. Also entangles those hit and requires balance DC 10 to move through the area(20 for running).

Frost Barrier: Every round of concentration create 20 one foot cubes of ice +4/level in any simple form you desire within 60ft. So instant 3/4 cover. Walls have 3 HP/inch of thickness, no hardness and take double normal damage from fire. Alternately you could do a ranged touch attack to try and freeze a target, immobilizing them. Strength DC 10+ 1/2 caster level(rounded down) to break free or 9 damage+1 per caster level(excess damage done hits the target).

rollforeigninit
2013-04-30, 10:56 PM
Both are kinda underwhelming IMHO but I'd take the 2nd. at least you can stop something.

Silva Stormrage
2013-04-30, 11:02 PM
See if you can get the swift concentration skill trick to work with them. That would make each ability work a lot better (Its in complete scoundrel)

What class are you playing?

Also for the first one does the entangle last until you stop concentrating? Or does it last like a tanglefoot bag and they have to remove it to end the effect?

Ruethgar
2013-04-30, 11:22 PM
At level 6 one effect can become constant and both effects double. I hadn't really looked in CScoundrel, thank you for that.

It is a priest(AEG: 3 domains, low BAB no armor cleric)/cleric, but that is mostly for the domains which boost the CL for frost barrier and can be changed for a better suggestion.

The entangle lasts until dispelled or 2 rounds after concentration ends(or 2 rounds after they leave the area). Cannot be removed by mundane means.

Edit: Forgot the other wonderful things level 6 brings. Frost Barrier increases 50%(in addition to the blanket 100% increase noted above totaling 300% in one of the rare cases math applies regularly for multipliers) and deals 3 frost damage to whomever touches the ice the first round it is in effect. Uttercold Aura damage increases to 300%, half of which is negative energy.

It must also be noted that the energy type can change daily until level 3 at which point it may change at will for the small cost of one round and 10 health.

Silva Stormrage
2013-04-30, 11:38 PM
Hm with that information I would go with the Frost Barrier, the continuous aura of frost at 6th would be harmful to your allies.

Also the blocks of ice thing is a pretty cool effect XD

Ruethgar
2013-04-30, 11:54 PM
So, Swift Concentration, would that allow the application of a total of three of these effects? Frost barrier constant at 6th, swift action concentration frost barrier trick, standard action uttercold aura?

mangosta71
2013-05-01, 09:54 AM
The aura requires a balance check within 30'? I assume it also affects allies, since smart-targeting is not really a thing in 3.x. Your party is either going to love going to town on flat-footed targets or curse you eternally because they're always flat-footed.

Ruethgar
2013-05-01, 10:57 AM
Since I am going cleric, I could take Shield the Faithful. Hehe might make the party have to worship me for it to take effect. Since "faithful" isn't exactly defined, it could just be faith in my abilities or faith in my god or faith in me as a deity! :smallamused: