PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Shot and Eldritch Blast

Yogibear41
2013-04-30, 11:13 PM
Can you use rapid shot with eldritch blast? I know it isn't listed in the weapon like spells list in complete arcana, but the wording of the original feat seems similar to precise shot, and it seems like an ability that can be used at will should be able to be used with rapid shot.

Sir_Thaddeus
2013-04-30, 11:25 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure that, since Eldritch Blast takes a standard action to invoke, it can only be used once a round (unless you somehow Quicken it), disqualifying it from Rapid Shot. If I recall correctly, when a spell or ability is weapon-like, that just means it requires an attack role, crits on a 20, etc, and works with stuff like Weapon Focus, Point Blank Shot, Improved Critical, etc. If it could be used with Rapid Shot, it would receive iterative attacks from a high BAB, and based on my understanding, that doesn't happen. Basically, only one Eldritch Blast per round.
Bear in mind I don't have my book open at the moment, so all of this may very well be totally wrong.

Keneth
2013-04-30, 11:31 PM
Sir_Thaddeus is correct, no iterative attacks with eldritch blast and no Rapid Shot since you can't make a full attack with it.

Eldritch glaive gives you a full attack, but it's no longer a ranged attack.

HunterOfJello
2013-04-30, 11:34 PM
RAPID SHOT
[GENERAL]
You can use ranged weapons with exceptional speed.
Prerequisites: Dex 13, Point Blank Shot.
Benefit: You can get one extra attack per
round with a ranged weapon. The attack is at your
highest base attack bonus, but each attack you
make in that round (the extra one and the normal
ones) takes a –2 penalty. You must use the full
attack action (see page 143) to use this feat.

Rapid Shot only works during a full attack action. Eldritch Blast is an SLA that takes a standard action to use. It isn't part of a full attack action.

~~~~~~~~~

That said, Eldritch Blast is pretty sad as it is RAW. It could really benefit from iterative attacks. If I was DMing, I'd allow it.

Keneth
2013-05-01, 12:05 AM
That said, Eldritch Blast is pretty sad as it is RAW. It could really benefit from iterative attacks. If I was DMing, I'd allow it.

Which is why just about every single warlock remake (including mine) give them iterative attacks. :smallbiggrin: