PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Seeking advice on gear for a Summoner/Blood God Disciple

Raegar
2013-04-30, 11:17 PM
Context:
It has been brought to my attention that my fighter is "just too good." In an effort to balance out the party I am going to be rolling a new character at 8th level.

As a recovering min/maxer, I feel compelled to make every character as good as possible. I've decided that the solution here is to take a fun and flavorful class, find a subpar archetype that I find interesting, and try to make it interesting and competitive instead of insanely overpowered. I want to provide a similar role, high AC/HP, so that the team dynamic isn't affected negatively.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback you can provide, any insight you may have on the Blood God Disciple archetype, and any recommendations on gear to purchase.

Character Creation Rules:
25 point buy, HP is 1/2 hit die rounded up, and 12,023G (2/3 current character wealth)

Character:
Raegar Tanook
Male Human(Shoanti) Summoner(Blood God Disciple) - Level 8
Str 18, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 16
Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +5
AC:12 HP:82 Init: +2

Melee Lance +10/+5 (1d8+6/x3)

Spells
3 (3/day) Heroism, Stoneskin, Rejuvenate Eidolon
2 (5/day) Evolution Surge, Lesser (DC 15), Bull's Strength, Haste, Restore Eidolon, Lesser (DC 15)
1 (5/day) Rejuvenate Eidolon, Lesser, Shield, Mage Armor, Enlarge Person (DC 14), Life Conduit
0 (at will) Resistance, Acid Splash, Read Magic, Mage Hand, Detect Magic, Mending

Ability Increases 4th level(+1 Str), 8th level(+1 Con)
Alternate Racial Dual Talent(+2 Str, +2 Con)
Feats Death from Above, Mounted Combat (1/round), Racial Heritage (Half-Orc), Ride-by Attack
Traits Bully, Heirloom Weapon (Proficiency) (Lance)
Skills Intimidate +8, Ride +13

Eidolon:
Sang
Quadruped - Large Outsider
Str 26, Dex 15, Con 17, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 11
Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +2
AC:21 HP:51 Init: +2

Melee
Bite (Bite) +13 (1d8+8/x2)
Claw x2 (Claws) +13 x2 (1d8+8/x2)

Feats Combat Reflexes (3 AoO/round), Flyby Attack, Power Attack -2/+4
Skills Acrobatics +2 (+6 jump), Bluff +4, Climb +12, Fly +9, Knowledge (planes) +2, Perception +9, Sense Motive +4, Stealth +7, Survival +4, Swim +12

Evolutions
1pt. - Claws
2pt. - Flight (Wings)
1pt. - Improved Damage (Claws)
4pt. - Large Size
1pt. - Mount
1pt. - Pounce
1pt. -Reach Claw

Backstory
Adopted into Tanook-Quah (Blood Clan) of the Shoanti people, Raegar has always been a hot-tempered individual. Many of Raegar's friends and family believe that he has some orc blood in him, though none of his features other than his size portray it.

After completing his right of passage, Raegar found his calling in service to Gorum. Coming to him in a dream, Gorum blessed Raegar with the ability to call forth an eidolon in exchange for killing in the name of the Lord of Iron.

Raegar is not an evil man, but his fury lends itself well to the acts of fighting and war. When he enters combat, he says a brief prayer to Gorum and does his best to present a spectacular battle.

Though Raegar was brought up to fight only in self defense, he has a tendency to provoke others into swinging first...

Character/Party Dynamic
Our party currently has a Sorcerer, Psion, Ranger, two Clerics (one good, one "neutral"), a Monk, and a Bard. We used to have a rogue and a paladin, but they were unable to continue playing.

My hope is that this character will function like a mounted meat shield. Our healing Cleric spends a lot of time in the back keeping out casters alive, so I wanted to make something that could fend for itself to some extent. As we are a rather large party, I did not want to mess around too much with the Summon Monster SLA, so I ran with the Blood Disciple concept.

I expect that I will be channeling and healing my eidolon most of the time. When I'm not healing, I want to use the evolution surge to grant protection or elemental attacks. At most, I'll be able to ride/fly-by attack with the lance and three natural attacks from the eidolon.

EDIT:
I'm considering an Amulet of Mighty Fists +1, Mithral Armor +1, and a Ring of Sustenance. This should leave me with enough money to try and get the Lance made masterwork through the spell "Masterwork Transformation," then potentially get it enchanted.