PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Werewolf DR with Regeneration?

Mcdt2
2013-04-30, 11:25 PM
How much of a difference would it be were I to change the DR/Silver offered by lycanthrope templates into regeneration, like a troll? It just seems to fit better with certain interpretations of werewolves. If possible, I'd like it to remain at a similar level of strength. I was considering a regen score of 5 for inflicted, 10 for natural lycans, but I am undecided on that.

The only issue I could foresee is that it makes the need to carry silver even greater, because of the increased possible threat it provides and how difficult it makes it to properly kill a lycanthrope. I am thinking of adding [Moon] spells to their weaknesses (Slight problem: this tag does not exist :smallredface:. Guess I'll have to add it. First step will be the damage spells in the Moon Domain of course.) I do not know if that is enough

NOTE: I am using the Vancian to Psionics (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194002k) translation, which is where I got the Moon Domain I mentioned. As such, no vancian casters exist in my setting.

Nettlekid
2013-04-30, 11:30 PM
It would make them substantially more durable, which I think is a plus since especially at higher levels, DR is almost negligible, while Regeneration is something that you need to deal with sooner or later if you want to kill something. With the DR, anyone without a silver weapon is just going to have to hack a little harder for a little longer before the werewolf is dead. Magic-users bypass it entirely with energy spells. But with the Regeneration, they can clobber it all they like, but if they don't finish it with a silver weapon then the werewolf will eventually reawaken. I think it's thematic and adds a level of challenge to the party, not only in battle but also to be prepared.

TuggyNE
2013-04-30, 11:38 PM
As Nettlekid said, it's basically down to one question: do you want the monster to be killable without silver/[death] effects, or not? If no, use Regeneration; if yes, use Fast Healing and a weakness to silver, or DR/silver. Regeneration is one of those odd abilities where the actual numeric value tagged on it is basically meaningless; the only thing that really matters is the non-lethal conversion.

illyrus
2013-04-30, 11:45 PM
I'd probably do one of the two personally:
Remove 2 points off the DR, give them fast healing 1, keep CR the same.
or
I'd cut their DR in half and then give them 2 (inflicted) and 5 (natural) regen and bump the CR of at least the natural by +1.

From what I remember of the fluff the DR is supposed to be near instant healing instead of the blade bouncing off. With a mixture the fluff could be the flesh wounds heal instantly and the deeper hits can take a bit more time but they will still magically heal. Dunno if that helps.

KillingAScarab
2013-04-30, 11:57 PM
The only issue I could foresee is that it makes the need to carry silver even greater, because of the increased possible threat it provides and how difficult it makes it to properly kill a lycanthrope.What about alchemical silver (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#silverAlchemical)? Can't you add that to any common metal weapon? Better yet, use the quicksilver (yes, really) alchemical weapon capsules from Complete Adventurer, since that actually tells you how long it takes to apply (1 standard action to coat like an oil or 1 swift action if attached to the weapon with a 100 gp retainer). Only a 3 round duration, but if it's the killing blow, you don't need that much time and it's 50 gp per capsule (DC 30 craft alchemy check).

TuggyNE
2013-05-01, 12:22 AM
What about alchemical silver (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#silverAlchemical)? Can't you add that to any common metal weapon?

Alchemical silver is the silver being discussed. That's what it means. (You can temporarily change the effective metal of a weapon, but you can't have something that's e.g. adamantine and silver simultaneously; only the most "prevalent" material counts for DR bypassing.)

Yogibear41
2013-05-01, 12:59 AM
Ravenloft lycanthropes can have fast healing, or elemental resistances or other powers, it talks about them on page 189 of the ravenloft campaing setting.

Also you may want to look at the wolf-were in the ravenloft monster manual type book, its basically the reverse of the werewolf, but the greater version of it has DR and Regeneration and you could use its stats as a guideline for something to go by.

PersonMan
2013-05-01, 02:12 AM
From what I remember of the fluff the DR is supposed to be near instant healing instead of the blade bouncing off. With a mixture the fluff could be the flesh wounds heal instantly and the deeper hits can take a bit more time but they will still magically heal. Dunno if that helps.

Fast Healing has a fairly wide-range fluff - instant healing is mentioned as one option among the possible interpretations.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-01, 06:24 AM
Eh, make it regen with a weakness to silver and fire. Now they are tough, but no party but the most totally unprepared can burn the body. It makes killing a lycanthrope harder, but doesn't make the fight too much more difficult.

PersonMan
2013-05-01, 07:13 AM
Eh, make it regen with a weakness to silver and fire. Now they are tough, but no party but the most totally unprepared can burn the body. It makes killing a lycanthrope harder, but doesn't make the fight too much more difficult.

I think you mean "No party but the most totally unprepared can't burn the body".

As is, you're saying that only the most unprepared parties can burn the body.

DeltaEmil
2013-05-01, 09:16 AM
You could make the werewolf's resilience like in D&D 4th edition, where they heal some hit points at the start of their turn whenever they have at least 1 hit point, but when they take damage from a silvered weapon, their healing doesn't work on the next turn.
So in D&D 3.x terms, fast healing that is deactivated for 1 round whenever somebody deals damage to the werewolf with a silvered weapon.