PDA

View Full Version : [PF] How to make a Tiny meleer?

Arbane
2013-05-01, 03:33 AM
What it says on the title. Are there any feats or such that can let a Tiny creature be effective in melee (as a Rogue or such) without eating AoOs constantly from needing to be in the enemy's space?

Keneth
2013-05-01, 03:55 AM
A tiny magus with high Dexterity, Dervish Dance and maxed out Acrobatics for tumbling is pretty awesome. Sadly you can't tumble in medium or heavy armor, but as a tiny creature, buying anything above light armor is counterproductive anyway since you only get half the AC bonus from it, so mage armor is the better option. Take a trait that gives you Acrobatics as a class skill plus Magical Lineage and you're golden. Being tiny also means you can remain in an enemy's space at the end of your round, so you only provoke one AoO when you move into their space anyway. And being a spellcaster, you can also buff yourself considerably in or before combat.

If you don't want to play a gish, you can also make a rogue or other purely physical class with a similar build. But it's nowhere near as cool as when something tiny pokes you in the shin with a glorified toothpick for massive damage. :smallbiggrin:

Xerxus
2013-05-01, 04:07 AM
Kensai magus don't need no fancy armor.

Keneth
2013-05-01, 04:21 AM
True, but the benefits of a Kensai don't really outweigh the losses in my opinion. You get fewer spell and lose improved spell recall for superior reflexes which is pretty much useless with a reach of 0 feet. You also lose knowledge pool so you get fewer spells known as well (which is important if you don't get access to spells elsewhere). You get severely crippled in the spellcasting department for what? Better crits and some initiative bonus? Canny defense is nice but there are better ways to buff your AC if need be.

avr
2013-05-01, 04:33 AM
Clerics, oracles and paladins can cast the Grace (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/g/grace) spell to avoid AoO's.

Keneth
2013-05-01, 04:58 AM
It's expensive as hell for a single-round spell though. It's more of an "I'm getting the hell out of here", or "I'm charging the mage in the back", than a "I'll use this to approach every enemy" type of spell. :smallsmile:

Arc_knight25
2013-05-01, 07:24 AM
My friend made a tiny melee character in PF by being a Voodoo doll. You are a tiny construct, so your gonna need a way to mend yourself, or have someone in the party that can. He went Barbarian and stacked that strength as high as it could go. Not sure what feats he took but i think he was doing roughly 1d2+16 with a 2hander. Bam! right in the toe.

Metahuman1
2013-05-01, 07:29 AM
Paladin mounted on a small mount comes to mind. Maybe a Paladin.

Use a lance.

If your Str Score is less then 13, get it up to 13, you need power attack.

If your Str Score is 13 and you don't think you can get it up any higher, use a shield.

If your Str Score is more then 13, two hand the lance.

Oh, and of course invest in the mounted combat feat line and Power Attack.

killem2
2013-05-01, 07:30 AM
I think this would be a strong case for a tiny Clawlock :).

stack
2013-05-01, 07:32 AM
Magus with bladed dash (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/bladed-dash)? Could take the wand-wielder arcana to get more uses of it after you get some levels.

Blyte
2013-05-01, 10:40 AM
a reduced halfling with a reach weapon wouldn't be bad.

risky striker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/arg-feats/risky-striker-combat-halfling)

stack
2013-05-01, 11:10 AM
Whip wielding magus, perhaps? Still get usable reach. Scorpion whip or whip mastery to get around limitations. Truestrike for trip/disarm checks.

prufock
2013-05-01, 11:50 AM
Is it PF-only or PF/3.5. If the latter, check out The Other Killer Gnome (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872846/I_May_Be_Tiny,_But_Youre_Dead:_the_other,_melee_Ki ller_Gnome,_for_your_pleasure.). May not all translate (I'm not that familiar with PF) but you might be able to get some ideas.

Arkwright
2013-05-01, 01:47 PM
Crane Style to negate the AOO?

Just keep in mind that you'll need to watch out for your CMD; all to easily for some of those big medium-sized fellas to squash you.